DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think I've made a mistake

Fret

Reactions
Hi all. Drone newbie here 👩‍🌾

I recently bought a DJI mini 2, and only then found out about the world of FPV, and now a few weeks on, I think I'm going to return the mini 2 and get a cinematic fpv drone instead. The mini drones take amazing video but the flying experience is just boring and I'd love the freedom to fly around with an fpv drone instead, while still being able to take amazing 4K cinematic footage.

I'd appreciate some advice for a beginner, which drone, controller and goggles would you recommend for someone with a budget of $500-600?

The Cinelog 25 has really caught my eye. With a naked 4K cam on top, this would be exactly what I'm looking for. Smooth cinematic footage with some freedom to fly around acro, without it being a full on speedy race drone. I'm just not sure which affordable goggles and controller would pair well with the Cinelog 25.

Most of the folks here are flying some form of a Mavic so there may not be a lot of depth of knowledge of inexpensive FPV drones. There is another sister forum, DJI Avata. Where you might get a better response. It’s likely that nobody here has had any experience with the Cinelog25 although I have no clue. I’ve never heard of it. My only experience is with the DJI FPV and Avata drones since I’ve have them. Many of the fpv drones are home made kits or from scratch.

Most of the folks here are flying some form of a Mavic so there may not be a lot of depth of knowledge of inexpensive FPV drones. There is another sister forum, DJI Avata. Where you might get a better response. It’s likely that nobody here has had any experience with the Cinelog25 although I have no clue. I’ve never heard of it. My only experience is with the DJI FPV and Avata drones since I’ve have them. Many of the fpv drones are home made kits or from scratch.
Thanks, that's a good point. I'll check out the Avata and some FPV forums :)

Just pick the Avata, it has some design flaws like the SD port location, the connection to the mobile phone to enable RID and the bundles that don't come with a proper controller, but it's plug&play and easy to learn.

Stabilized drones get old soon for most people that are not photographers, but what never gets old it's the M3 telephoto, the S.XXI binoculars; I'm sure Hitchcock would make a film about it 😆

Those little Cinewhoops generally have very short flight times, they one you linked to is just 5-1/2 minutes.
No gimbal movement, rely on wide FOV on the action cams and flgiht control to frame whatever you want to film to get some video (no photos).
No camera control as far as starting or stopping in flight, it's turned on before take off, turned off on landing.
Flying is really hands on, ALL the time, rather than the very easy flying you get form DJI style consumer drones.

They take quite some time to master, a lot of crashes very likely, but they are usually a lot more resilient than the DJI drones in that regard . . . might you, when you've learned the DJI drone systems properly and deep enough, they are almost impossible to crash anyway.

Your best bet would be the Avata, or DJI FPV (drone), both have several levels of flight mode, from pretty much same flight controller stability, thrrough to full atti mode where you need to fly it constantly.

I recently bought a DJI mini 2, and only then found out about the world of FPV, and now a few weeks on, I think I'm going to return the mini 2 and get a cinematic fpv drone instead. The mini drones take amazing video but the flying experience is just boring and I'd love the freedom to fly around with an fpv drone instead, while still being able to take amazing 4K cinematic footage.

I'd appreciate some advice for a beginner, which drone, controller and goggles would you recommend for someone with a budget of $500-600?

The Cinelog 25 has really caught my eye. With a naked 4K cam on top, this would be exactly what I'm looking for. Smooth cinematic footage with some freedom to fly around acro, without it being a full on speedy race drone. I'm just not sure which affordable goggles and controller would pair well with the Cinelog 25.

You don’t really need another drone you can fly vr with goggles with litchi app. Although I prefer the air 2 with more weight and power
I only fly fpv wanna see some of my videos?

Hi there @Fret & welcome to the forum.

The truth is that you're in the wrong place though... all here is about DJI Mavic "photo" drones & not about acro quads, especially if they aren't labeled DJI in the model name. Sadly the sister forum FPV Drone Pilots Forum is also badly biased towards the 2 pure DJI models... the Avata & the DJI FPV drone.

I would instead recommend a forum like [link removed by moderator] & a suitable sub-forum there, the knowledge is much higher there regarding all other methods to get airborne (also plug & play) besides going directly into the expensive DJI ecosystem which usually lacks cross compatibility between equipment, no possibility to tweak flight behavior & where you must buy DJI quad accessories exclusively.

