DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my Mavic mini

Haytham Helal

Reactions
Hi All,
Yesterday I was flying my new mavic mini with wrong estimation for wind and once I started to fly, the wind pushed the drone away, I lost control of the drone and accidentally my mobile restarted so I lost sight of the drone physically and at my mobile.
Since this moment, I don't know where is my drone and when I checked "Find my drone" I found it away from me by 134m at altitude 21m which is the moment I lost connection.
Since yesterday, I am searching in the area surrounded by last seen location with average consideration of 12 second of automatic landing, direction of wind and speed of the drone.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.
I am new to the drone world so I am not sure if I mad something wrong to loss it, however definitely wrong estimation for the wind strength was primary for this accident.

1. Could you please help me to know if there is any way to identify the location of drone while it's powered off? Here is the short fly log and its analysis at Airdata:
  2. Can "DJI support" help in finding my drone or it's my responsibility? I don't even registered in DJI care, another mistake I guess... I can't reach to support team now as it's weekend and they are available only during working week days :(

All you advises and opinion will be appreciated but please let's avoid criticizing flying in high wind as I know its a primary mistake.
Thanks in advance.

I can't help you but can commiserate. I had a downed craft a while ago, fairly near me, and it was hard to find. My guess is it's all your legwork. I sure HOPE DJI doesn't have independent tracking on these things. Could it have landed on that roof? It's very close to your end mark and you were, after all, being blown around by the wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Could you not hear your drone beeping either?

I couldn't view the link you sent...

What was your RTH altitude set to? Could it have ascended into a tree?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Could you not hear your drone beeping either?

I couldn't view the link you sent...

What was your RTH altitude set to? Could it have ascended into a tree?
After, I restarted my mobile I went to the direction drone flow to and tried to connect but was unable to connect or trigger beep alert from my profile at the app.
Attaching the row file.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-05_[21-55-27].txt
    365.7 KB · Views: 37
I looked at the Google Street view of that area. The place is covered in balconies, too. The overhead shot in your Log doesn't really convey how much is going on where your Mini disappeared. Maybe post a sign in the two Apt buildings I can see and someone might find it on their balcony.

Reactions: Flytelandon
You had the failsafe action set to the default of "Go Home", which means it is not going to have landed when you lost connection - it will have ascended to the set RTH height of 43 m and then tried to fight the wind. It was losing that battle by 2 - 3 m/s at a height of 20 m, and so it's only going to have got worse as it climbed. The battery was at 91% when you lost connection, and that means that it had around 1000 seconds of flight time before the smart battery autolanding function will have activated at 6% for 43 m height. Drifting at even the 2 - 3 m/s rate puts it several km away at least. If the wind speed increased with height as expected then it could easily be 5 km.

Battery.png

Looking at course and speed shows the following:

Course.png

It was heading off at around 93°, so on the map that's the green line, with range rings shown at 2 km and 5 km. I'm afraid that your chances of finding it are rather low.

grab103.jpg

You had the failsafe action set to the default of "Go Home", which means it is not going to have landed when you lost connection - it will have ascended to the set RTH height of 43 m and then tried to fight the wind. It was losing that battle by 2 - 3 m/s at a height of 20 m, and so it's only going to have got worse as it climbed. The battery was at 91% when you lost connection, and that means that it had around 1000 seconds of flight time before the smart battery autolanding function will have activated at 6% for 43 m height. Drifting at even the 2 - 3 m/s rate puts it several km away at least. If the wind speed increased with height as expected then it could easily be 5 km.

View attachment 103934

Looking at course and speed shows the following:

View attachment 103936

It was heading off at around 93°, so on the map that's the green line, with range rings shown at 2 km and 5 km. I'm afraid that your chances of finding it are rather low.

View attachment 103935
I've only had my drone for two weeks. One day I will learn to interpret logs like this. Really interesting, thank you, but not good news for the OP.

Does anyone have or know of a relief map of the area to see if there is any high ground above 43m in the line of drift? I can't find any but .......
Or is there any chance it could have drifted into those flats before it started the climb to RTH height, there's a delay between loss of signal and the start of the rth process isn't there?

Does anyone have or know of a relief map of the area to see if there is any high ground above 43m in the line of drift? I can't find any but .......
Or is there any chance it could have drifted into those flats before it started the climb to RTH height, there's a delay between loss of signal and the start of the rth process isn't there?

It's the Netherlands, so I didn't think to check that very carefully. Yes - by Dutch standards there's a mountain 3.75 km inland on that heading.

1591472674547.png

It's possible it never got past the first building - it was just starting to climb.

1591472793065.png

And the next building along was definitely in the way at RTH height:

grab105.jpg

I was sort of hoping it would run into either a local flat or a hill so that could be good, it looks like there's some heavily built up areas inland which are just about within your 5km and not so good

I've never tried a "fox hunt" with the RC.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_210942.jpg
    IMG_20200606_210942.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20200606_211025.jpg
    IMG_20200606_211025.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 80
This is one more example of why sub 250g aircraft pilots should have to meet >250g regulations for pilot certification in their respective countries. This person is not just a "bad apple," They think what they are doing is all right and its not.

As a generality buildings are 3m per floor. At some point this aircraft and its eight spinning razor blades may have smashed into someone's apartment and fell to the ground onto whoever might have been there.

Sorry; about your mishap with your MM. Just to make you feel better, your not the only one that this has happened to. When I started flying 3 years ago, same thing happened to me. Fortunately, I found my MP, by having a tracking device on it. Some of those devices are good for two miles, don't know if the MM could hold one, being that small. I did take a course to learn about drones, and that saved me from losing it. Learned a lot, not promoting any school in perticuller, but most people that have no prior experience with drones. Its good to find out just the basics, about flying.

In case I missed your first post, welcome to the forum from the woods of Maine, but sorry for your loss!
Sar104, great job of reading the logs!
It’s nice to know we have help in situations like this even though the outcome isn’t what we would have liked!
Thanks!

This is one more example of why sub 250g aircraft pilots should have to meet >250g regulations for pilot certification in their respective countries. This person is not just a "bad apple," They think what they are doing is all right and its not.

As a generality buildings are 3m per floor. At some point this aircraft and its eight spinning razor blades may have smashed into someone's apartment and fell to the ground onto whoever might have been there.
That happens to the best so your comment is blah blah blah

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3