DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I probably should not fly under overpass...

macik

Reactions
Flew under an overpass yesterday (over a creek) and my “no GPS” signal came on...I turned around (rather than ascend and fly over the road) and hurried home.

Probably not a good idea to fly under things like overpasses?

Thoughts, folks?

Reactions: Dbez1 and E90RAW
Get used to saying "I probably shouldn't". But because we can we do. That's the whole fun of the hobby, seeing what you can do that you shouldn't. As long as you aren't putting anyone at risk. And "survival of the fittest' will cure most of us(ie; having to spend the money to replace a drone). But, even then, I still keep pushing the boundaries......

Get used to saying "I probably shouldn't". But because we can we do. That's the whole fun of the hobby, seeing what you can do that you shouldn't. As long as you aren't putting anyone at risk. And "survival of the fittest' will cure most of us(ie; having to spend the money to replace a drone). But, even then, I still keep pushing the boundaries......
Absolutely!!!! You didn't by a high dollar dron to use it at its minimums. Push the boundaries and get those cool shots!

Actually, I would say that providing the light under the underpass is good enough for the vision sensors to work and you are low enough for them to see the ground (note ground not water) beneath the underpass then the mini is ok, it's just the same as flying indoors.
That being the case, the danger then becomes 'loss of control signal' and the response to that i.e. would it climb into the underpass, hover or land?
If the creek was the full width of the underpass you were probably wise.

This makes me wonder what would happen if the drone lost GPS high up, above the range of vision sensors??

Reactions: PhilipM and E90RAW
Actually, I would say that providing the light under the underpass is good enough for the vision sensors to work and you are low enough for them to see the ground (note ground not water) beneath the underpass then the mini is ok, it's just the same as flying indoors.
That being the case, the danger then becomes 'loss of control signal' and the response to that i.e. would it climb into the underpass, hover or land?

This makes me wonder what would happen if the drone lost GPS high up, above the range of vision sensors??
ATTI mode with only altitude hold, nothing more.

EEEEEK, would it be pitch and roll stable?
It will not hold position, it will drift with the wind & the AC will not break when releasing the sticks. So going under thing's & lose GPS and rely on VPS... & then lose light, then you will have ATTI, can be an heart stopping experience if you aren't used to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90RAW
It will not hold position, it will drift with the wind & the AC will not break when releasing the sticks. So going under thing's & lose GPS and Rey on VPS... & then lose light, then you will have ATTI.
I get that, thanks, but what I was trying to ask was, will it, in terms of roll and pitch, wobble?

I have just answered myself. Wrt to pitch and roll, my P3 is stable in ATTI mode and just drifts etc. in the wind, so I guess the mini would be the same.

Reactions: Capt KO and E90RAW
I get that, thanks, but what I was trying to ask was, will it, in terms of roll and pitch, wobble?

I have just answered myself. Wrt to pitch and roll, my P3 is stable in ATTI mode and just drifts etc. in the wind, so I guess the mini would be the same.
NO. In "S" mode I have had my M2P 1 foot from the ceiling and side wall and other than self generated currents it doesn't move.(I was attempting to scare a wasps nest which believe it or not worked). You definitively need the sensors off as previous person stated. And of course don't take your eyes off the unit as the self generated currents are strong. Under an overpass you would be fine. No wobble/pitch/roll with sensors off.

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will leave the underpass alone for now...

Reactions: PhilipM
Caution is sensible. My bottle ran out a few feet forward from here,

Attachments

• bridge.png
    bridge.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 195
Reactions: ptuner1
How wide overpass should be so that Mini lose GPS?
For example if it's 20m then in P mode we need 3 seconds to pass under it. Will that be enough to lose GPS?
If it's 30m then in S mode we again need around 3 seconds.

I have a few bridges over river in my city and I would maybe like to try someday to go under it.

How wide overpass should be so that Mini lose GPS?
For example if it's 20m then in P mode we need 3 seconds to pass under it. Will that be enough to lose GPS?
If it's 30m then in S mode we again need around 3 seconds.

I have a few bridges over river in my city and I would maybe like to try someday to go under it.
It was a four lane US highway and I was flying very slowly...

Last edited:
Starz, how would you suggest people trigger ATTI mode? In the house maybe easily enough (but perhaps unwise) by covering the vision sensors but outside?

Flew under an overpass yesterday (over a creek) and my “no GPS” signal came on...I turned around (rather than ascend and fly over the road) and hurried home.

Probably not a good idea to fly under things like overpasses?

Thoughts, folks?
why hurry home?....anything between drone and you can do this....bridge has steel,concrete and maybe some type of electrical interference

Last edited:
If it loses GPS reception together with losing vision sensors (too dark or too high), the drone will still fly perfectly normal. It just won't brake to a stop and hold a fixed position when the control sticks are centred. Also if there is a wind blowing the drone will be free to drift with the wind whenever the sticks are released, but you can still control it and tell it where to go.

Atti mode can be tricky in a tight space though, as the turbulence caused by the propwash means you need to actively stay on top of holding the drone in position.

One important thing to be aware of. Without GPS reception the drone is unable to navigate its way back home if you were also to lose the control signal. According to pg 14 of the user manual;
The aircraft cannot return to the Home Point if the GPS signal is weak or unavailable. If the GPS becomes weak or unavailable after RTH is triggered, the aircraft will hover in place for a while [?], and then start landing.

Reactions: Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus