DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need constructive feedback. But, let's make it fun! - please roast my video. Be cruel.

Very nice collection of clips. Some of the color clips with sky could have been a little more saturated for my taste. Now to find places in videos to use these clips to tell a story. The hard part.

Very nice collection of clips. Some of the color clips with sky could have been a little more saturated for my taste. Now to find places in videos to use these clips to tell a story. The hard part.
Definitely right about the saturation in some of the clips - I'll try to dial it in next time.

Ahhh yes, "the story" - the most difficult, but also the most exciting!

Thank you for your comment : )

Definitely right about the saturation in some of the clips - I'll try to dial it in next time.

Ahhh yes, "the story" - the most difficult, but also the most exciting!

Thank you for your comment : )
You are more than welcome. I've hit a real brick wall that I hope I can hurdle at some point. I have a ton of drone footage as well as footage with a cinema camera and I have a few very vague ideas of what I would like to make with them but the vision just isn't there. I can't imagine a sequence I want to see. Everything is just fragmented with no flow. I'll keep filming and hoping to develop a vision.

Reactions: dozzn
That was actually very very nice. Yer mum. badoom doom tish!! :oops:

Last edited:
You are more than welcome. I've hit a real brick wall that I hope I can hurdle at some point. I have a ton of drone footage as well as footage with a cinema camera and I have a few very vague ideas of what I would like to make with them but the vision just isn't there. I can't imagine a sequence I want to see. Everything is just fragmented with no flow. I'll keep filming and hoping to develop a vision.
SmilingOgre. I have a workflow idea for you to get your movie going. Forget every video and still photo you’ve ever taken and write an interesting story. Once you are happy with it, then go back and re-visit all the stuff you’ve shot over the years and pick out things that fit your new story. If there isn’t enough past visual to piece it all together, maybe go shoot some more until the text has everything it needs. Voila, a cool film, signed by you.

I tried shooting video first then putting a story to it, but it seemed forced and a little turgid. Threw that story away. So now I write first and shoot later. The problem with this plan for me is that it’s more fun to fly the drone than to sit and write (smile).

So much goodness going on with these clips , however you could make a lot better use of the order of the video clips.

Maybe start with darker clips from the fog into the ocean , and pull us in close through out the Video as we get closer to land. So many Powerful transitions could have been made rather than the black space which did not feed the video thru.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Papa Beach
I wish you luck, brother < 3 Hope I get to see when your finished

Reactions: SmilingOgre
SmilingOgre. I have a workflow idea for you to get your movie going. Forget every video and still photo you’ve ever taken and write an interesting story. Once you are happy with it, then go back and re-visit all the stuff you’ve shot over the years and pick out things that fit your new story. If there isn’t enough past visual to piece it all together, maybe go shoot some more until the text has everything it needs. Voila, a cool film, signed by you.

I tried shooting video first then putting a story to it, but it seemed forced and a little turgid. Threw that story away. So now I write first and shoot later. The problem with this plan for me is that it’s more fun to fly the drone than to sit and write (smile).

I will try this. I'm getting good at the mechanics of getting good shots and this just might be the ticket to making an actual video out of it.

So much goodness going on with these clips , however you could make a lot better use of the order of the video clips.

Maybe start with darker clips from the fog into the ocean , and pull us in close through out the Video as we get closer to land. So many Powerful transitions could have been made rather than the black space which did not feed the video thru.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Ah that's a good idea. I really want to get transitions nailed in the future

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

I'm definitely a fan of the "write first, film later" method.

As someone who flies over the ocean 9/10 flights, I thought you had some really nice footage there. Just break it up into separate videos of the one flight. Dump the transitions, or change them at the very least to something smoother to link scenes within the same video. Soundtrack was perfect. 👍🏻 Try to keep videos to 2.5-3 minutes max. Despite what we think, YouTube analytics proves most viewers don’t last much longer than 2 minutes. Unless you’re Niklas Christl or similar 😂

Reactions: Grandpa and Cvmeron

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I agree with this comment. beautiful moody opening, but no transition to the next, more normal daylight scene.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Sorry - I can't be cruel. Good stuff.
RE: Color grading - that's the last thing you do once the whole story is laid out on the timeline. Just the way all of the elements interplay, color often matches the music. Bright, somber, etc.
Perhaps you've got a good start on a story; 'How goods & services move from the city to the island to rural communities - rail, road and water'. Video cut to a voice-over. Discuss cost with rising fuel prices, etc. Give it a human spin.
Talk to your local Public Broadcasting station and show them this video and ask for suggestions - they may have more ideas and perhaps want to be involved.

This is a very nice collection of clips. Each one stands on its own, it seems, without any storytelling. I will admit the clips are very well done, although some are a bit too short to absorb with the rapid cuts on many. You are privileged to live in a gorgeous place, and the scenery was spectacular. The music selection was quite appropriate to the mood of the clips. But in the end, igt was merely a collection of sort of unrelated clips. Finally, I was disappointed in mot being able to see it in better that 1080p.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: maggior and Cvmeron
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut