DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I managed to corrupt a video on my first flight

jbyork

Reactions
Hi all

I've had my drone for about a week now but we've not had the weather to fly it until yesterday. I thought I'd share a quick warning tale about something stupid I did.

I hadn't realised that the Mavic Mini can't take photos while it's recording video and I think at one point I thought it was recording video when it wasn't. So, I flew again and this time made sure I had the video mode on and was recording. I flew for about 5 minutes, landed the drone and switched the controller off...before I stopped the recording.

When I got home my video recording wouldn't play at all. I don't think the drone had written the index to the video properly, and after about an hour of trying to recover the video I gave up. I could salvage frames but no complete video.

So... the moral of the story is stop the recording before you turn the controller off.

Perhaps this is a facility DJI could add to their next software update? I can't be the only one who's done this.

Anyway, lesson learned.

Reactions: Drone-007
When I got home my video recording wouldn't play at all. I don't think the drone had written the index to the video properly, and after about an hour of trying to recover the video I gave up. I could salvage frames but no complete video.
The video file wasn't corrupted,.
It just wasn't closed properly.
Try putting the card back in the drone, powering it up and powering down again and see if that fixes it.

If it's really mission critical, use restore.media service. Pays to do a short 5sec recording for take off first if you need to ever recover files. The service works.

Put the card back in the Mini and record a several second clip. Turn off recording while the drone is still on. This will finalize the previous video and everything should work. This happened to me several weeks ago and everything came out fine.

Reactions: Mrmund and hans99
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa