DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Phone Update : IOS 14 is a Game Changer for the flying the Drone.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
For the longest time I have hated using the Phone as the controller because It was so annoying and a wast of my Phone.

This is why I wanted the Smart Controller so I could have my phone back and because it Awesome in Extreme Weather Conditions. Rain /Snow / Cold / Heat

But this new IOS 14 is what I expected all along from apple> MULTI TASKING: Done right.

Check this out: Text
IMG_9242.PNG
Love how siri works now , i don have to leave the screens.

Weather : Wind:

IMG_9241.PNG

IMG_9245.PNG

IMG_9246.PNG

Just a few of the new Changes that are going to make using the Iphone a nicer Experience
it even goes to Speaker Phone automatically

These New Pop up are really nice : I wont hate using the Iphone so much anymore.
I can trade stocks and fly at the same time. :p just kidding.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water

You can even watch a video Picture in Picture now in iOS14.

I wonder if I can watch my last Drone flight while I am flying my new one. To compare to that would be awesome.
Im so excited about this new Update as I really hated my new Iphone. This is like a breath of fresh air .

The only change I do not like is that I cannot get SIRI to play a video on YouTube while im driving as I like the Music on YouTube. I have to do it manually now.

Reactions: monteolsen1
Texting while flying? I'm not a nanny - you guys go for it - but it's too much for me. Anyway, I have a dedicated tablet for flying 'cause old eyes.

I'm as techy as the next person, but there are times when I just want to do a single thing and focus on it without the the world's social network and media intruding.

Personally I don’t think it’s a waste of the phone at all. Considering I can use one device to fly the drone, use the gps/map to explore, take pics listen to tunes/podcasts on the drive home and then txt my GF that I’m safe, I reckon it’s great. I used to have to carry a phone, camera, iPod and dedicated gps to do those tasks.
I also turn all notifications off when I fly so can focus on the important thing at hand.....flying the drone.
I understand that some people like multitasking and more power to you but with my puny brain I find it distracting.

SO the problem with AIR PLANE mode for me, was sometimes more often than not I forgot to turn it back off.
Once you miss a dozen important phone calls , your not to fond of it.

So this for many business professionals is a an award winning update. Until that Smart Controller update come along. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on water.

Reactions: Flying Grandma
Not a good idea using your everyday phone to fly a drone.

I would like it if @JMcD floated back in here and clarified this statement. Not a good idea? Why?

Personally, I have no issues using my only every-day phone to fly my drone. While I'm flying, I don't care to have my phone act like a phone, so it's a mutually exclusive use set. I turn Airplane Mode on, shut the world out, and enjoy my flight. When I'm packed away, the phone comes back off Airplane Mode.

Not a good idea using your everyday phone to fly a drone.
Some don’t have a choice. Could very well be a monetary issue with some people. I’ve been fortunate to be able to have a dedicated device for the fly toys.

On topic, IOS 14 does intro some great new stuff, and the idea of having a dedicated device for flying is nice if you can afford it.... The best option is probably the iPad Mini 5. While not perfect, gives you good screen size and the performance to run the app..

The problem I encounter with the iPhone and the MA2 Controller is that in the holder, buttons get pressed, volume or perhaps the power button depending on which way you insert it and perhaps which model you have, smaller iPhone models this may not be an issue??

And for the news of the Smart Controller update coming out, thats great news for the people that have one and have been waiting impatiently for months for it come out, hope its stable. Do the battery logs work?

While the Smart Controllers bright screen is probably a great thing for flying in bright sun, and many devices admittedly could be brighter, its a tough sell for me to have to spend within a few $$ the cost of of the MA2 for the Smart controller.. IMHO its overpriced for what it is. Perhaps some or all will disagree with that... Not sure what a reasonable price would be, perhaps under $500. but even then, its an expensive device, the screen while bright is far smaller than an inexpensive tablet or even an iPad Mini, which will run you about $300+ depending on new or used.. And in many cases, you can find ways to work around the brightness issue, shade covers, or places with shade to fly from, yeah, thats not always an option. I know... just my 2 cents..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada