DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have seem to get figured out how to get the Mav3 to land accurately, within inches, of it's take off point almost every time I use RTH.

Don Testme

Reactions
I have been getting repeated, consistent results in making my M3 land exactly where it took off from. The M3 flies home by using GPS. Because of this, it often ends up returning and flying over it's PRESUMED launch point. As I said, presumed. When it's about 200 ft in the air and stops at this presumed launch point it may be 5-10 ft off it's exact launch position. That's just how inaccurate GPS can be. Then it descends. As it descends it gets disoriented, because it can't find a good match to the imaging it took when it launched in the first place. So, what I have have been doing, is to wait until it hovers, unable to find where it landed. I then make sure RTH is off and ascend about 100ft, and move horizontally another 100ft in any direction. Then I press RTH again. This allows the drone to reacquire the launch point using the imagery it saved. I'm getting 95% re-acquisition of the launch point and thus a landing that is off by less than an inch. These results , of course, occur in normal lighting and wind conditions.

SO, if you see your drone not finding that sweet landing spot, just turn off your RTH, ascend a little bit and fly maybe 100ft away horizontally and press the RTH again. It will have a much better chance at reacquiring, through imagery, the position it took off from.
I launch my drone from a 3ft by 6ft wide plank that overhangs from a balcony. I've done this drone repositioning and re-initiation of the RTH at least 25 times so far. When I make sure that RTH is saved at the 1st GPS lock and the Take Off Lock, All 25 of the re-initiation of RTH landings succeeded without incident.

I hope this helps anyone with landing accuracy issues. I just thought I would share something that seems to work for me.

I think you will find the procedure to activate precision landing is on page 19 of the manual. Note the pure vertical climb to 7m with no horizontal command. I do not know if horizontal drift screws it up. This works for me the the M2P/Z, they land with at least some part of the drone in the original foot print.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, too much mucking about in the OP, and precision landing (as it's suggested is on the M3) should be fine if set right at take off.
Usually, if precision landing is desired in a flight, you just acquire GPS and 'home point recorded', fly straight up X metres / feet (can vary between drones, refer to manual), and it initiates and advises precision landing set (or similar), then you are good to fly off.
It works extremely well on my M1P, I just look for something on the ground that stands out, maybe a small rock nearby etc, that the landing 'picture' can pick up fine.

Reactions: unknownpilotrc
As it descends it gets disoriented, because it can't find a good match to the imaging it took when it launched in the first place.
This suggests that the local area is not suitable for the Precision Landing feature.
If you ascend 7 metres before flying horizontally and the surrounding area is sufficiently distinctive, precision landing should work without all this.

Check this tutorial.

I have been getting repeated, consistent results in making my M3 land exactly where it took off from. The M3 flies home by using GPS. Because of this, it often ends up returning and flying over it's PRESUMED launch point. As I said, presumed. When it's about 200 ft in the air and stops at this presumed launch point it may be 5-10 ft off it's exact launch position. That's just how inaccurate GPS can be. Then it descends. As it descends it gets disoriented, because it can't find a good match to the imaging it took when it launched in the first place. So, what I have have been doing, is to wait until it hovers, unable to find where it landed. I then make sure RTH is off and ascend about 100ft, and move horizontally another 100ft in any direction. Then I press RTH again. This allows the drone to reacquire the launch point using the imagery it saved. I'm getting 95% re-acquisition of the launch point and thus a landing that is off by less than an inch. These results , of course, occur in normal lighting and wind conditions.

SO, if you see your drone not finding that sweet landing spot, just turn off your RTH, ascend a little bit and fly maybe 100ft away horizontally and press the RTH again. It will have a much better chance at reacquiring, through imagery, the position it took off from.
I launch my drone from a 3ft by 6ft wide plank that overhangs from a balcony. I've done this drone repositioning and re-initiation of the RTH at least 25 times so far. When I make sure that RTH is saved at the 1st GPS lock and the Take Off Lock, All 25 of the re-initiation of RTH landings succeeded without incident.

I hope this helps anyone with landing accuracy issues. I just thought I would share something that seems to work for me.
I have the same issue and follow the instructions in the manual. Will try your solution, but one should not have to do that.

All good there ... put what's the point with that exercise 🧐 I mean why not just land it manually ... instead of flying it back & forth manually and again initiate RTH?
Totally agree. Once I can really see the drone above me, if I used the big "H" landing pad for take of, and hover at the begging of there fight long enough for the drone to remember the "H", from about 20 feet up, then the drone will usually return to the landing pad quite well on its own. In any case, once I have it well in view, I can cancel RTH and manually land it.

Totally agree. Once I can really see the drone above me, if I used the big "H" landing pad for take of, and hover at the begging of there fight long enough for the drone to remember the "H", from about 20 feet up, then the drone will usually return to the landing pad quite well on its own. In any case, once I have it well in view, I can cancel RTH and manually land it.
It's 7 meters. 22.9659 feet. Exactly. And no need to hover or have a big "H" - Just a distinctive spot that's not a repeating pattern. Mine lands 100% of the time within an inch or 2 of launch position, on blacktop or cement, as long as there is a Crack, split, or I launch by the edge of grass, a curb or even sidewalk expansion strips. I missed ONE precision landing. Out of 500+ flights and it was entirely user error, I flew off from 4 feet high.

From Mavic 3 User Manual v1.4:

The Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. The Home Point must be recorded upon takeoff and must not be changed during flight.
Otherwise, the aircraft will have no record of the Home Point terrain features.
b. During takeoff, the aircraft must ascend at least 7 m before flying horizontally

That is all.. there is no requirement to hover for 3 seconds, 10 seconds or any other interval.

My return to home was better after the update today. I only flew once, but today it worked like it should for the first time since I’ve owned the drone. And I was not 22.9659 ft. exactly, just in the neighborhood before I took off. And I have always done it according to the manual and today was the first time it landed accurately. Just keeps getting better.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada