DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I live in a NFZ, but can i ...

You should be able to get the answer by using the FAA DroneZone site. They recently gave me a 2 year clearance for my primary flying site which does include parts of 2 NFZs. It takes a few days.

You may be able to get clearance via AirMap or Kittyhawk.

Application through dronezone only works for part 107 pilots. Hobbyists have to go through LAANC if flying in controlled airspace.

DJI restrictions and clearance are separate from LAANC. One is unaware of the other. Eventually you will be able to get LAANC clearance right from the Go app.

Reactions: brett8883
Are you referring to applying for clearance to be legal, or unlocking the drone because it's preventing you from flying?
I assume you don't have a part 107 license so you're flying strictly as a hobbyist.

With the former, use LAANC in Airmap or Kittyhawk to get approval to fly in controlled airspace. Hobbyists cannot get waivers. They also cannot get approved to fly higher than what the grid shows in the FAA facilities map, which also appears in the two apps I mentioned.

With the latter, that depends on the color of the zone your in on the Go map.
Unless you're very near an airport, prison, etc, or under a runway approach path which shows in red or blue, you'll just be prompted to agree to responsibility with 3 check boxes and OK button.
If you are in red zone, you won't be able to fly there at all. If the map is wrong about that, you can appeal to flysafe.dji.com.
If blue, it will show NFZ on remote and app will show you can't fly. Attempt to launch anyway. You'll then be prompted to "authenticate" yourself (really prove you're a human adult) by providing a cell number to receive a texted code, or a credit card. You will need internet here. Once you've authenticated, you'll need to accept responsibility with check boxes.
Grey zones are similar to blue, but with height limitation.

Note of caution: you may be prevented from crossing zone boundaries, especially flying into restricted areas from outside them.

As for the Go app becoming LAANC capable, DJI had the app put up a popup notice a few weeks ago about the eventual update. It also had a popup about the then impending update no longer including the simulator, and to not update the app if you don't want to lose the simulator.

Note of caution: you may be prevented from crossing zone boundaries, especially flying into restricted areas from outside them.
This has happened to me. I was flying close to a prison facility (I didn't know about) and was notified I was entering a restricted zone. I turned back rather than making a stupid move attempting to fly into it.

Reactions: DanMan32
The area I live [zip 07936] is a blue area with numbers like 200 and 400. I guess I can fly there. I'll have to just try. No airport or prison. Just some large company with a ton of land. Am I better just getting the other license just to be on the safe side?

Mine won't take off in a red or local government (near restricted buildings like the power plant) NFZ

The area I live [zip 07936] is a blue area with numbers like 200 and 400. I guess I can fly there. I'll have to just try. No airport or prison. Just some large company with a ton of land. Am I better just getting the other license just to be on the safe side?

Those numbers mean you are in controlled airspace and need to seek authorization via LAANC (Airmap or Kittyhawk) for each flight there. Those are just the maximum altitudes you can be approved for there.

Reactions: Thomas B
What about places where the request LAANC button isn’t available? I’m visiting family in Reston VA, which is 22 miles from DC. The LAANC grid on the map in that area is grey, so I can’t apply for authorization through Kittyhawk.

The FAA website says recreational flying is permitted in that area, though - should I just go for it, and stay below the ceiling limit? I know the DC area has extra restrictions, soo just want to be especially cautious.

I know red means the controlled airspace is not LAANC ready. Hobbyists have no means of getting clearance so can't fly here. 107 pilots need to get clearance through DroneZone. Green means you can (must for hobbyists) get clearance through LAANC. Not sure what grey means.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo