DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I love B&H with Payboo card sales tax savings!

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
If you live in a high sales tax state as I do (10.25%!) sales tax can become a burden, especially because you've already paid tax on the sales tax through federal and state taxes so the real effective rate can be significantly higher when calculated from your actual earnings. It all adds up.

I'm not sure how they do it, but B&H Photo/Video has their own credit card, the "Payboo" card, which when used for purchases absorbs the sales tax. While the tax savings on my last purchase of a Mini 3 and flymore plus kit was *only* $118, that extra savings will almost cover 2 years of care/refresh or other stuff. I've bought enough stuff from B&H this past year or so that the tax savings has been much greater. The other thing is that B&H is a pretty big store and still all the customer service/sales experience I've had with them has been quite good, another bonus other than tax savings. Were I to have purchased a M3 Cine kit for $5000 I would have saved over $500 or $300 for a less expensive package. Not insignificant.

FWIW, their Payboo card used to be with Synchrony Bank, but that relationship dissolved earlier this year (I think), but Comenity bank now services the Payboo card. So while the bank and my account changed, the "Payboo" name still exists and functions the same way. The key, IMO is to pay off the card IMMEDIATELY after purchase so you don't fall into the 29% interest trap. My card was charged 3 days ago and I've already paid it, not waiting for a statement or EOM balance.

So, for those who buy a lot of camera or drone stuff, if you don't know about the B&H Payboo card and get dinged exorbitant sales tax rates, this might be something to look into. Just sayin'.

I'd love them if they'd ship batteries to me.

Washington State doesn't have an income tax so they make up for it with a hefty sales tax (not as high as 10.25%) so I typically either drive across the Columbia to Oregon (no sales tax) or use B&H with Payboo. That's where my Mavic 3 came from and I paid it off immediately.

Washington State doesn't have an income tax so they make up for it with a hefty sales tax (not as high as 10.25%) so I typically either drive across the Columbia to Oregon (no sales tax) or use B&H with Payboo. That's where my Mavic 3 came from and I paid it off immediately.
Me too. Nice to meet another pilot from Vancouver!

Reactions: AlanL
I've tried 3 times over the course of a month to sigh up and each time I get a mesae saying the sites doing maintenance, this during regular business hours no late at night.

Why won't they ship batteries to Nome?
I'm in North Pole but same difference. Some time ago the rules were tightened regarding shipping Iithium batteries by air. It has to come by ground and it has to have special packaging. DJI will ship them but my recent FlyMore Plus kit was returned by UPS for improper packaging and now my order is on backorder after a May 13 order. Aug 3 is the expected date. Sigh.

I've tried 3 times over the course of a month to sigh up and each time I get a mesae saying the sites doing maintenance, this during regular business hours no late at night.
CALL THEM! They will help you get it set up. I had difficulty too because I didn't understand what would happen when Synchony Bank exited and the sign up process was more confusing this time around.

Aren't you lucky (like us here) 🤬. Yep... Pay off immediately. I was billed three days ago and the bank has already been paid off and I haven't even received the merchandise yet.

In addition to that tax we have a 5% state income tax, 2% property tax and all sorts of fees added into those things. As you may know, deductions for ALL SALT taxes combined are now capped at $10k PER COUPLE (or $10k for single).

My personal opinion is that sales tax is the most regressive tax of all because not only is the rate disingenous because you're getting charged tax on pre-taxed dollars, but also because it hits the poor the hardest having no bearing on how much income one earns. I don't now how to do the calculation exactly, but a 10.25% sales tax has got to translate to at least 13% and more in some cases if you base the rate on gross earnings.

IMO the only fair taxation is based on income. So I'm happy to get some sales tax relief where I can. Thank you B&H.

