DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I had my first atti mode experience!!

droneuser

Reactions
I had my first atti mode happen yesterday I was flying around having a great time then all of a sudden compass error!

switching to atti mode!! good news I didn't crash!!!

it lasted for a couple of mins then the Gps came back but I have no idea why it happen!!

its been working fine after that.

I wish I knew why it did it

I wish I knew why it did it
Always keep an eye on the opening screen of the Go 4 app when you start up for any system messages, like cpmpass error. Do a compass calibration if you have any doubts. It tales 20 seconds and will help avoid compass errors....
Cheers, Ian

Reactions: WAXMAN
Its been my habit to do a compass calibration each time I go out and fly my MP. Other people are saying to only do it when the app asks you to. When I first got my drone, I watched bunch of videos and followed one guy’s channel and his advise is to do it everytime. I’ve never had any problem so far (knock on wood).

I had my first atti mode happen yesterday I was flying around having a great time then all of a sudden compass error!

switching to atti mode!! good news I didn't crash!!!

it lasted for a couple of mins then the Gps came back but I have no idea why it happen!!

its been working fine after that.
If you still have the logs from the flight it should provide clues as to the "why?".

Reactions: geigy
Its been my habit to do a compass calibration each time I go out and fly my MP. Other people are saying to only do it when the app asks you to. When I first got my drone, I watched bunch of videos and followed one guy’s channel and his advise is to do it everytime. I’ve never had any problem so far (knock on wood).
Just as a counter-point, I never do a calibration unless requested by the device, I've never had any problems.

Reactions: Pipes101
If you still have the logs from the flight it should provide clues as to the "why?".

yes I have been looking at them and nothing meaning no other warnings that I could find

Hmm. . . :rolleyes:

My Air goes into atti when Im flying in narrow (10-15m wide) canyons and there is a stream at the bottom. Opti gets freaked out by the motion, even if just a still pond. Whats especially unnerving for me is I’m usually in tripod mode going super cautious (lots of twiggy branches in these canyons) and getting kicked into atti drops me into a twitchy and “hot” controls. With wind drift pushing the Air around too! Atti does NOT lock in location even if you push the (II) Pause button on the controller. You are in charge brother! Fortunately I come from a long line of dead Phantoms (from 1.0) where you learned Atti or else. Still, getting into it without warning, and usually in a hairy setting takes all your skills.

Im almost positive there were solar flares last weekend. i was out Sunday for a short period as well and had it happen to me. I havent taken the time to go back and look but I am thinking that may have been the issue.

Reactions: Afremont
In such cases it shall be possible to do an emmergency compass calibration by simply turning the Mavic around its yaw axis for a few times. Then it should re-enter GPS mode. Didn't test it yet as my Mavic never has fallen into Atti mode.

i was in atti mode a couple of weeks ago near an airport. i was cleared & legal - but the only way i could fly was in atti. i did the job anyway. no tripod mode - but it all worked out.

With respect, I do not understand why people fly these drones if they can't handle ATTI mode. To me it was a no brainer to get a cheap (100$) drone and learn how to actually fly these things, manually correcting height, yaw, roll and pitch on the go in windy conditions. In my opinion knowing fundamental flying basics (sort of equals to flying ATTI, but even ATTI is easier since it usually holds attitude) is a given before flying drones where there might be other people around (within a few hundred yards). Do people disagree with this statement? I just get a bit annoyed when I read about people crashing or losing control because the drone entered ATTI mode.. It's still flying!! Its not like the drone is falling out of the sky, its just the "autopilot" that got disengaged, and you have to fly it yourself for a change...

=) No pun intended, and let me know if this was uncalled for. This is not ment specifically for the person(s) in this thread. I believe we would have a lot less crashes, accidents and scary situations with potential injury if all drone pilots knew how to fly their drones...

Last edited:
Reactions: tpratt83687
With respect, I do not understand why people fly these drones if they can't handle ATTI mode. To me it was a no brainer to get a cheap (100$) drone and learn how to actually fly these things, manually correcting height, yaw, roll and pitch on the go in windy conditions. In my opinion knowing fundamental flying basics (sort of equals to flying ATTI, but even ATTI is easier since it usually holds attitude) is a given before flying drones where there might be other people around (within a few hundred yards). Do people disagree with this statement? I just get a bit annoyed when I read about people crashing or losing control because the drone entered ATTI mode.. It's still flying!! Its not like the drone is falling out of the sky, its just the "autopilot" that got disengaged, and you have to fly it yourself for a change...

=) No pun intended, and let me know if this was uncalled for. This is not ment specifically for the person(s) in this thread. I believe we would have a lot less crashes, accidents and scary situations with potential injury if all drone pilots knew how to fly their drones...
It might be a no brainier to you but it surely isn't written in the manual to put tin foil over the back of the MP to force it in atti mode so you can learn how to fly...

To me it is a bit similar to buying a small sailboat before buying the bigger 40 ft sailboat you always wanted, to learn and get used to sailing. Some things should be understood by common sense without having to read it in some manual somewhere..

My intentions saying this (at least my hope) is to raise awareness, hoping more people will get a cheap drone (and by cheap I just mean a drone without any fancy sensors, gps, etc., and that you don't care crashing a few times like this one that I bought for 30 bucks) and learn how to actually fly, before getting a more expensive drone. That way they will feel much more confident if something were to happen (like sudden ATTI mode in between trees etc.) and they have a MUCH greater chance of not crashing.

Obviously I can only speak for myself, but there have been several occasions where I am very happy that I know how to fly the thing when ATTI mode is engaged. It always happens when least expecting it and when I need the drone to stand still due to obstacles... Typical... =)

I fly my air and P4 daily. Flight hours are critical to becoming a skilled drone pilot. I have experienced many GPS disconnects but have recovered the quad everytime. Remember this rule, like any other flying aircraft, pilot error is more likely than not the cause of accidents.

YES!! It's so simple and quick to do, why NOT do it for each flight! I will do it for every flight location change. Will not do it for repeat flights at the same location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder