DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I just bought an E-bike

Brockrock

Reactions
Since we are all into cool tech, I figured that I would see if others here have entered into what is becoming the E-bike craze. I have always been a very avid bicycle rider for the purposes of recreation and exercise, and when I started hearing about and researching E-bikes, I just could not let it go.

The bike that I purchased is the Aventon Level : Aventon Level Commuter Electric Bike. I did a fair amount of research prior to making this purchase, and it seemed like the one for me. At 6'2", I ordered the LG frame and 'Throttle on Demand' option, which is a new offering on this model as of 03/01/2021. The prior model required a bit of peddle movement to allow for throttle response, and now they offer a model that does not require peddle input at all. In reality, it will probably be only the Peddle Assist (maybe Level 1 or sometimes 2) that I will mainly use, but I can see situations arising where it would be nice to simply apply throttle from a full stop without peddling in order to move forward. This prior limitation was also a huge topic of discussion on E-bike forums (or maybe a complaint), and it seems Aventon listened and responded with this update.

It will be a month or so before I receive the bike and will be able to use and review it, so don't run out and buy one unless you're willing to take a chance like me. I'll follow up though, and let you all know what I think.

I was recently thinking about starting a similar thread, since I'm fairly new to the world of eBikes, too. I purchased a Himiway Cruiser fat tire eBike in December, and have been riding nearly every day. A couple of local forum members also have eBikes, so we're planning some remote flying trips into wilderness and up some rolling hills.

Pedal Assist level 1 (out of 5) on my bike means the motor is assisting my pedaling at 20% of its maximum power. The top speed is 20mph out of the box, but a software mod (well-known settings) cranks it up to approaching 30mph.

Quick thoughts:
  • Some similarities to our drone hobby, in that battery management actually means something.
  • YouTube Dads exist in both hobbies; some knowledgeable, some not-so-much.
  • There are cool accessories on Amazon and eBay for both hobbies. Cable-actuated hydraulic brake calipers were my first upgrade. Like Master Airscrew Stealth props, there are both recommenders and detractors.
  • In some areas, having a drone and an eBike makes us Public Enemy #1. Karen will find us.
  • We're now able to fly from very remote spots we'd never think of before, leaving our cars back at the trailheads and staging areas.
I'm a longtime mountain bike rider, but I'm now riding up inclines I have never done before, I'm riding longer distances, and yes, there's still some exercise involved. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Good decision guys ... if you have something set up in your countries/cities that gives safe space to bicycles (so you don't need to fight your way through car traffic) it's a great solution for transportation.

Bought my e-bike 2018 when the Swedish government subsidized the purchase of e-bikes with 25% ... helped me to take the decision definitely. Have now used it for commuting, leisure & city transports for just over 3700 miles ... & the battery is still going strong. Are on the second set of tires, chain & rear sprocket cassette.

In Sweden e-bikes are quite heavily regulated ... max speed is set to 16mph, only pedal assist is allowed so now throttle. But mostly that speed is enough in the city where a lot of cyclists & pedestrians are sharing the space ... like below.

1614849850283.png

We can buy a 28mph rated e-bike also but then it needs a license plate, can't be used on bicycle lanes, helmet & vehicle insurance is mandatory ... mainly falls under the same regulations as a motorbike.

Bought a tune kit :rolleyes:? for it ... in the size of a match stick box which allows me to rise the speed at will (all the way to 62mph o_O if I can pedal that fast) ... mostly only use it to smooth of the feeling when the motor abruptly stops providing assistance at 16mph ... but now usually ramp up the speed to 18-20mph when on roads like below without pedestrians & other conflicting traffic ...

1614851006257.png

And this is my iron horse ... 75Nm torque & max 1000w output, so can't complain on the acceleration ?

Cube Cross Hybrid SL Allroad 500 black edition
1614851451028.png

A timely post - just ordered a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160. Same restrictions in Australia unfortunately: more speed or electric only requires a licence plate. There are options though for non-road use that can unlock restrictions. Just wish they were a bit lighter

No commuting, wouldn’t feel safe on the roads here! Plenty of tracks nearby and when we hit the road with the caravan again.

That said, I wouldn’t say no to a trail [emoji468] bike.

I had a Specialized Turbo Vado that I commuted 40mi a day on. The commute was 80% gravel bike paths and while I had it, it rained pretty much everyday. With the power assist at the lowest level I had to charge it at work or it wouldn’t make it home. I rinsed off the bike every day and cleaned and oiled the chain every day. In two weeks of commuting it wore out the brake pads, chain, rear cluster and front sprocket. The bike shop took it back to use as a demo bike. It was fun while I had it though.

A timely post - just ordered a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160. Same restrictions in Australia unfortunately: more speed or electric only requires a licence plate. There are options though for non-road use that can unlock restrictions. Just wish they were a bit lighter

These are pretty light

Good discussion folks. @pelagic_one, I did look at the Himiway Cruiser as well. It's a solid choice. I guess for me, my interest in getting an E-bike is twofold. I'm in my mid-fifties now, and I live in a fairly hilly area. I do have a traditional hybrid style bike for general road riding, but I find that I don't ride it in my local area that much because of the constant hills. This means that I end up putting it on the car rack and heading down to the coast in order to get a good 30+ mile ride, and this just adds time to doing so, and as such, I find I ride less. Like I mentioned, for me, riding it is a great form of non-boring and efficient exercise, so if this E-bike allows me to dampen down the hills a bit, I will end up riding a lot more often.

Current mountain bike (pictured below on a bikepacking trip this February) lacks the “E”. Managed to put 2,000 off pavement miles on her in 70 days between mid December 2020 and late February 2021. Maximum power 1,200 watts with an average of about 105. While the “E” would be nice for those long headwind days, I have to carry her through washes, lift her over fences and pour offs on most overnight trips and I‘m barely strong enough to do that as she is. An extra battery and motor would polish me off!

Before a lift:
15204879-BC4E-4F33-97BB-E6F71A147B7D.jpeg

After lifting her over a pour off. Then I realized I was too tired to climb up myself...:
0E76B845-3F14-4597-A13F-1855B41E6419.jpeg

Howard

Reactions: newdamage1
I fitted a front wheel kit from Cyclotricity in the uk, best thing I have ever done as now 68 and fully retired so enjoying the easier cycling the pedal assist gives me, limited to 250w and 15mph here in the uk but at least I can fit my new mini2 drone in the rear bag when out and about.???

I think e-bikes are fantastic because unlike most forms of exercise they allow you to skip to the fun bit of cycling while improving fitness and the power can be dialled down as fitness improves with the knowledge it's there to help if needed. They also allow a more comfortable ride without harming the speed since the motor will make up for it so whereas a road bike has smaller tyres, a more aero position, rigid frame etc, you can have an e-bike with bigger, grippier tyres, a comfortable seating position, a bit of suspension etc.

My Mum wouldn't go on any cycles with me because she was concerned she'd be too slow even though I'm a qualified cycle leader and take beginner cyclists out on the road, she hired an e-bike and loved so bought one for herself. She's happy to come out cycles with me now and there's a great choice of routes since many of them involve a good bit of climbing which she has no issue with. She's very amused at the fact I usually set personal bests on the hill climbs just trying to keep up with her.

With Covid restrictions I've been mostly working on indoor cycling but the weather is looking better and my Mum is keen to get back out on her bike too.

i-N7Mvrqd-X3.jpg

I found this back in 2018 when I was debating or defending my choice of buying a E-bike ...

Exercise and health
Research shows that going the same speed over the same distance, an eBiker will use 70% to 85% of the energy of someone on a traditional bike. However, research also shows that they don’t go the same speed or the same distance.

Typically a rider on an ebike will go 50% faster than on a traditional bike, they will also cycle for one and a half times longer. By going faster and cycling for longer, eBike riders go further and end up getting more exercise.

Also riding an eBike is a lower intensity exercise, which according to physios is better for muscles and joints. This means recovery is easier and injury less common, ensuring you get back on the eBike more often.

One of the reasons that I got out of biking several years ago, was because I found that the traditional bike seat caused me numbness of a sort that I was not comfortable with, and this resulted in my experimenting with several alternative seats. In the end, I settled on the Spiderflex bike seat - Ergonomic Bike Seats | Spiderflex.com - and it has made all the difference. It does take some getting used to however, since it does not have the traditional 'horn', and at first, it feels like you have less control of the bike without it. Eventually, you learn to compensate for this by subtle shifts with your entire body weight - versus using your thighs against the seat horn - and I feel now like I have more control. The best part is, there is absolutely no contact with the male anatomy, and for me, this makes for greatly more comfortable riding.

In the end, I settled on the Spiderflex bike seat - Ergonomic Bike Seats | Spiderflex.com - and it has made all the difference.
With that seat, you’re really going to love that Aventon, and will probably ride longer because of it. I went with the Cloud 9 seat with the springs. Makes me look like a grandpa, but I don’t get numb riding as far as I want into the wilderness.

And bringing it back to the forum, my MA2, SC and four batteries fit in the rear pannier bag. So I don’t have to fly from the parking lot anymore. I just head down a dirt path and fly from wherever, with no one around now.

Reactions: Howard70
After residing in colorado for 7 long years, I detest bikes on the road!

And heck, I rode one from California to Delaware ocean to ocean one time ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth