DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I R TRUSTed!

Chaosrider

Reactions
I went ahead and took the TRUST course/test with Pilot Institute. I learned a couple of things, and I have a couple of comments:

1) The course confirmed something that I had suspected, and hoped was true. You can divide up the duties of VLOS on the drone, and watching the instruments, on screen or FPV. There are some easy restrictions, but it works. So maybe I'll find some young kid with awesome eyesight to do the VLOS thing, while I actually fly the aircraft.

2) Another good thing, which I didn't know, is that one registration is good for all the drones that you have. The registration is really of you, rather than a specific drone.

3) What's this CBO business? Community Based Organizations? How does THAT work?

4) NOTE TO PILOT INSTITUTE: Your course was quick and easy and well designed. But printing the cert was not! You need to move the content of the cert away from the margins of the page. If you're too cheap to pay the exorbitant cost of a full Acrobat license, like me, and you just use the Reader, you can't change the margins in the pdf, and the content gets cut off when you print it. I had to copy and paste the content into a Word file, and that worked...but it was unnecessarily clumsy.

I was hoping to get in at least one good flight today, but the wind has picked up beyond my comfort limits. At least I got this process task done.

Comments appreciated, particularly about CBO.

Thx,

TCS

I went ahead and took the TRUST course/test with Pilot Institute. I learned a couple of things, and I have a couple of comments:

1) The course confirmed something that I had suspected, and hoped was true. You can divide up the duties of VLOS on the drone, and watching the instruments, on screen or FPV. There are some easy restrictions, but it works. So maybe I'll find some young kid with awesome eyesight to do the VLOS thing, while I actually fly the aircraft.

2) Another good thing, which I didn't know, is that one registration is good for all the drones that you have. The registration is really of you, rather than a specific drone.

4) NOTE TO PILOT INSTITUTE: Your course was quick and easy and well designed. But printing the cert was not! You need to move the content of the cert away from the margins of the page. If you're too cheap to pay the exorbitant cost of a full Acrobat license, like me, and you just use the Reader, you can't change the margins in the pdf, and the content gets cut off when you print it. I had to copy and paste the content into a Word file, and that worked...but it was unnecessarily clumsy.

I was hoping to get in at least one good flight today, but the wind has picked up beyond my comfort limits. At least I got this process task done.

Thx,

TCS
Congrats on finishing and I'm glad you learned something along the way.

As far as the margins, we unfortunately had to stick with the file that the FAA sent us and we weren't allowed to modify it. This is actually the first time someone mention this issue so I wonder if there is a setting in your printer module that would allow for those margins to show.

What's this CBO business? Community Based Organizations? How does THAT work?
The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 states a community-based organization is an organization that:
  1. Is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

2. Is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

3. The mission of which is demonstrably the furtherance of model aviation;

4. Provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and the protection and safety of individuals and property on the ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of sight of the operator;

5. Provides programming and support for any local charter organizations, affiliates, or clubs; and

6. Provides assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites.
The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 requires the FAA and community-based aeromodelling organizations (CBOs) to coordinate the development of safety guidelines for recreational small unmanned aircraft operations. As of today, no recognized CBOs or coordinated safety guidelines exist. Until the FAA establishes the criteria and process and begins recognizing CBOs, they are allowing pilots to do one of the following:
  1. Operate in accordance with existing safety guidelines of an aeromodelling organization (like the AMA) as long as those guidelines do not conflict with existing FAA rules.

2. Follow the FAA’s existing safety guidelines – which are based on industry best practices.

Guys this is all covered here if not let’s just post here
No need for multiple threads
Thanks. .

As long as you are flying recreationally, yes. That confused me but I was glad it worked that way.

If you get your Part 107 certification, you have to register drones you fly for commercial purposes separately. I have 3 drones that are good enough I might use them for a commercial endeavor (putting my music to my footage on YouTube) so I just registered them. The rest of them all have my old recreational registration number. Honestly, since I got my MA2 this past April, I rarely fly my other drones.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

As far as the margins, we unfortunately had to stick with the file that the FAA sent us and we weren't allowed to modify it. This is actually the first time someone mention this issue so I wonder if there is a setting in your printer module that would allow for those margins to show.
Ahh, that makes sense that the FAA would give you an unalterable format.

I do have a low end printer, but I don't think that's the problem. I can adjust the margins in my Word files just fine.

Still, if I'm the only one with the problem...then there isn't a problem!

Thanks for getting this up and ready to go as soon as the test was released. You've done a real service to the drone community.

:)

TCS

Thx,

TCS
There is a work around to this!!!

Just do a screen grab of the certificate
On your desk top, right click on the icon of this screen grab
Open the file in Photoshop
Now you can make it any size you want- here it is with my hand for perspective size

I have made two copies- one for my drone case, and one for my wallet (front and back taped together).
Drone-Trust certificate-2.jpg

Last edited:

Now you can make it any size you want- here it is with my hand for perspective size

I have made two copies- one for my drone case, and one for my wallet (front and back taped together).

@Dale D

Umm, we can still see your name and token, I would delete these photos if I was you.

Another comment about the TRUST certificate: I wish the page 2 “back” of the certificate were positioned such that you could print the page 1 “front” of the certificate, then flip the paper over, and print page 2 so that it prints directly on the back of the page 1 “front.” OR lay it out the way other FAA certificates are laid out: front and back laid out side-to-side, allowing you to fold the certificate to get a front-and-back. I laminate my FAA wallet-size certificates. Either layout method makes lamination easy.

Thx,

TCS
Maybe I misread, are you saying that this statement by the FAA is incorrect: "The remote PIC and person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small unmanned aircraft at all times during flight. This requirement also applies to the visual observer, if used during the aircraft operation."? I read it as, having a visual observer does not relieve the person operating the controls or the PIC of maintaining VLOS during the flight.

The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 states a community-based organization is an organization that:
  1. Is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

2. Is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

3. The mission of which is demonstrably the furtherance of model aviation;

4. Provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and the protection and safety of individuals and property on the ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of sight of the operator;

5. Provides programming and support for any local charter organizations, affiliates, or clubs; and

6. Provides assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites.
The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 requires the FAA and community-based aeromodelling organizations (CBOs) to coordinate the development of safety guidelines for recreational small unmanned aircraft operations. As of today, no recognized CBOs or coordinated safety guidelines exist. Until the FAA establishes the criteria and process and begins recognizing CBOs, they are allowing pilots to do one of the following:
  1. Operate in accordance with existing safety guidelines of an aeromodelling organization (like the AMA) as long as those guidelines do not conflict with existing FAA rules.

2. Follow the FAA’s existing safety guidelines – which are based on industry best practices.
Very helpful, thanks! I know a great deal about 501.c.3 orgnizations, having run and been on the boards of several.

What caught my atention was during the course for the TRUST test, it said (with some confusion around it) that I had to abide by the rules that the CBO sets.

Given what you've posted here, I think I'm going to set one up as soon as that's an option. Unless things have changed a lot, setting up a 501.c.3 is neither straightforward nor cheap nor quick. When I did my first one, I was fortunate to have an IRS agent as one of the core members.

Still, I wouldn't want someone ELSE to set it up, and impose a bunch of dumb rules that have a lot to do with control, and little to do with safety.

I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Thx!

TCS

As long as you are flying recreationally, yes. That confused me but I was glad it worked that way.

If you get your Part 107 certification, you have to register drones you fly for commercial purposes separately. I have 3 drones that are good enough I might use them for a commercial endeavor (putting my music to my footage on YouTube) so I just registered them. The rest of them all have my old recreational registration number. Honestly, since I got my MA2 this past April, I rarely fly my other drones.
Yes, that's consistent with my understanding.

Since I'm just going to be flying Mini-2s for a while, I'm not going to register them unless some clear path to making money presents itself. I've got a few ideas about that.

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: maggior

View attachment 131181
This, of course, assumes one has Photoshop...

Maybe I misread, are you saying that this statement by the FAA is incorrect: "The remote PIC and person manipulating the controls must be able to see the small unmanned aircraft at all times during flight. This requirement also applies to the visual observer, if used during the aircraft operation."? I read it as, having a visual observer does not relieve the person operating the controls or the PIC of maintaining VLOS during the flight.
Well, it says "be able to see".

That's not the same thing as, say, "in continuous visual contact".

And I guess I'm a little confused. Is the text that you quote directly part of the regulation, or is it a summary of some kind? That would matter too.

I know I need to just read the Reg entirely, but that's not something I'm naturally inclined to do with my spare time.

A lot of these rules are based on theory and concept, rather than practical operation. They'll evolve over time. That's exactly what happened with the LSA rules.

Thx,

TCS

Well, it says "be able to see".

That's not the same thing as, say, "in continuous visual contact".

And I guess I'm a little confused. Is the text that you quote directly part of the regulation, or is it a summary of some kind? That would matter too.

I know I need to just read the Reg entirely, but that's not something I'm naturally inclined to do with my spare time.

A lot of these rules are based on theory and concept, rather than practical operation. They'll evolve over time. That's exactly what happened with the LSA rules.

Thx,

TCS
My point is the OP commented he'd just look for a kid with awesome eyesight, implying he'd let him to the looking. And, my understanding is the FAA regulations reads differently. Perhaps not flying under 107 rules there's different requirements – this I don't know and the reason for my comment. See: Section 107.31 https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2017-title14-vol2/pdf/CFR-2017-title14-vol2-sec107-31.pdf

My point is the OP commented he'd just look for a kid with awesome eyesight, implying he'd let him to the looking. And, my understanding is the FAA regulations reads differently. Perhaps not flying under 107 rules there's different requirements – this I don't know and the reason for my comment. See: Section 107.31 https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2017-title14-vol2/pdf/CFR-2017-title14-vol2-sec107-31.pdf
OK, I just read this, and it confirms my view of the situation.

Please refer to section 107.31.b

It says that the VLOS requirement must be excercised for the entire flight by *EITHER* the remote PIC *OR* the Visual Observer.

Right?

So my hypothetical kid with awesome eysight can meet this requirement, while I fly the little beast just by reference to the data on the screen. Drone IFR!

Right?

Please let me know if there's something there that you're looking at, that I'm not seeing.

Thx!

TCS

OK, I just read this, and it confirms my view of the situation.

Please refer to section 107.31.b

It says that the VLOS requirement must be excercised for the entire flight by *EITHER* the remote PIC *OR* the Visual Observer.

Right?

So my hypothetical kid with awesome eysight can meet this requirement, while I fly the little beast just by reference to the data on the screen. Drone IFR!

Right?

Please let me know if there's something there that you're looking at, that I'm not seeing.

Thx!

TCS
Yes, I see where part (b) clarifies the statement made in part (a). My original source only quoted part (a), which led to the confusion... glad to have it correct now.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

I had the same issue also. But I couldnt print anything off

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair