DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I will be using a Mini 3 Pro in a hanger with out GPS

Pepperbr

Reactions
I will be using my Mavic 3 Mini Pro in a hanger for a class next week. It will be in a GPS denied environment. What are your suggestions for the following. I will be turning off the collision avoidance. How to keep RTH home off. Any other suggestions. Thank you all in advance

Reactions: b1xn00d
If you have any windows inside the Hanger you might try gaining signal outside first and locking the sats in and then bringing the drone into the hangar is a method I have used in churches, warehouses and is my go to first before Atti mode.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 3 Pro in the Rain.

Last edited:
Set RTH to hover.

Your best situation is one where VPS can function so you have positioning and hover stability. This will keep you out of ATTI mode where the drone will behave like an airhockey puck rather than a shoe sole on pavement. If you have no experience flying ATTI, don't... you WILL crash. Oh, and look like a total fool for your demonstration 😁

Make sure the area you're flying in has clear, non-uniform surface below that the VPS cameras on the bottom can see moving. If your flying over a uniform concrete floor, use some masking tape to lay down some contrast stripes. 6ft apart, test it, add more in between as necessary. Depends on how high you'll be flying.

If your flying all around the hangar space, other objects (racks, boxes, shelves, fork lifts, chairs, airplanes, etc. etc.) will do the job – as long as there's sufficient lighting. There usually is in such a setting.

If not, well, learn to fly ATTI 😁

Last edited:
Inside of a hanger for me I would feel much safer in ATTI (but then again I fly freestyle 5" FPV drones) I would not suggest you do it if you don't fly ATTI much, but I would place the drone in beginner mode and set the RTH to Hover.

I will be using my Mavic 3 Mini Pro in a hanger for a class next week. It will be in a GPS denied environment. What are your suggestions for the following. I will be turning off the collision avoidance. How to keep RTH home off. Any other suggestions. Thank you all in advance

Why switch off OA? Do you need to fly close to walls and objects inside the hanger?

If not, I'm thinking it would be better to leave it on and set the mode to "brake."

ATTI mode usually means...

1. OA will not work, a GPS lock is required for it, so no use to decide if you want them on or not.
2. The failsafe action (losing connection RC-AC) will always mean landing, so turning on/off RTH & change to hover or whatever is useless... the drone will just land.

Reactions: MS Coast
2. The failsafe action (losing connection RC-AC) will always mean landing, so turning on/off RTH & change to hover or whatever is useless... the drone will just land.
There is a thread on the DJI forum where it is suggested that setting the failsafe option to hover is the thing to do, as the drone will hover. I intend to test that at some point since I thought it would automatically land but .....

If VPS is working it should be able hover and hold position just fine without GPS.

If VPS is working it should be able hover and hold position just fine without GPS.
If the VPS have a good lock the drone will be in Opti mode & will be able to hover and hold position (or actually hold ground pattern position) but OA will not work... nothing of this applies to ATTI mode though.

If the VPS have a good lock the drone will be in Opti mode & will be able to hover and hold position (or actually hold ground pattern position) but OA will not work...
Are you sure? I swear OA has been functional on my Mini3P flying indoors in Opti, but of course I wasn't specifically looking for it so I could easily be misremembering.

Gotta test it...

Are you sure? I swear OA has been functional on my Mini3P flying indoors in Opti, but of course I wasn't specifically looking for it so I could easily be misremembering.

Gotta test it...
You test it... OA have in the past always relied on a proper GPS lock.

Thank you all. RTH to hover. I am used to Atti mode so ok there. Will test VPS indoors before demo. I had not thought about the flat cement surface, will modify surface.

You test it... OA have in the past always relied on a proper GPS lock.
I'm guessing I'll find you're right when I test, what puzzles me is why. Doesn't seem necessary if you have functional VPS. Help me out if I'm missing something... probably obvious 😁

Lots of good advice here. Whatever you do, or whatever you think may happen, I can assure you that at some point something will, or will not happen when you least expect it. So, before you lead a class and perhaps get embarrassed in front of those folks, get inside the site and test it out thoroughly. It's not a fail safe for flying indoors, but it's very helpful to understand how it is likely to work before you are performing flight as 'the expert' and have something go wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82