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you regarding your set budget level ... 500-600$ will not get you into HD quad flying, no matter if you go directly to the DJI alternatives or something else. Your budget will only cover the quad itself but no goggles, no radio, no receiver, no charger & no batteries. Today the initial investment is equal, doesn't matter if you go with any of the 2 DJI quad combos (Avata, DJI FPV drone) or something else, like the Cinelog 25 you mentioned.

The major difference running cost wise will come after the initial investment with much cheaper accessories, full freedom to combine different equipment like props, batteries, radios & receivers... and to this full possibility to mod flight behavior to your liking out from open source firmwares which have a very quick update cycle if something needs to be fixed.

This combo below is also a plug & play kit ... (with no need to build & tinker, solder or tune any firmware)
(Total price is approx. twice your set budget though... you can regulate the cost a bit by choosing a cheaper radio, cheaper charger & cheaper batteries. Quad & Goggles is what it is ... it has to be the DJI goggles & the quad is what you choose).

For instance a GEPRC Cinebot30 bought "Bind & Fly" with for instance a Crossfire or ELRS receiver...
1674048703045.png

A game controller shaped radio, for instance a TBS Tango 2 with Crossfire or ELRS module compatibility
1674048880282.png
The DJI FPV Goggles V2
1674048930370.png
A LiPo battery charger
1674049004069.png
And as many generic LiPo batteries you want in a appropriate size...
1674049073643.png

On top of all this I would put a couple extra dollars on a realistic flight physics PC Simulator. (like Velocidrone).. it's fun & give you the possibility to practice without breaking any equipment... invest 30 hours in it before going out to fly for real & you will thank yourself later.
1674049884442.png

(Even though below is flown with my 5" iFlight Nazgul carrying a GoPro10)... this is the kind of flying you will be able to do if you want to challenge yourself & don't necessarily want to record calmer cinematic more pleasing for a viewer. I'm more a flyer than a audience videographer... this is how I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

You do you. But first, do no harm. I would love to get out in the open country and do FPV. But I am usually around obstacles and some people.

Legally, you must have a VO (visual observer) with you when flying FPV and you have to maintain VLOS.

You are a beginner. Check out a video of a very experienced drone pilot getting into FPV HERE.

Good luck and fly safe.

Reactions: LoudThunder

If you want to see great FPV flying, check out alex-markov on this forum. He's in Bulgaria so VLOS may be different than USA. He's taken away most of the sudden turns that make viewers dizzy like the above video (which for the flyer may be fun, but not fun to view) and he fly's threw obstacles like no one else I've seen.

If you want to see great FPV flying, check out... He's taken away most of the sudden turns that make viewers dizzy...
😄

To each their own I guess, but it all depends on the purpose & the audience.

I'm remembering a poll that came up here on MavicPilots a while back... "are you a pilot flying drones that happens to have a camera or are you a photographer that happens to have a camera that flies" ... or something similar. A vast majority on this forum considered themself to be in the second category, a photographer... that produces for an audience.

If you are in the first category... a pilot, all this cinematic stuff is hugely boring, if you're trying to learn acro flying for real, "flippy floppy" clips is what you want... preferably with the stick moves layered onto the movie so it's easier to see how the moves were made... then out & try to do it yourself.

And... yeah, the untrained viewer dizziness is understandable, but you usually overcome it rather quickly & even quicker if motivated (like... just spent 1200$ on a FPV kit). Even my 82 year old father can nowadays look at my acrobatics without getting dizzy... he says -it's a matter of placing yourself in the pilots seat when looking. 😁

-it's a matter of placing yourself in the pilots seat when looking.
Yes of course it is, but the pilots know what they are about to do, we don't and that makes it difficult to watch. Yes you can get used to it, if you want to, but they are few and far between on this forum, so maybe more FPV pilots can start placing more video's to the forum. I believe Dale on this forum once stated that he could see how long someone watched a particular video and I'm not sure how to do that, but it would be interesting.

Reactions: SeaPig
Yes of course it is, but the pilots know what they are about to do, we don't and that makes it difficult to watch. Yes you can get used to it, if you want to, but they are few and far between on this forum, so maybe more FPV pilots can start placing more video's to the forum. I believe Dale on this forum once stated that he could see how long someone watched a particular video and I'm not sure how to do that, but it would be interesting.
Yeah... as you say, this is the wrong forum for acro flying. Myself, I have all needed for flying & producing what for instance you want to see... but every time I strap on a LiIon battery on the quad making it able to be airborne 20min+, dialing in the exposure with ND filters for best quality & pleasing motion blur on the GoPro ... I usually get bored after a couple minutes flying & reverting back to challenge my flying skills again... it's not for me apparently, I fly for the sake of flying nothing more 😄

And you can see all statistics over your uploads on Youtube through Youtube Studio...

Yeah... as you say, this is the wrong forum for acro flying. Myself, I have all needed for flying & producing what for instance you want to see... but every time I strap on a LiIon battery on the quad making it able to be airborne 20min+, dialing in the exposure with ND filters for best quality & pleasing motion blur on the GoPro ... I usually get bored after a couple minutes flying & reverting back to challenge my flying skills again... it's not for me apparently, I fly for the sake of flying nothing more 😄

And you can see all statistics over your uploads on Youtube through Youtube Studio...
Thanks.

Reactions: SeaPig and slup
You don’t really need another drone you can fly vr with goggles with litchi app. Although I prefer the air 2 with more weight and power
I only fly fpv wanna see some of my videos?
Yes. Litchi. DroneVR is another great FPV app. All you need besides the Mini2 an app are cheap <$30 VR goggles. The learning curve on a pure FPV drone is intense and there are growing costs as you get into it.

If I wanted to start with REAL FPV I would go with the Avata. Not cheap- but comes with training wheels.

this is the wrong forum for acro flying

I agree, but the OP states "I think I'm going to return the mini 2 and get a cinematic fpv drone instead." which is far from acro type flying.
Cinematic FPV style flying is far, low, fast, sweeping, occasional dives through terrain etc.
Al la Johhny FPV, Ellis Van Jason, Joshua Turner and quite a lot of others on YouTube et al.
(Or, maybe they haven't described what they do really want from an FPV drone.)
A few FPV pilots combine arco type flight and cinematic, but they are very different of course.

Yes. Litchi. DroneVR is another great FPV app. All you need besides the Mini2 an app are cheap <$30 VR goggles. The learning curve on a pure FPV drone is intense and there are growing costs as you get into it.

If I wanted to start with REAL FPV I would go with the Avata. Not cheap- but comes with training wheels.

I think sticking with the intro drone mini 2 and goggles that give the FPV experience is a good idea.
Get used to sticks and the way the drone moves etc, basic flight control, moving into sports mode.

Then when you realise this is for you, get a drone flight sim, several free online, a good set of goggles, a good transmitter (controller), and get into phase 2.
Lastly get a tinywhoop with reasonable flight time, use it for 10 - 15 min flights and how to relearn some of the stick work, for example when moving forward, you must give power stick a boost to keep it from nose diving (the sim will help with this).

It's an exciting new drone world I guess, I'm yet to (and maybe never ?) take that final step.

...a cinematic fpv drone instead." which is far from acro type flying.
Cinematic FPV style flying is far, low, fast, sweeping, occasional dives through terrain etc.
Not quite & not in every sense... "Acro" isn't necessarily meaning "acrobatic flying" it's used as a mode name meaning "fully manual mode", another name for the same mode is "Rate mode"... it's only DJI that uses the expression Manual mode on the Avata & DJI FPV drone.

Usually a quad outside the DJI ecosystem have 3 modes:

Acro=totally unrestricted in it's movements & stick movements command rate of rotation in degrees/sec when stick is applied. Stick in neutral the rotation stops.

Horizon=the quad is restricted in pre-set tilt angle & stick movements maintain a certain attitude... similar as a DJI Mavic where a constant elevator stick command is needed for the drone to keep it's pitch for forward flight. In horizon the quad can roll or flip when it goes to the max set tilt angle but the rotation around is automatic & the quad always end up leveled & flat. In this mode the quad always levels out horizontally when the sticks are released.

Angle=the same as Horizon mode but without the auto roll/flip... when reaching max pre-set tilt angle nothing happens. This is the mode most similar to a Mavic in Atti mode... but without altitude hold.

It's totally possible to fly "far, low, fast, sweeping, occasional dives through terrain" in Acro & the transition between "acrobatic" & cinematic" is totally in the eye of the viewer.

I really dare to claim that no one not race competing with smaller cinewhoops flies in Horizon or Angle mode besides just in the beginning when too afraid to go full manual (those 2 modes are actually screwing up your needed muscle memory & you need to relearn if transition over to Acro mode... so a PC simulator is a better start for a newbie where Acro mode can be used without costly consequences).

Thanks for all the replies and information to chew on and digest.

I will say that I'm not a complete noob to FPV per se, as I've spent more time in the past 3 weeks of owning the mini 2 playing FPV simulators (I got Liftoff and TrypFPV) and doing FPV research than actually flying the mini 2. Again, it's an amazing piece of tech for the small size and the 4k video it outputs looks fantastic even without editing or filters, but ultimately it's not what I wanted. I wanted more freedom to fly around cinematic in 4K 60fps for example, with the occasional acro moves here and there, but focused more on smooth cinematic acro, if that makes sense.

As for the GEPRC Cinelog 25 that I had my heart set on, after a little more research I feel like the long range & 30 min fly time of the GEPRC Crocodile Baby 4 HD is much more suited to my needs. I can throw on a naked gopro and get longer more cinematic fly time outdoors, as opposed to a smaller cinewhoop intended more for indoor use.

The only problem? I just found out on another FPV specific forum by some helpful members that the GEPRC Crocodile Baby 4 HD requires DJI gear, meaning a $430 V2 goggles and $300 V1 black controller, at the least. Combined with the $400 for the Croc Baby, plus extra batteries and other things I'll need like battery chargers, etc, this will easily bring the total cost to around $1200.

Given that I was hoping to keep the total cost to around the same as the Mini 2 bundle ($509), it seems this cinematic long range FVP setup is unrealistic for me right now. I'm still returning the Mini 2 as I feel I'll regret it later if I don't and don't use it as much and am always in FPV simulators instead.

Someone recommended to me that I could go with the analogue version of the GEPRC Crocodile Baby 4, and then maybe pair it with goggles and controllers like the following...

Bringing the total combined cost down by over 50%, but then I've seen how analogue video signal looks and it's not pretty, a lot of interference and pixelation which makes it hard to see certain objects.

Thanks again for all the help, I will continue researching and see what I can find around my budget :)

Hi there @Fret & welcome to the forum.

The truth is that you're in the wrong place though... all here is about DJI Mavic "photo" drones & not about acro quads, especially if they aren't labeled DJI in the model name. Sadly the sister forum FPV Drone Pilots Forum is also badly biased towards the 2 pure DJI models... the Avata & the DJI FPV drone.

I would instead recommend a forum like [link removed by moderator] & a suitable sub-forum there, the knowledge is much higher there regarding all other methods to get airborne (also plug & play) besides going directly into the expensive DJI ecosystem which usually lacks cross compatibility between equipment, no possibility to tweak flight behavior & where you must buy DJI quad accessories exclusively.

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you regarding your set budget level ... 500-600$ will not get you into HD quad flying, no matter if you go directly to the DJI alternatives or something else. Your budget will only cover the quad itself but no goggles, no radio, no receiver, no charger & no batteries. Today the initial investment is equal, doesn't matter if you go with any of the 2 DJI quad combos (Avata, DJI FPV drone) or something else, like the Cinelog 25 you mentioned.

The major difference running cost wise will come after the initial investment with much cheaper accessories, full freedom to combine different equipment like props, batteries, radios & receivers... and to this full possibility to mod flight behavior to your liking out from open source firmwares which have a very quick update cycle if something needs to be fixed.

This combo below is also a plug & play kit ... (with no need to build & tinker, solder or tune any firmware)
(Total price is approx. twice your set budget though... you can regulate the cost a bit by choosing a cheaper radio, cheaper charger & cheaper batteries. Quad & Goggles is what it is ... it has to be the DJI goggles & the quad is what you choose).

For instance a GEPRC Cinebot30 bought "Bind & Fly" with for instance a Crossfire or ELRS receiver...
View attachment 159630

A game controller shaped radio, for instance a TBS Tango 2 with Crossfire or ELRS module compatibility
View attachment 159631
The DJI FPV Goggles V2
View attachment 159632
A LiPo battery charger
View attachment 159633
And as many generic LiPo batteries you want in a appropriate size...
View attachment 159635

On top of all this I would put a couple extra dollars on a realistic flight physics PC Simulator. (like Velocidrone).. it's fun & give you the possibility to practice without breaking any equipment... invest 30 hours in it before going out to fly for real & you will thank yourself later.
View attachment 159637

(Even though below is flown with my 5" iFlight Nazgul carrying a GoPro10)... this is the kind of flying you will be able to do if you want to challenge yourself & don't necessarily want to record calmer cinematic more pleasing for a viewer. I'm more a flyer than a audience videographer... this is how I like it.

Excellent flying my friend! So much fun to be had with FPV

Reactions: slup
...after a little more research I feel like the long range & 30 min fly time of the GEPRC Crocodile Baby 4 HD is much more suited to my needs.
I was in exactly the same thinking when I started to fly quads a couple years ago... there I was coming from a Mavic Air1 photo drone (which have like 15min flight time)... & all these 4" long range models had just surfaced on the market. LiIon batteries on them & you could have 20-30min. Also looked at the Croc 4LR then, but settled with another brand. Today I regret my choice... not for what it is, but this with the Cinematic video dream quickly shattered & transitioned over to flying for the sake of having a thrill & develop my flying skills... & these 4" LR are power weak in order to be efficient & get those flight times, which not suited my needs in the end. Also... acro FPV flying require bucket loads more concentration than flying a camera drone... after flying my 4" with a 850mAh battery down during 8-9 minutes, I was totally exhausted in the beginning... the last minutes I really hoped the battery should drain faster so I could land. Also... if you live in an area which constrict you in flyable airspace... you will go down & start to fly low, near & make use of the little space you have, a LR will there be in the wrong place.

So think twice about the long run purpose of the quad... you can always make a more power strong acrobatic quad into a LR than the opposite. If I strap on a 4000mAh LiIon battery on my 5" Nazgul + a Gopro10 & is really weight cautious I get 17min of flight time, fully enough for a cinematic mountain diving flight.

Here the first test flight with a BIG LiIon... no thrilling views, it was purely to test off the max possible flight time...

And here the same quad with a 1300mAh LiPo battery without any Gopro... just the goggle recording, a flight in a confined space just to get the pleasure of speed.

The only problem? I just found out on another FPV specific forum by some helpful members that the GEPRC Crocodile Baby 4 HD requires DJI gear, ..., this will easily bring the total cost to around $1200.
Yep... told you so earlier 😁

Someone recommended to me that I could go with the analogue version... Bringing the total combined cost down by over 50%, but then I've seen how analogue video signal looks
If going analog, yes it will be cheaper, but in a sense you're throwing away $$$ with it... you will later most probably go HD anyway & stop using the analog gear... better to save up some more to extend the budget. If you want to "dip" your toes in this with acro FPV & risk as little as possible with a analog system... which you can use indoors during the winter time, save up for the HD & in the meantime buy & play with a smaller "all included analog cinewhoop kit" like any of BetaFPV's ready to fly kits --> Best RTF Kits for Beginners

I feel I'll regret it later
...and am always in FPV simulators instead.
My advice is to save up more & go for a digital system. You have some different systems to choose among today though ... the DJI first gen HD system with the air unit or Caddx Vista+DJI goggles V2(or V1)... or the newer DJI O3 system... or the Walksnail Avatar system... or the HDZero system. All will be at same higher price end though... so read up, save up & make your pick next year when you've extended your budget. In the meantime you could buy the radio (which is analog & used with a HD system with a receiver module like Crossfire or ELRS)... and use it in the simulator until you can afford the quad, goggles, charger & batteries.

Good luck!

Here's the approach I took...I wanted to expand into cinematic FPV with the ability to also do some acro/freestyle. I considered all the options and settled on the Avata as my initial foray. This allowed me to get good DJI gear (the Goggles 2 and the FPV Controller 2) in a bundle at a good price, while also being able to use that gear for future DIY or pre-assembled non-DJI quads. The Avata is decent enough and a good platform to learn FPV and has the bonus that you can fly it like you would a Mini2 if you want. It also has much better battery life than similarly equipped cinewhoops (like 10+ minutes), and you don't have to worry about all the uh...quirks...of dealing with non-intelligent LiPo batteries. Also, you can mount a GoPro on the Avata if you want better camera options.

So I've been flying my Avata, but I also just got a freestyle quad with the DJI O3 Air Unit, so I easily switch back and forth with my DJI goggles and controller. I think I'm largely satisfied with this progression.

Reactions: Kilrah

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1