DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have a question about National parks?

summerplumber

Reactions
I live about 350 miles from a National Park that has a shore line on a very large lake. So were does the park end? At the waters edge so I can fly from my boat along the water? Or not at all?

If you look at Airmap or Kitty hawk, what do they say? If the park surrounds the lake , the lake is part of the park.
If it just is part of the lake, you will need to check. For example, Cape Lookout boundaries extend from 100 ft to 1 mile from shore - but that is ocean/sound not a lake.

The place is Pictured Rock in the UP of Michigan the lake is Lake Superior.

I can't tell for sure...but it seems like the park boundries extend into lake Superior about .5 miles.

Last edited:
I found vf map .com and it shows the park extending out into the water far enough to not take any pics.
Plus I think it extends out to a small light house on a island. No fly zone .

What would happen if you launch from a PWC .5 miles off shore and flew towards the National Park? Would the drone just hit a virtual wall and not proceed further?

Shon, the answer is no, the drone keeps going.

I actually live in a national park (within the boundaries). My drone flies fine above my house. Went out on a boat on the lake next to the park (the lake is actually Native American reservation) and also did not have an issue.

I make sure that I do not take off from, land on or control from park property. (I have discussed it with the local Park Ranger).

Remember, only the FAA can can control the airspace.

Shon, the answer is no, the drone keeps going.

I actually live in a national park (within the boundaries). My drone flies fine above my house. Went out on a boat on the lake next to the park (the lake is actually Native American reservation) and also did not have an issue.

I make sure that I do not take off from, land on or control from park property. (I have discussed it with the local Park Ranger).

Remember, only the FAA can can control the airspace.

Olympics- wonderful country! Worked as a seasonal backcountry ranger for a few years. You can also fly out of Olympic National Forest Since the forest service is open to flying drones. I live in the desert now and can’t imagine what it would be like to fly up there, it must be amazing going between those trees at Quinault!

Shon, Istrait is correct- You can fly over that area from outside, but be careful it’s not an special restriction area on the FAA sectional charts - check here by scrolling the map to your areas:

Last edited:
Olympics- wonderful country! Worked as a seasonal backcountry ranger for a few years. You can also fly out of Olympic National Forest Since the forest service is open to flying drones. I live in the desert now and can’t imagine what it would be like to fly up there, it must be amazing going between those trees at Quinault!

Shon, Istrait is correct- You can fly over that area from outside, but be careful it’s not an special restriction area on the FAA sectional charts - check here by scrolling the map to your areas:

[/QUOTE

Thats the map I looked at that shows park boundary going out into the lake. No fly restrictions beyond that though

Airmap shows a nfz extending 1600 ft from the shoreline. DJI's web page shows no restrictions for that area. You may get a DJI warning message that you can click through. Note that if you are flying toward a DJI restricted zone without approval, your drone will not fall from the sky but it merely slows to a stop and you cannot fly further in that direction.
So if you took off from a boat and flew no closer than 1600 ft from shore - you are fine. You should be able to get decent pictures but certainly not detail of a hole in a log washed up on the beach. I do not know your state's regulations regarding flying a drone from a boat - most allow it if stopped. Hope that answers your question. :)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60