DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I shot down my drone!

787steve

Reactions
IMG_2489.jpgIMG_2490.jpgIMG_2491.jpg

I thought that might get some views. And it is true. But there is more to the story, and I am looking for advice, and predictions. First of all, it was MY Drone!. And second of all, it was stuck high in a tree. It was the only way to break it loose. I won't go into all the details, but the eventual rescue, which took place a year after the incident, involved a .22 rifle, a bucket loader, a long pole saw, and me hoping I wasn't going to end up in a youtube video with millions of people thinking I was an idiot. (They wouldn't know me well enough from one video as to how big an idiot I might be.)

First lesson learned. No matter how stunning the sunrise, do not wake up in a new area and run out while half asleep and try to get some shots of that view.

I was visiting family in West Virginia, USA. They have an old farm on a hill in a very picturesque and tranquil area. The original part of the house was built in the 1780's, which is considered old in the US. I awoke the first morning to a stunning view of the valley below. I hurried in, grabbed my MPro, went to the front yard and took off. I was careful to take it up above the level of the tall trees. While looking forward from the house, I decided to back the drone up behind the house. I wanted the house in the foreground of this great view. What I didn't consider in my still waking brain was that there was an even taller ancient pine behind the house. Yep, the next thing I knew, I had backed my Pro into the tree. It tumbled slightly down, but was still very high up in a tree that would be dangerous to climb . ( Thank goodness, I had State Farm insurance, which paid without question.)

We tried shooting the branch which held the drone, and one of the "marksmen" was a bit agressive and hit the drone. It ended up with minor damage from a glancing shot at one leg, and needing a new prop due to a bullet going through one blade.

To make a long story short, we just returned to the scene of the crime, one year later. It had dropped by wind and weather effects, and was somewhat more available to rifle fire. A few well placed rounds finally took out the branch and with some other creative use of associated equipment, it returned "safely" to earth.

So, my question is what to do now. The damage to the leg seems minor, assuming wiring isn't affected. The prop change is a no brainer. But how should I go about trying to restart it after being exposed to a years worth of snow and rain? I am also curious as to whether people believe it will fly again. I have done no more than to remove the battery at this point. I am thinking to let it dry out good, though it showed no real sign of moisture, and the recent weather has been very dry. I think I will then put in a new battery and see how things go slowly, but, hopefully, surely. (I almost sold all of my associated equipment, but now I am glad I held on to it.)

Anyone have opinions on whether it will fly again, or recommendations on how to go about the recovery process. I will keep you all posted.

Last edited:
Everything can be fixed, it's just a matter of what it's worth to you. Open it up and see what the electronics look like. If it got wet when it still had juice in the battery, there's going to be corrosion. If it all looks okay, I'd be tempted to put a battery in it and see what happens. I think you're going to need to replace that arm.

If the internals held up as well as the orange skin after a year's worth of weather I wouldn't be surprised if it fired right up with a fresh battery.

Stick a new battery in and see what it does! If it works, I'd recommend disassembling it and checking for corrosion on the circuit boards. I parked my Mini up a tree doing a very similar move. After 4 weeks in some heavy downpours and strong wind (50mph+) I managed to recover it and it worked perfectly, only requiring a fresh battery. I checked inside and there was a small amount of (hard to spot without a magnifying glass!) corrosion on one circuit board, which I cleaned with iso-alcohol. Leaving it could mean further corrosion due to airborne moisture and dirt on the circuit board.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I think it will fire right up and fly. You’ll need to repair or replace the arm for longtime use.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Serious question and not intended to start a debate so if felt necessary would a mod delete this..... but these shooting into the sky events always make me wonder....where does the bullet go?
it would be taking the thread of topic ,but if you feel so strongly about it then put your thoughts in a report and submit it

Serious question and not intended to start a debate so if felt necessary would a mod delete this..... but these shooting into the sky events always make me wonder....where does the bullet go?

In this case, into the woods on their very large farm. Wouldn't have tried it if any possibility of down range issues.

I would not spend one cent repairing because it sat out too long and there is a good chance the UV degraded the plastic of the hull and arms.
Not to mention fungus and mold on the electronics, perhaps not obvious to the eye.
But then it's just your hobby so perhaps for fun go for it.

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
Surprised you couldn't find someone to climb the tree. I've been over 70' up a pine tree just for fun (geocaching). And I was in my early 50s at the time.

What part of West Virginia were you in?

Reactions: Leeedgar85
If you were paid out by State Farm, technically the drone belongs to them now. I suggest asking your agent what they want done with it.

Yeah as a WV'eer. We do have plenty of trees that will jump up and grab a drone in a heartbeat!! Glad you had insurance and able to rescue the drone if no other reason just to investigate its condition.

Reactions: Dbez1
Loved this story. An adventure In itself and with more to come. Does it fly again after changing a few parts...that is the question. Hey love your skin..snap.

Attachments

• 68F4E74C-66FB-416C-AF73-485E587DEB36.jpeg
    68F4E74C-66FB-416C-AF73-485E587DEB36.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
Reactions: Leeedgar85
Lots of deep thinking comments posted here on this one ........ just Araldite the damage, new rotors, put it in a warm place for a few days to air it through then stick a new battery in and see what happens! Chances are it will fly up as if nothing is any different. These DJI drones are very resilient.

Reactions: NAVMAV and DanaMc
I manage a fleet of drones and pilots from Mass to Ca to San Juan. This past year we have had 9 (that I know of, probably more) M2P's that have gotten stuck in trees. Some of the trees in the Eastern states are very tall as well as Eucalyptus trees in CA. Sometimes we have had to get fairly creative trying to get them down.
Here are a few suggestions:
1. Grab some tennis balls, you can throw them more accurately than a rock and they don't seem to damage the drones as bad. I have heard you can even purchase or make an airgun that shoots tennis balls, but we haven't tried those
2. Call a tree guy, Arborist we have used them a few times but the cost can be anywhere from 125-350 bucks or maybe more depending on drive time and prevailing cost.
3. If you know any rock climbers or friends that have good fall protection equipment and are nimble, give them a call.
4. One of my pilots suggested chasing a cat up the tree then calling the fire Dept. While they were getting the cat down they could grab the drone :) ( we didn't follow that idea LOL)

My guess is the drone will NOT fly after a year being in the elements, especially if it got some moisture contamination while l there was amperage hrs/power left in the battery. I would be very skeptical and warn against putting a good battery in the drone, EVEN if it looks clean inside and all the circuit boards.
Also like Dawgpilot commented above, it actually belongs to State Farm and best if you keep them in the loop :)

Good luck and keep us posted :)

I doubt I'd pay to have it repaired. In my case it would become a project. Minimize the repairs to only what's needed to get it back in the air. If it won't fly, use it to practice some of your drone repair skills. If you can't repair it, maybe just part it out. If you do get it in the air again provided everything works, you can use it for the more risky flights. At least it will have some character... and if it does fly with minor repairs, are you gonna rename it? I generally don't give names to my aircraft but for something that has survived weather for a year and a .22, Bulletproof comes to mind as well as Zeus.

View attachment 107970View attachment 107971View attachment 107972

I thought that might get some views. And it is true. But there is more to the story, and I am looking for advice, and predictions. First of all, it was MY Drone!. And second of all, it was stuck high in a tree. It was the only way to break it loose. I won't go into all the details, but the eventual rescue, which took place a year after the incident, involved a .22 rifle, a bucket loader, a long pole saw, and me hoping I wasn't going to end up in a youtube video with millions of people thinking I was an idiot. (They wouldn't know me well enough from one video as to how big an idiot I might be.)

First lesson learned. No matter how stunning the sunrise, do not wake up in a new area and run out while half asleep and try to get some shots of that view.

I was visiting family in West Virginia, USA. They have an old farm on a hill in a very picturesque and tranquil area. The original part of the house was built in the 1780's, which is considered old in the US. I awoke the first morning to a stunning view of the valley below. I hurried in, grabbed my MPro, went to the front yard and took off. I was careful to take it up above the level of the tall trees. While looking forward from the house, I decided to back the drone up behind the house. I wanted the house in the foreground of this great view. What I didn't consider in my still waking brain was that there was an even taller ancient pine behind the house. Yep, the next thing I knew, I had backed my Pro into the tree. It tumbled slightly down, but was still very high up in a tree that would be dangerous to climb . ( Thank goodness, I had State Farm insurance, which paid without question.)

We tried shooting the branch which held the drone, and one of the "marksmen" was a bit agressive and hit the drone. It ended up with minor damage from a glancing shot at one leg, and needing a new prop due to a bullet going through one blade.

To make a long story short, we just returned to the scene of the crime, one year later. It had dropped by wind and weather effects, and was somewhat more available to rifle fire. A few well placed rounds finally took out the branch and with some other creative use of associated equipment, it returned "safely" to earth.

So, my question is what to do now. The damage to the leg seems minor, assuming wiring isn't affected. The prop change is a no brainer. But how should I go about trying to restart it after being exposed to a years worth of snow and rain? I am also curious as to whether people believe it will fly again. I have done no more than to remove the battery at this point. I am thinking to let it dry out good, though it showed no real sign of moisture, and the recent weather has been very dry. I think I will then put in a new battery and see how things go slowly, but, hopefully, surely. (I almost sold all of my associated equipment, but now I am glad I held on to it.)

Anyone have opinions on whether it will fly again, or recommendations on how to go about the recovery process. I will keep you all posted.
View attachment 107970View attachment 107971View attachment 107972

Fill a bucket big enough to hold the Mavic then remove the battery and submerge the Mavic into the rice and leave it for 24 hrs. The rice will draw all the moisture out of the components. I've done it before and it works.

I manage a fleet of drones and pilots from Mass to Ca to San Juan. This past year we have had 9 (that I know of, probably more) M2P's that have gotten stuck in trees. Some of the trees in the Eastern states are very tall as well as Eucalyptus trees in CA. Sometimes we have had to get fairly creative trying to get them down.
1. Grab some tennis balls, you can throw them more accurately than a rock and they don't seem to damage the drones as bad. I have heard you can even purchase or make an airgun that shoots tennis balls, but we haven't tried those
2. Call a tree guy, Arborist we have used them a few times but the cost can be anywhere from 125-350 bucks or maybe more depending on drive time and prevailing cost.
3. If you know any rock climbers or friends that have good fall protection equipment and are nimble, give them a call.
4. One of my pilots suggested chasing a cat up the tree then calling the fire Dept. While they were getting the cat down they could grab the drone :) ( we didn't follow that idea LOL)

My guess is the drone will NOT fly after a year being in the elements, especially if it got some moisture contamination while l there was amperage hrs/power left in the battery. I would be very skeptical and warn against putting a good battery in the drone, EVEN if it looks clean inside and all the circuit boards.
Also like Dawgpilot commented above, it actually belongs to State Farm and best if you keep them in the loop :)

As for getting things up and down from trees, the easiest method that I have found is the use of a crossbow with fishing line firmly attetched to the bolt.
a crossbow is very accurate and can be fired above and behind the branch or item that the drone is attached to. Once in place a good tug will work, however if your bolt gets stuck it’s a $5 replacement or you can fire multiple times at no cost!,!
Try it it’s very simple and 99% fool proof

My first toy drone got stuck high in a white pine. I tried the throwing tennis ball approach, and couldn’t get close to the height I needed. Then I tried hitting the tennis ball with a racket, and I had a few shots that came close, but it lookEd like it would take a month to do it. (Also, I could only find one tennis ball at home, so I would hit it, miss, then have to walk into the backyard find the tennis ball, and then come back and start again, so that was really never going to work.) Finally, I taped some fishing line to the tennis ball, and then whacked it over the branch that held the drone, and then was able to grab the line and shake the branch violently enough that the drone fell down. (All those years at an engineering school we’re not for naught!)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji