DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I got it!!!! Dji mini 2

Congratulations. You're going to have more fun than you can possibly imagine now.

Check out the Pilot Institute's intro course to the Mini 2. It'll cover all the basics and get you started in the right direction. And get the TRUST certificate.

Start slow. Fly safe. Have fun. Share the fun with some photos and stories here.

Edit: I just noticed that you're in Canada. Never mind on the TRUST certificate. Look for the Canadian equivalent.

Hey congratulations. I just got mine too recently. Just be careful. Make sure to check your Return To Home settings. I've got mine set to Return to home point after getting to 170 feet in the air to avoid trees and such. Just set it for the area your flying in. Today I lost signal abruptly and it returned to home just like how i set it. Just a little advice.

Reactions: cmiranda
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I too am a Mini 2 Flyer and I know the excitement of flight. So, if I may offer some advice.

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). Open the front legs, open the back legs of your drone, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Mini 2. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby;" also read over the user's manual… the link is below in case you did not get one…

Happy Droning

Congratulations. You're going to have more fun than you can possibly imagine now.

Check out the Pilot Institute's intro course to the Mini 2. It'll cover all the basics and get you started in the right direction. And get the TRUST certificate.
Congratulations and welcome to the party! Prepare to go down the rabbit hole. :cool:

I'll second Pilot Institute. Greg is an engaging instructor and does a pretty good job of making some of the boring info interesting. I'm taking his Part 107 course now after taking his free Mini 2 course.

I would also recommend his Drone Maneuvers Mastery course. He takes you through 1- through 4-star exercises to familiarize yourself with the controls. I'm wrapping up the 2-star ones now. They get you thinking. Hopefully by the end of this, I'll be able to fly like a pro.

Start slow. Fly safe. Have fun. Share the fun with some photos and stories here.

Edit: I just noticed that you're in Canada. Never mind on the TRUST certificate. Look for the Canadian equivalent.
I want to add my firm endorsement of Pilot Institute's Mini-2 "Deep Dive" course.

In fact, it's so good, I may go back and watch it again, since it's come up here!

:)

Here's a three step suggestion:

1) Read the manual cover-to-cover before you fly.
2) Watch both the Mini-2 Deep Dive and the basic maneuvers courses at Pilot Institute.
3) Start doing the exercises in the course, and as you start to feel more confident, go a little farther, a little higher, and a little faster.

Beware the addiction! Mini-2s have been known to cause that...

:cool:

TCS

I am also a brand new pilot, and I was lucky to have found this great bunch of folks. Listen to the advice here, I did and that advice has saved me from doing something stupid. Let me tell a short story, about a month before I got into this drone flying (Mini 2) my wife and I were walking our small Maltese pup in downtown Pensacola. The pup was only about 9 months old, we always walk her with one of those shock wraps cause she is afraid of loud noise (Thunder, Motorcycles, etc., etc). From nowhere comes this Mini 2, and it bounced off the roadway onto the sidewalk and hit the pup, scared the crap out of the dog, but she was okay. I found the drone pilot, a kid about 12 with his mom, and they were looking for their drone. I would not give it back to them until the police showed up. Of course, at that time I knew nothing about drones or the basic rules. I am guessing the kid just took it out of the box, took it downtown over the heads of a crowded main street full of people and cars, lost the signal and the drone fell. If he had the drone configured right it would have landed or returned home when it lost signal, and if he had done his homework he would have known that flying over people, cars, and private property is a big no, no. Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is (Don't be that person) Have fun, keep your hopes up high, and your head down low, salute!

@MavicMini2Rookie you make an excellent point and one that really has me scratching my head.

I've been sharing my drone adventures with some friends and the resounding question is: how do people know what to do?

Maybe there was packing material that I skimmed/missed about getting started but there are a lot of rules/regulations. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people that just run out to Best Buy or Amazon, get a drone, and start flying. If nothing else, I feel more driven about trying to educate people even though I'm a newb myself.

Well! That is a very touchy subject. I will jump in with my two cents. I think that for the safety sake of all, proof of knowledge should be mandatory. We require knowledge rests of almost everything else, why not drone pilots. We have part 107, why not make the TRUST certificate and registration mandatory, just my opioion, salute!

Congratulations! The Mini 2 is a sweet drone and a fun to fly. I have one and it travels with me constantly.

Cheers!

Well! That is a very touchy subject. I will jump in with my two cents. I think that for the safety sake of all, proof of knowledge should be mandatory. We require knowledge rests of almost everything else, why not drone pilots. We have part 107, why not make the TRUST certificate and registration mandatory, just my opioion, salute!

The TRUST certificate is already required for non-Part 107 pilots. I'd be happy to see registration required for drones above a certain level of complexity or weight. The EU has different standards based on whether the drone has a camera. Weight might be another possibility.

@ThatBeardedDroneGuy is right about there not being adequate information supplied in the box with drones. It's entirely too easy for someone to buy a drone and fly it without having any idea that there are regulations and common-sense good practices involved.

I am also a brand new pilot, and I was lucky to have found this great bunch of folks. Listen to the advice here, I did and that advice has saved me from doing something stupid. Let me tell a short story, about a month before I got into this drone flying (Mini 2) my wife and I were walking our small Maltese pup in downtown Pensacola. The pup was only about 9 months old, we always walk her with one of those shock wraps cause she is afraid of loud noise (Thunder, Motorcycles, etc., etc). From nowhere comes this Mini 2, and it bounced off the roadway onto the sidewalk and hit the pup, scared the crap out of the dog, but she was okay. I found the drone pilot, a kid about 12 with his mom, and they were looking for their drone. I would not give it back to them until the police showed up. Of course, at that time I knew nothing about drones or the basic rules. I am guessing the kid just took it out of the box, took it downtown over the heads of a crowded main street full of people and cars, lost the signal and the drone fell. If he had the drone configured right it would have landed or returned home when it lost signal, and if he had done his homework he would have known that flying over people, cars, and private property is a big no, no. Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is (Don't be that person) Have fun, keep your hopes up high, and your head down low, salute!

So, what's the rest of the story? How did the police handle the situation?

It doesn't sound like a lost signal caused the crash. Any of the lost signal modes (RTH, land, hover) would have precluded a flight-into-terrain event like you described.

Yes, I'm in Canada. Start reading the material for the basic certification exam.

Like you, I am also just guessing that it was the boy and his mother that called the police…

@MavicMini2Rookie you make an excellent point and one that really has me scratching my head.

I've been sharing my drone adventures with some friends and the resounding question is: how do people know what to do?

Maybe there was packing material that I skimmed/missed about getting started but there are a lot of rules/regulations. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people that just run out to Best Buy or Amazon, get a drone, and start flying. If nothing else, I feel more driven about trying to educate people even though I'm a newb myself.
I think that's the right approach.

I think the FAA did the right thing by requiring the TRUST certificate. I don't think it would be a good idea to establish a Drone Gestapo to go chase 12 year old kids, but it might well be reasonable to mandate that a little blurb on TRUST be physically included with every drone package sold in the USA.

Thx,

Another Bearded Drone Guy

The TRUST certificate is mandatory, and that's a good idea.

I also think 250g is a reasonable dividing line between when a drone must be registered, and when it's optional.

Perfect safety is not an option.

TCS

I seem to always fall back on YouTube to get Good and Bad Information. Try searching "Flying a drone in Canada" in the search field of YouTube.

You can also do this in Google, but the YouTube Videos often have the links to all the pertinent sites that you need to read and the video often summarizes the web site so you are not wasting time…

Here are a few links to get you started…

New Mavic Mini and Mini 2 Guidelines for Canada! Sub 250 Drone Rules

Understanding Canadian Drone Laws For Sub 250g Drones (DJI Mini 1 & 2)

Good Luck and Good Flying…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest