DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need a bright screen

Whois

Reactions
I am planning on buying a Mavic 2 pro and need a large-ish screen that's (a lot) brighter than my Ipad Air 2 as I often fly in very bright surroundings. What way should I go? Crystalsky seems a bit buggy so I am hesitant. Also considering Samsung Note 9. Any other ideas? Would prefer to use Litchi and not the DJI GO 4.

The CrystalSky is one of the brightest devices available, I use it on all my drones. There are some issues with it however, I do a lot of mapping and I haven't found a good compatible mapping app for the CrystalSky so I'm forced to go back to my iPad Air 2 for those. Other than that I have no complaints with the CrystalSky even using Litchi.

I fly with a Note 8 and believe me I’ve gone through and tested numerous screens over the years. I absolutely hate having to use any peripherals as I like to travel light and I used to despise having to strap on a sunshade. Since the Note, I’ve never had to use a shade in even the brightest conditions - it’s a revelation. Just stick that thing on adaptive brightness and you’re good to go. I can only imagine the 9 would be even better. The other thing to note is that it eats Go for breakfast and I haven’t had one single glitch ever.

I've given up on trying to use my iPad Mini. The screen really, really sucks in bright sunlight and the iPads seem prone to big bugs whenever a new "update" comes down from Apple. I've switched to using my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 which has an incredible OLED screen that is just a tad smaller than the iPad. The only drawback is the battery which can drain pretty rapidly when the screen brightness is all the way up. I'd love to switch to the crystalsky eventually. As we all know, they are very expensive. I would think DJI could make them cheaper and cause us a lot less heartache.

What we really need is a reflective color screen, but no such display exists. Consider the fact that old fashioned paper looks better the brighter out it gets. Eink electrophoretic display technology is one such display used for ereaders, but it doesn't exist in color or video. OLED is an emissive (nonreflective) display so it has to compete with the sun and they consume about 40% more power than LCDs when showing white or blue. LCD screens are marginally better since they have some amount of reflective performance. Reflective color LCDs used to exist, but they never were good enough and manufacturers pulled out of the market. Therefore, lacking the preferred paperlike reflective display, our only option today is to overpower the backlight on a monitor like the CrystalSky, which was designed for just this purpose. Since this is not a big market they can charge a premium for this level of performance.

I am planning on buying a Mavic 2 pro and need a large-ish screen that's (a lot) brighter than my Ipad Air 2 as I often fly in very bright surroundings. What way should I go? Crystalsky seems a bit buggy so I am hesitant. Also considering Samsung Note 9. Any other ideas? Would prefer to use Litchi and not the DJI GO 4.

I have a crystalsky 5.5 for sale with a sunscreen and polar pro mount. Only used about 6 times, excellent visibility and never a problem of any kind. I upgraded to the 7.85 screen size. I will sell for $450 and ship within the lower 48

It's not a screen by definition as you seek but have you tried the DJI goggles? I'm sure they aren't for everyone but to me, they take drone flying to a whole new experience. I've bought two pair for the family, and thinking of getting a third for our latest Mavic.

The HUD, along with the head control of the gimbal are what sold me. Some say its heavy, but once i'm in the air, I forget I have it on, and just get lost in the experience of cruising around. There's no wash out or glare on the screen. The best factor is not having to look outside the goggles, since all battery levels, altitude, artificial horizon, heading indicator, etc are conveniently located around the screen; which by the way is the equivalent, i think, to a 50 in LCD.

I fly with an iPad too, along with a sunscreen hood attached to it. No problem seeing the screen, even on very bright days.

Reactions: Turn11
It's not a screen by definition as you seek but have you tried the DJI goggles? I'm sure they aren't for everyone but to me, they take drone flying to a whole new experience. I've bought two pair for the family, and thinking of getting a third for our latest Mavic.

The HUD, along with the head control of the gimbal are what sold me. Some say its heavy, but once i'm in the air, I forget I have it on, and just get lost in the experience of cruising around. There's no wash out or glare on the screen. The best factor is not having to look outside the goggles, since all battery levels, altitude, artificial horizon, heading indicator, etc are conveniently located around the screen; which by the way is the equivalent, i think,

The HUD, along with the head control of the gimbal are what sold me. Some say its heavy, but once i'm in the air, I forget I have it on, and just get lost in the experience of cruising around. There's no wash out or glare on the screen. The best factor is not having to look outside the goggles, since all battery levels, altitude, artificial horizon, heading indicator, etc are conveniently located around the screen; which by the way is the equivalent, i think, to a 50 in LCD.
And they are part of DJI Store Black Friday Sale. Nice $ reduction.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, and was reading about its super bright mode (1300 nits) which is 300 nits brighter than the Crystal Sky (unless you go for the 2000 nits model). You need to specially activate this mode and it is sensor-driven so needs very strong sunlight to see it properly in action. And because the screen is an OLED display and not a true backlit, it's not blindingly bright, but (especially with any screen protectors removed), it works really well with the DJI Go 4 app in strong sunlight.
I was thinking of spending the big bucks on the Crystal Sky, but they are big, bulky, heavy and extra kit, so finding how well the Sammy works, and the fact that I already own one, I am well and truly satisfied. A Note 9 screen, assuming the same brightness level in a larger display, could only be better I would think.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka