DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think I got new Mavic Mini World distance Record :)

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 109934

I went back again to the same spot and did another range test. The wind was only 4 knots, but this time I had a headwind on the way back. Gentle breeze into the lake made the lake super flat and wi-fi signal to carry at maximum range. I have noticed waves on the lake change signal profile quite a lot.

S Mode and full gas straight. I knew where cellphone towers are and stayed as far from them as possible. 10m above the water to be able to use water as a wi-fi reflector.

I got to 4km mark and almost got paralyzed when I saw a message: low battery "return home" :) I pressed yes because I could not see how much battery I have left (white font on white sky = can't see it). AC stopped and slowly started to increase elevation to 30m and then slowly went back, and this took good 40 seconds before it was at speed going back, what I waste of time! I was so scared I forgot simple math and thought I would miss home by 200m. I was already thinking to order another AC as a replacement. On the way back still in sports mode full gas last 3-4 min I had constant message "Aircraft power insufficient", and speed dropped to 30-35km/h I think batteries had a hard time to keep up.

Since video transmission was not interrupted, I'm pretty sure it would go further. This was my last test; it is just stupid to go that far, too much stress and I just see no point.

Few tips for curious types:
  • No matter what, check the wind and ALWAYS make sure to have a tailwind on the way back; this way, you will help your batteries and achieve longer results.
  • DO not use return home; it just takes too much time. If you can't come back without RTH just don't run the test, I could manually turn back in 2-3 sec instead of 40s.
  • If you are doing the test over water waves, make a big difference.
  • The last tip: don't do it at all, it is not worth it, it does go to 4km what's the point?
Here is a video:

I went back again to the same spot and did another range test. The wind was only 4 knots, but this time I had a headwind on the way back. Gentle breeze into the lake made the lake super flat and wi-fi signal to carry at maximum range. I have noticed waves on the lake change signal profile quite a lot.

S Mode and full gas straight. I knew where cellphone towers are and stayed as far from them as possible. 10m above the water to be able to use water as a wi-fi reflector.

I got to 4km mark and almost got paralyzed when I saw a message: low battery "return home" :) I pressed yes because I could not see how much battery I have left (white font on white sky = can't see it). AC stopped and slowly started to increase elevation to 30m and then slowly went back, and this took good 40 seconds before it was at speed going back, what I waste of time! I was so scared I forgot simple math and thought I would miss home by 200m. I was already thinking to order another AC as a replacement. On the way back still in sports mode full gas last 3-4 min I had constant message "Aircraft power insufficient", and speed dropped to 30-35km/h I think batteries had a hard time to keep up.

Since video transmission was not interrupted, I'm pretty sure it would go further. This was my last test; it is just stupid to go that far, too much stress and I just see no point.

• No matter what, check the wind and ALWAYS make sure to have a tailwind on the way back; this way, you will help your batteries and achieve longer results.
  • DO not use return home; it just takes too much time. If you can't come back without RTH just don't run the test, I could manually turn back in 2-3 sec instead of 40s.
  • The last tip: don't do it at all, it is not worth it, it does go to 4km what's the point?
Here is a video:

glad you advised others not to it but at least you proved that dji were not lying when they give max range 4000m (FCC) in the manual and half that for the rest of us

Wow nail biter, I think I still won on a technicality, successful range test is the keyword, he crashed :)
It is interesting to compare the data, I had 7% more battery at 3.5km I guess due to denser air in Canada at this time of the year.

I honestly would end up like him but my drone would be in the water if I would see battery level when I got message RTH. Thank god for drone being smarter than me :)

I guess the Mavic mini worth the right price for what you get in the range department. For such small device and without ocusync, the range is just unbelievable. I don't think the Mavic air have the same range or I am wrong?

Reactions: old man mavic
I guess the Mavic mini worth the right price for what you get in the range department. For such small device and without ocusync, the range is just unbelievable. I don't think the Mavic air have the same range or I am wrong?

Those ranges are only achievable in certain conditions, they are completely unrealistic in normal places. Having said that MM has enough range to do cool shoots in a safe way, I would not go further than 300m in heavily populated areas.

If you feel a need to do the range test, pick a remote road and land when the battery is low then drive there to pick up your drone ....

I saw a video last night where a MM went just over 18000 feet which is 3.4 miles. It did crash on return about 50 ft short of the landing pad when battery went to 0. this is a mile farther than 4 km

Sorry, I also don't get why you'd do a range test over a large body of water?
i think it was to avoid unwanted interference from other wi fi, but i agree it is a risky thing to do as its by by drone if it goes pear shaped

range test are just asking to loose your drone. I live in the desert and I'm sure I could fly out 3 or 4 miles or more over flat terrain probably a lot more just never had the desire to do so, and I really don't have to worry about loosing the drone, I just drive out to were it landed .

Great.... Two class system... EU with average 1.5km... US/CA with average 4+km...not fair
those systems are not decided by DJI, they have to abide by the countries rules on radio communications and signal strength ,to be able to sell their drones in different parts of the world

those systems are not decided by DJI, they have to abide by the countries rules on radio communications and signal strength ,to be able to sell their drones in different parts of the world
Totally clear... But still a two class system... I guess it is also possible to limit the FCC power in the US without breaking the law... So the other way around than it is today

If you feel a need to do the range test, pick a remote road and land when the battery is low then drive there to pick up your drone ....

And make sure to have 60km/h tailwind ;) Or just keep the drone in the car and drive around :)

That does not count, the drone should go back and forth to make it a bit harder, no antenna extenders etc, just stock drone.

• Haha
Reactions: dhnguyen
Great.... Two class system... EU with average 1.5km... US/CA with average 4+km...not fair

I'm originally for Europe, now in Canada, it might seem unfair, but distances in here are just incredible in comparison to Europe. Everything is big here, I miss the times when I could jump on the bike and go around town twice and do all I need to do. I drive 55km to the park (I call it a park) to fly my drone...

Reactions: old man mavic
Those ranges are only achievable in certain conditions, they are completely unrealistic in normal places. Having said that MM has enough range to do cool shoots in a safe way, I would not go further than 300m in heavily populated areas.

Yep I have used 1 watt FRS walkie Talkies and gotten about 12 mile ranges when talking to a friend on the other side of a massive harbor. Those same radios could barely do two miles on regular ground terrain.

I've seen 4.2km with 20% battery on landing, so I'd say it can certainly achieve advertised range for FCC model. Biggest concern is getting caught in an unexpected headwind - might need to find a safe spot to land it in such a case.

Here is a video:

Do you not have to maintain line of sight at all times in your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya