DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have the hot spot of death :-(

notoriouskeef

Reactions
I thought something was wrong when i first got it but I was able to correct it in post. Yesterday I did my first 360 pano and it was TERRIBLE, horrendous hot spots over the whole image. I went through all my videos and pictures and sure enough (had to invert colors) it's in all of them. Waiting to hear back from tech support so I can mail it in. Now that I know it's there I can't stand it.

Are you talking the big warm spot that covers the central ~50% of the image (DNG especially)? Or are you talking about individual hot pixels? For the latter, in some DNG editing tools you can often take a photograph with a lenscap on, and then use that image to block out hot pixels.

Are you talking the big warm spot that covers the central ~50% of the image (DNG especially)? Or are you talking about individual hot pixels? For the latter, in some DNG editing tools you can often take a photograph with a lenscap on, and then use that image to block out hot pixels.
warm red/yellow spot in middle, about 20% of the picture/vid

Reactions: Chickenskat
I am attaching some pics. The first is the 360 with inverted colors. The other 2 are screen shots from a video. This is unacceptable. I'm still waiting shipping labels from dji.

Attachments

• 360.jpg
    360.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 16266119_10158672153110131_2035504110268326112_n.jpg
    16266119_10158672153110131_2035504110268326112_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 16388228_10158672145700131_1225540097807188513_n.jpg
    16388228_10158672145700131_1225540097807188513_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 353
The warm spot is due to the design of the camera, period. DJI has explained on their forums that it is caused by the close proximity of the lens elements to the sensor chip, which causes light to strike the sensor at too steep an angle. Some people get a more yellow tint, some a more green or red tint. Some lighting conditions are stronger than others, but everyone gets this. DJI also tries to point out that lots of cell phones have the same problem, and named some specific examples.

It's a cell phone camera. You can't get a DSLR onto a 734 gram drone.

Reactions: FlyPro-UK
The warm spot is due to the design of the camera, period. DJI has explained on their forums that it is caused by the close proximity of the lens elements to the sensor chip, which causes light to strike the sensor at too steep an angle. Some people get a more yellow tint, some a more green or red tint. Some lighting conditions are stronger than others, but everyone gets this. DJI also tries to point out that lots of cell phones have the same problem, and named some specific examples.

It's a cell phone camera. You can't get a DSLR onto a 734 gram drone.

so you have a hotspot? I don't see this hotspot in all the footage i've seen. when I took a picture of my wall inside 3 nights ago it was blatant. I find it hard to believe that this is normal

Yes I have it. Pretty much everyone does. It's one of those flaws that many people may not notice, and some scenes highlight it more than others. Once you see it, you can't UNSEE it. I have noticed a lot of examples where people post photos from the Mavic and say "I don't have the problem," but to me it is very clear they do have a warm spot just like everyone else. That said, you can still get amazing shots.

Reactions: KevinT
well if this is the case. what have you learned is the best way to filter this out in post. I use adobe everything

Reactions: KevinT
I have this issue here under a bright sunny sky, will this ultimately be fixed in firmware I wonder? I'm out of return time for the mavic and it frankly wouldn't be fair if we were stuck with this issue on a photography tool!
4b93629dedaa3d78aec3d1826e22c668.jpg
64029203c2748782f956470da5934533.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app

I am using Capture One 10 to process the Mavic DNGs. Besides being sharper and having less noise that Lightroom, the local adjustments layers allow me to alter the white balance in the warm spot in the center of the frame. I suspect you can do the same thing with the adjustment brush in LR and Camera Raw.

I am using Capture One 10 to process the Mavic DNGs. Besides being sharper and having less noise that Lightroom, the local adjustments layers allow me to alter the white balance in the warm spot in the center of the frame. I suspect you can do the same thing with the adjustment brush in LR and Camera Raw.

thanks, I was guessing I would have to select the area, create new layer, adjust the red color out of that layer and merge it into the original, at least in PS anyway... hopefully I get some time to practice this weekend.

If you are working with the raw DNG file, you do all this in Camera Raw before opening it in Photoshop using the local adjustment brush. Using the Temp and Tint sliders, you can visually match the warm spot to the surrounding area. Here is a link to some Camera Raw tutorials on the Adobe site: Make non-destructive edits in Camera Raw | Adobe Photoshop CC tutorials
The video titled :Edit details with precision" covers the adjustment brushes.

Reactions: VortexSpin
If you are working with the raw DNG file, you do all this in Camera Raw before opening it in Photoshop using the local adjustment brush. Using the Temp and Tint sliders, you can visually match the warm spot to the surrounding area. Here is a link to some Camera Raw tutorials on the Adobe site: Make non-destructive edits in Camera Raw | Adobe Photoshop CC tutorials
The video titled :Edit details with precision" covers the adjustment brushes.
wow, thanks. this will be a lot easier than I thought

If you google Mavic pink spot preset you can find Lightroom presets that people have made available to others. You can apply it automatically to every file on the card as you import them into LR. If you don't do that, make sure make the adjustments before you stitch files together for a pano.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I have this issue here under a bright sunny sky, will this ultimately be fixed in firmware I wonder? I'm out of return time for the mavic and it frankly wouldn't be fair if we were stuck with this issue on a photography tool!
4b93629dedaa3d78aec3d1826e22c668.jpg
64029203c2748782f956470da5934533.jpg

I must be a noob cause this looks like a regular picture. What should i be looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I must be a noob cause this looks like a regular picture. What should i be looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Those probably not the most extreme examples.
8083a04303e5935abcd0f1a310c60a87.jpg
I took this image off of my computer yesterday. This is a raw photo, as you can see there is a warm spot in the middle of the entire picture when shooting in RAW under some lighting conditions. This happens more often than not and once you see it you cannot unsee it. Not for nothing, it's great that there are lightroom presets, but I want to do as little post work as possible with the best result... Call me lazy. But yeah, what everyone here is referring to is the warm yellow or red spot they'll get in their pictures, seems like every mavic has it to some degree, problem is for me it's unacceptable and I have filled out an RMA form with my retailer. Unfortunate, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I am attaching some pics. The first is the 360 with inverted colors. The other 2 are screen shots from a video. This is unacceptable. I'm still waiting shipping labels from dji.
Did you ever get your Mavic back from RMA in the end? I'm curious if it was possible to fix? Mine definitely has this, I had a previous Mavic which I definitely couldnt see it as much on so I wonder if some are worse than others? The lightroom fix is easy enough but its the video I bought the mavic for and it has the same challenge... very annoying

Did you ever get your Mavic back from RMA in the end? I'm curious if it was possible to fix? Mine definitely has this, I had a previous Mavic which I definitely couldnt see it as much on so I wonder if some are worse than others? The lightroom fix is easy enough but its the video I bought the mavic for and it has the same challenge... very annoying

nope. After contacting dji several times and an open ticket no communication or instructions have been sent to me. I can assure you I will never buy a dji product again. Their customer service blows. I will just edit in post and look for something American made to replace it. I'm heading off to a 6 week trip that I need the drone for. Hopefully sometime this year there will be some great USA drones coming out.

Frustrating, I could see the issue clearly in my vids today, this is Mavic number 3 for me, all of them have had different issues, does feel like it wasnt really ready for prime time and they rushed it out... people will say I'm wrong but i think the quality of video from the P3P was significantly better than I've seen from the Mavic, i had some stunning results which feels less likely with this drone. I expect a Mavic 2 will solve a lot of the issues, the challenge of being early adopters I guess!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580