DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I get a lag on my iPad but hubby doesn't -- suggestions please!

daisy-girl

Reactions
Hubby has DJI 4.1.20 on his older model of the iPad Mini 4. My newer model has 4.2.6. We both have FW 01.03.1000.

Both of us have turned off all apps other than DJI GO 4. We've also turned off updating of the iOS.

His version of the iOS is 11.1 (15B93). Mine is 11.25 (15D60).

Both of us fly with the iPad Home button to the right.

Changing the 10-inch right-angle cable from the RC’s USB port to my iPad did not help.

Results:

When I start DJI GO 4, I get a message that the CPU is “overloaded, which may affect performance” and which is exactly what happens -- there is a lag on the screen of my iPad 4 (but not on playback on our 52-inch 1080p HDTV)

He gets no such message from DJI GO 4, and there is no lag.

Suggestions please!

You mentioned CPU, are they both built identical; same year model, same processor, same memory, etc. That would be my only thought, except for checking to see if one is flying on wifi and the other not. For example, if you have a mobile hotspot, is yours connected to wifi via hotspot on your pad. If so, turn the wifi switch on the drone to RC.

My lags when I reach the signal boundry which can be caused by my not positioning the antenna correctly. I once thought you pointed the tips at the drone, which is the worst antenna/drone position.

hope you get it figured out

hope you get it figured out

Our suspicion is that the more recent version of DJI GO is the culprit, so we are searching on this site for the method to roll it back.

In addition, I may take both units to the Apple Store today to ask the Geek Squad to verify that my unit is in the same state as his and that there is no other problem (I have AppleCare on mine).

Our suspicion is that the more recent version of DJI GO is the culprit, so we are searching on this site for the method to roll it back.

In addition, I may take both units to the Apple Store today to ask the Geek Squad to verify that my unit is in the same state as his and that there is no other problem (I have AppleCare on mine).
Just curious if you’ve warped pads to see if the issue transfers to the other bird

Reactions: ICHOTT
I may take both units to the Apple Store today to ask the Geek Squad to verify that my unit is in the same state as his and that there is no other problem (I have AppleCare on mine).

UPDATE: The Apple "Genius" says that he's turned off everything on both cells except access to iCloud -- but he also explained how to reject any attempted updates to the iOS, so we guess are ok with that, as it's possible Apple will introduce some new feature that is a "must-have," provided it is possible to roll it back if it causes problems.

BTW, he said to turn off not only Cellular on hubby's but also WiFI on both, as neither is needed for the devices to be GPS-capable. "Turn on WiFi only if you are at home with a strong signal and you need to download something," he said.

Finally, he did confirm that that the newer iPad Mini 4 now comes with an "embedded" Apple SIM, so it's true that there is no need to change SIMs if ever I wish to buy data in any of over 180 countries.

Hubby, however, is with AT&T, so he would need to switch SIM cards -- except he now says that since he would be using it for business, his employer would likely pay for one like mine with the embedded Apple SIM. :D

UPDATE on 3/23@1245: Eureka!

I don't know what the "genius" at Apple did to my phone, but I took both hubby's gray iPad Mini 4 and my silver out to fly this -- and to my surprise, there is no longer any lagginess when flying.

I'm so glad to know this, as I dreaded the idea of rolling back the version of the iOS.

Many thanks to all those who offered suggestions. Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Yes, we did that early.Only my iPad exhibits the lag.

Great, I think what I would do next, before rolling back, is actually to update both to the latest so everything matches and see if it introduces a lag to his, if it does then by all means roll both back and see how that is, otherwise we need to keep looking !

Check camera video settings on both Mavics, also check cache settings , check the display setting on both as well. the iPads are set the same features for everything??? I just updated my Firmware and I fly with A iPad mini 4 non cellular, I'll check for lag and report back after test flights. Waiting on weather to change.

Something I forgot on another thread was the effect of SD cards, with respect to latency. Some cards write faster. One post mentioned that the SD card inserted into “DJI goggles” cause the issue. I transferred mine from drone to goggles and found no issue but I have the fastest read/write card I could find.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929