DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have the iPhone 7 Plus. Will the controller fit on it with lifeproof case?

JOHNNYBRAVO

Reactions
I just got the phone and got the lifeproof case. I should be getting my Mavic in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if I will still be able to hook it up to the controller with this case on?

Thanks,

Noob

I just got the phone and got the lifeproof case. I should be getting my Mavic in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if I will still be able to hook it up to the controller with this case on?

Thanks,

Noob
Nope - definitely not possible... however... you can use a torx screwdriver to unscrew one side of the grippy things

check out this thread - DIY mod for using a phone with case attached

Thanks,

Noob

It doesn't fit.

IMG_1936.JPG

This what I did for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Nope - definitely not possible... however... you can use a torx screwdriver to unscrew one side of the grippy things

check out this thread - DIY mod for using a phone with case attached

↑↑↑ What he said. Its a pain in the neck to keep removing your case when you fly, so removing one side of the friction grips is one way to go and your phone will still be secure in the grips.

BTW congrats on your incoming Mav. The iPhone 7 and Mav are are fantastic combination.

↑↑↑ What he said. Its a pain in the neck to keep removing your case when you fly, so removing one side of the friction grips is one way to go and your phone will still be secure in the grips.

BTW congrats on your incoming Mav. The iPhone 7 and Mav are are fantastic combination.

Nice solution, but I for one, like the egonomics of having the phone display above the controller, not below.

Nice solution, but I for one, like the egonomics of having the phone display above the controller, not below.

I think most people would agree with you. I got so used to the Phantom controller being under the display, that when I first saw the Mav controller, I thought to myself, "How are you gonna be able to see the display?" But you get used to it. I think DJI was thinking that people are going to be using the "smart controllers" telemetry readings, thats why they put them on there. But I never use the Mavs controllers telemetry, I always look at my phone, so I wouldnt mind if they simplified the Mavs controller to look just like a PS3, it would be smaller and cheaper to buy or replace, and let us put our phones above the controller as before.

And you'll notice on the P4+ the display is above the controller, as all Phantoms are.

It looks pretty solid and with that long cable, you dont have to fiddle with getting the connector to fit through the grip and hoping it stays in.

It looks pretty solid and with that long cable, you dont have to fiddle with getting the connector to fit through the grip and hoping it stays in.

It feels comfortable. The only concern I have is having the antennas so close to the phone. I can still point them, tilt them, but would the signal be affected by the proximity of the phone? Yet to be tested.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

You might find the arms have enough grip to hold it reasonably securely with no modification other than remove the short lead from the slider thing - which is awkward and pointless anyway.
That is I wouldn't be buying anything until you've tried it.
I have the Galaxy S5 with bumper case on and went through the same thing of taking the rubber grip out - which did work but it isn't gripped very securely - but if you just put the arms flat against the ends without pushing in it's fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3300-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
    IMG_3300-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 34
For the record. My 7 non plus with a normal slim case won't fit. I too hate constantly taking it in and out of the case to fly. I've thought about dremeling out some material carefully but have been just gambling with a no case situation instead!

I have the Spigen Thinfit case, and that fits in the controller with my iPhone 7+. Not many other cases will fit. I hear the leather case by Apple also fits, but don't have that case.

I'll see how it goes when I get the drone. You are naturally holding it the way you're gripping the controller so I'm sure I could rig an elastic band around the bottom or some other idea without damaging the controller. Duct taped fixed everything in the Military for me lol..... I could sense a massive disgust in the forums from people reading that.... I would never duct tape such a quality feeling piece of kit. I was able to handle one from a friend who has one and it DOES feel like quality.

I have to stop looking at "I crashed" videos! They are scarring the crap out of me. Like instead of flying it I'm going to record videos holding it in my hand and running around as I'll be too paranoid to fly lol

For the record. My 7 non plus with a normal slim case won't fit. I too hate constantly taking it in and out of the case to fly. I've thought about dremeling out some material carefully but have been just gambling with a no case situation instead!
Just use a t5 torx screwdriver and take the three screws out of each holder so you can remove the rubber grippy things.
I did that and my iPhone 7 in my otterbox defender fits just fine.
The DJI data cord doesn't work with my phone case, but I got the cord from drone valley and it works great with my 7, and my iPad in a defender case.

Just use a t5 torx screwdriver and take the three screws out of each holder so you can remove the rubber grippy things.
I did that and my iPhone 7 in my otterbox defender fits just fine.
The DJI data cord doesn't work with my phone case, but I got the cord from drone valley and it works great with my 7, and my iPad in a defender case.
Any ideas where to buy spare "rubber grippy things"?
Is there anything holding them in, other than the torx screws??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S