DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I got Charlie Brown-ed .... ouch

icecoldgin

Reactions
It had to happen, finally.

I got Charlie Brown-ed. And as he says, "the sun was in my eyes" and I got nicked by the MA2's props while doing a hand catch.

My fault really. It was bright, the sun was up and in my eyes, and I miscalculated the location of my fingers relative to the belly of the MA2.

Luckily, only my pointer finger nicked the drone's props, then the drone swayed wildly but quickly stabilized. It didn't even get near my head or I just ducked quick enough. I still hand caught the drone but had to clean it up immediately as it had some blood.

Now I am battle scarred. The MA2 has tasted blood. It was the fault of the sun for being in the wrong place at the wrong time ?

Lesson learned - do the hand catching slowly but surely and make sure that your fingers are in the right place.

More lesson learned - do not fear or let this incident define you. After what happened, I am still doing hand catching and loving it, notwithstanding my bandaged pointer finger ;)

Postscript: it was just two small nicks but a bit deep. This happened 2 days ago and it is dry and healed already. Bandages are still there to ensure that the dry open skin remains sterile.

Last edited:
We have never gotten bit yet, but i do have a list of close calls.

Rain and Snow
Sun and Wind
Dogs
Friends wanting to step in for the catch
Boat Waves and Reaching out and leaning over

Refining your system of risk comes with the cuts and close calls,
and than the break thu happens to never underestimate the Focus needed to negotiate the drone in the air.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

'I got Charlie Brown-ed. And as he says, "the sun was in my eyes"'

Actually it was Lucy that kept making excuses like that for not catching the ball.

CB's problem was kite eating trees, and Lucy promising not to pull the football when he goes to run and kick it, but she does it anyway and he lands on his back.

• Haha
Reactions: A.O. and MA2 317
'I got Charlie Brown-ed. And as he says, "the sun was in my eyes"'

Actually it was Lucy that kept making excuses like that for not catching the ball.

CB's problem was kite eating trees, and Lucy promising not to pull the football when he goes to run and kick it, but she does it anyway and he lands on his back.
Darn. I got Lucy-ed then.

;) ?

Don't need to catch it. Just let it hover within reach (and sight), then pick it out of the air.

Reactions: hiflyer201
It had to happen, finally.

I got Charlie Brown-ed. And as he says, "the sun was in my eyes" and I got nicked by the MA2's props while doing a hand catch.

My fault really. It was bright, the sun was up and in my eyes, and I miscalculated the location of my fingers relative to the belly of the MA2.

Luckily, only my pointer finger nicked the drone's props, then the drone swayed wildly but quickly stabilized. It didn't even get near my head or I just ducked quick enough. I still hand caught the drone but had to clean it up immediately as it had some blood.

Now I am battle scarred. The MA2 has tasted blood. It was the fault of the sun for being in the wrong place at the wrong time ?

Lesson learned - do the hand catching slowly but surely and make sure that your fingers are in the right place.

More lesson learned - do not fear or let this incident define you. After what happened, I am still doing hand catching and loving it, notwithstanding my bandaged pointer finger ;)

Postscript: it was just two small nicks but a bit deep. This happened 2 days ago and it is dry and healed already. Bandages are still there to ensure that the dry open skin remains sterile.
Keep in mind, you cant control the sun. You can do this though. Things dont happen 2 you, they happen 4 you. It's what I call the 2/4 quandary.

Incoming. Flying on a cold day over the mississippi river. ?

Attachments

• go_photo_1609184659912.jpg
    go_photo_1609184659912.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 24
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member