DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I just bought a strobe for my MA2 and want to be clear about the new night rules

Kyle76

Reactions
Can I fly under Part 107 at night without any special waiver? Can I fly under recreational rules at night without any waiver?

Can I fly under Part 107 at night without any special waiver? Can I fly under recreational rules at night without any waiver?
1st question, Yes, you can fly at night without a waiver.
2nd question, I know you don't need a waiver, but something I read, implies recreational pilots need to take a few tests, they may even need to get a part 107 license. I'm not sure about this. I fly recreationally at night, I just put a few anticollsion lights on the drone. I haven't been confronted by police, in over a year. Though they did confront me a couple times a few years ago. Nothing came of it, I didn't even get a letter from the FAA. That is , if the police even took the time to report it to the FAA.

A) You CAN fly under Part 107 without a waiver IF you have taken the most recent Part 107 Recurrencey Training Module after ~4/6/2021

B) to be "Current" as a Recreational Operator you must have taken the TRUST

Also being in NC you'll need to take some time and get current on the NC DOT side of things as well.

A) You CAN fly under Part 107 without a waiver IF you have taken the most recent Part 107 Recurrencey Training Module after ~4/6/2021

Thanks. I had a feeling, I wasn't exactly spot on with my post.

I took these Courses online.See Attached. The Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent is at the bottom. I took TRUST as well. Of course, my name is hidden with new text.

Attachments

• Part 107 Certificates.JPG
    Part 107 Certificates.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: BigAl07
Also being in NC you'll need to take some time and get current on the NC DOT side of things as well.

I passed the NC certification test last year after passing my Part 107. Is there something new since then?

I passed the NC certification test last year after passing my Part 107. Is there something new since then?

No it's good for 24 months IIRC.

Reactions: Kyle76

Is this the same recurrent training that is required every 24 months for Part 107 or something different? Even though my original Part 107 was obtained 12 months ago, do I still need this course to fly at night and does it satisfy the 24-month recurring training course required under Part 107?

Isn't the Initial Part 107 exam only for Part 61 pilots? I'm not a Part 61 pilot, but I did find it helpful towards my preparation for the Part 107 exam :)

Is this the same recurrent training that is required every 24 months for Part 107 or something different? Even though my original Part 107 was obtained 12 months ago, do I still need this course to fly at night and does it satisfy the 24-month recurring training course required under Part 107?
You can still fly as you were until the 24month period of your Part 107 comes due again following all the rules/regs as you were before.

In order to get the benefit of the new changes in the regulations (flying at night w/o a waive etc) you'll have to take the course I linked above. That is now the course everyone will take to remain current for Part 107 until something new goes into effect.

If you take the new Recurrency Training Course (the one I linked above) it resets your 24 month clock on your Part 107.

Last edited:
Isn't the Initial Part 107 exam only for Part 61 pilots? I'm not a Part 61 pilot, but I did find it helpful towards my preparation for the Part 107 exam :)

Don't let the similarities confuse you. Go by the Course # and the written description at the top of the page:

In-Person Part 107 Test - This is what you take if you are don't have Part 61, or if you do and you're not CURRENT. This is the IN-PERSON test at a facility. You only take this ONCE (if you pass) and from passing it you'll take ONLINE Recurrency Training.

ALC-451 - Initial course ONLY for Current Part 61 holders!! (online only and FREE)
ALC-515 - Recurrency ONLY for Current Part 61 Holders (online only and FREE)
ALC-677 - Recurrency for ANYONE who has taken Part 107 previously and passed..... Part 61, nonPart 61 it doesn't matter. (online only and FREE)

• Love
Reactions: projectarjun
Thank you for clarifying that

Reactions: BigAl07
NC tries to tell you , you cannot fly at night. Not up to them.
Recreational drone operators do not have to obtain a license or permit from the Division of Aviation.

Although not required, the Division encourages recreational drone users to take the N.C. Department of Transportation's Unmanned Aircraft System Operator's Knowledge Test to learn the rules and regulations for operating drones in North Carolina. This test is for commercial operators only.

It changed in April, it’s now online and free, in addition to the new training/exam on night flying and operations over people and vehicles.

That’s another difference from the previous exam. Now it includes training; no need to study before taking the recurrency training/exam. All said, 107 recurrency is much easier and more accessible than it was before April 2021. Highly recommended!

As @BigAl07 said above, it’s key to night operations.

I had read some posts on YouTube where people thought it was harder than Part 107 and included a lot of chart questions, METARS, etc. Maybe that was an older version? Most posts here talk about how much easier it is.

EDIT: Completed the review course and passed the exam! Missed one question (involving kinetic energy if you hit someone). Got it right on the next try and good to go for night flying and another two years!

Last edited:
Reactions: projectarjun
NC tries to tell you , you cannot fly at night. Not up to them.........

That's actually a misquote that they were supposed to remove from the study material. Someone misunderstood what the FAA is mandating for Night Flights and somehow it was missed during the reviews of the NC DOT materials. I'm going to request a review of that misinformation "again".

NC tries to tell you , you cannot fly at night. Not up to them.
Recreational drone operators do not have to obtain a license or permit from the Division of Aviation.

Although not required, the Division encourages recreational drone users to take the N.C. Department of Transportation's Unmanned Aircraft System Operator's Knowledge Test to learn the rules and regulations for operating drones in North Carolina. This test is for commercial operators only.
Actually if they want to pass legislation outlawing launching, landing, operating from within their jurisdiction...they can do that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11