Yes…pay it off immediately. Recently purchased the IPad Mini 6 from them to save the tax and get an instant savings rebate. A $100 savings over purchasing from Best Buy. Kept checking before going on vacation but their site was down for a redesign. Come back from vacation and they dinged me for a bit of interest. The site was partially back up and I was able to pay off immediately. Watched it a few days to make sure payment posted. Once payment posted ordered the Mini 3 Pro FMC. Ready to pay that off. So many hoops to jump through.

I got an iPad mini 6 from them too in November.

Here is a little tip to make sure you don’t get dinged because of technical issues…. Once you set up your account go to YOUR bank’s website and create a new payee for B&H’s bank before you purchase anything. Once done, make a token payment for that payee THROUGH YOUR BANK. I sent them 25cents. A few days later I logged into the Comenity (new Payboo) website to confirm that the payment posted. Having done that I know that I don’t have to rely on their website being up to make timely payments. This last payment took less than 2 minutes to log in and complete and I don’t have to worry about logging into Comenity to make that payment.

Another reason I make an immediate payment is because it is not part of my monthly bill pay routine and I don’t want to have to remember that there is an outstanding payment on a credit card that is rarely used.

If you live in a high sales tax state as I do (10.25%!) sales tax can become a burden, especially because you've already paid tax on the sales tax through federal and state taxes so the real effective rate can be significantly higher when calculated from your actual earnings. It all adds up.

I'm not sure how they do it, but B&H Photo/Video has their own credit card, the "Payboo" card, which when used for purchases absorbs the sales tax. While the tax savings on my last purchase of a Mini 3 and flymore plus kit was *only* $118, that extra savings will almost cover 2 years of care/refresh or other stuff. I've bought enough stuff from B&H this past year or so that the tax savings has been much greater. The other thing is that B&H is a pretty big store and still all the customer service/sales experience I've had with them has been quite good, another bonus other than tax savings. Were I to have purchased a M3 Cine kit for $5000 I would have saved over $500 or $300 for a less expensive package. Not insignificant.

FWIW, their Payboo card used to be with Synchrony Bank, but that relationship dissolved earlier this year (I think), but Comenity bank now services the Payboo card. So while the bank and my account changed, the "Payboo" name still exists and functions the same way. The key, IMO is to pay off the card IMMEDIATELY after purchase so you don't fall into the 29% interest trap. My card was charged 3 days ago and I've already paid it, not waiting for a statement or EOM balance.

So, for those who buy a lot of camera or drone stuff, if you don't know about the B&H Payboo card and get dinged exorbitant sales tax rates, this might be something to look into. Just sayin'.
Just got my Payboo card and I am itching, but have the Air2S, like;y will get a new lens for my Nikon Z6ii. Good luck!

If it was just saving my 8.25% tax and free shipping it would be one thing. But their prices are usually the lowest I can find.

Just got my Payboo card and I am itching, but have the Air2S, like;y will get a new lens for my Nikon Z6ii. Good luck!
If you aren't weight restricted and you're not going for ultralite, IMO the Air2s is the better drone for most things, especially still photographs but stability in wind, for sure. I think the only real weak link of the Air2s is the fixed aperture (and the RC-N1 controller). At this moment I think the Mavic 2 Pro, now a "legacy drone" is the one to have even with fewer features than the Air2s or the Mavic 3. With variable aperture and a (more) deluxe standard controller than any other new DJI model on the market it is tough to beat. Truth be told, all of these drones will visually outperform most viewing and printing platforms available. A file/image is only as good as what you're going to view it (or print it) on.

I'm anxious to get my hands on the Mini 3 with RC Pro controller (coming today if all goes well) and see how it handles compared to the Mini 2 with the RC-N1 vs my Mavic 2 Pro. Had handling (and questionable support quality) not been an issue I would have opted for an Autel Nano plus. The RYYB sensor will deliver superior images to the DJI products, but it seems that everything else doesn't keep up. But who knows... by the time it's time to replace my Mavic 2 Autel might have their act together. Image-wise (and for sure price-wise) I'd rather have an Evo Lite Plus than a Mavic 3.

Sorry for the digression.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb