DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Wish I would have known about the Pause button

dougiefresh27

Reactions
Flying within 30 yards of launch, getting pics of my sisters house, looking for neighbors, chasing a cat and doing a FPV on my tablet. Yes I heard the low battery sound. Yes I ignored it since I was so close. But then the RTH initiated and it began to go up quickly. Only problem was, I was under a canopy of trees.
I hit the red X on the screen but it kept going.
Buzz, chop chop. Hop, bzip, whoosh...
Silence. then a 60' fall.
I will test it tomorrow
But it looks ok
So yah,
Apparently you can push the Pause button to stop any current action.
Live and learn
Hopefully I'll have a video up this week on YouTube
Dr. Doug Drones On is my channel.

Attachments

• 20191031_074402.jpg
    20191031_074402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 191
Silence.
Excellent description of a crash . . . best I have ever read. Glad your bird survived.

I may be wrong but "pause" may be overridden by a drone initiated RTH or a forced landing. I read that somewhere (but I'm not sure). Hopefully someone else will chime in and we both can learn.

Reactions: dougiefresh27
Thanks for the tip- i'll add that to my emergency action list

Good luck with your repairs

I just did a test flight
This is what I saw

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-24-09-12-11.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-24-09-12-11.png
    955.6 KB · Views: 180
Flying within 30 yards of launch, getting pics of my sisters house, looking for neighbors, chasing a cat and doing a FPV on my tablet. Yes I heard the low battery sound. Yes I ignored it since I was so close. But then the RTH initiated and it began to go up quickly. Only problem was, I was under a canopy of trees.
I hit the red X on the screen but it kept going.
Silence. then a 60' fall.
I will test it tomorrow
But it looks ok
So yah,
Apparently you can push the Pause button to stop any current action.
Live and learn
Hopefully I'll have a video up this week on YouTube
Dr. Doug Drones On is my channel.
Here is what was recorded on video of the crash. It went up, chopped a bit, fell, got stuck then did a death roll. If I was closer I could have caught it but instead it hit a dirt drive. I wonder how much it will cost to repair. So sad. Where do I send it?
That didn't work. Guess I'll upload it to Youtube and post the link.

I think of the "Pause" button as the "Panic" button. It is my first response in case of anything not going right or as expected. And it is very impressive how it stops the AC dead on its tracks. The only scenario where the "Pause" button is pretty much useless is in case of a stuck remote controller stick. The AC will pause but it will resume going to which ever direction the stick is stuck on. I wish there was a "Stop" button or if there was a way to program the "Pause" button to do that - as in lock the AC hovering in place indefinitely disregarding any stick input until the "Stop" button is deactivated.

Reactions: cuge
I just did a test flight
This is what I saw
I don't think the message about the front obstacle sensing being disabled is one to be worried about; the AC seems to be on the ground (at a very skewed angle) and it was most likely unable to make sense of its surroundings. If that message persists after it is airborne, then you might have to re-calibrate the vision sensors using the DJI Assistant 2 software. Also, if you haven't already done so it is perhaps wiser to look at the sensors state and see if the accelerometers and the gyros in both IMUs are working properly. Any impact, even a slight one, is likely to cause issues with these. I had one of the accelerometers in my MA stuck all because I took it bike riding on rough roads with it hanging down from the handle bar in its original small case. This was how the "Sensors State" page in GO4 looked at the time - note the state of the acceslerometer on the second IMU (ACC1).
screenshot_20191219-150801-png.88449

I guess the jolts and vibrations were too much. Luckily I was able to fix it (the thread is here for anyone who might be curious). So, long story short, take a look at the state of the sensors just to be sure that all is well.

And also, I am sure you will have done this but just in case, replace all of the props that were involved in the crash. Some will say thoroughly inspect first and replace if necessary but I would say better safe than sorry. I wouldn't risk loosing a drone to save myself a few bucks - you can't be absolutely certain the structural integrity of the props hasn't been weakened from a visual or tactile inspection, so why take the risk? Perhaps I am too cautious but I find that it often pays off and it never backfires. Hope your bird made it through this incident without a hitch, best of luck!

But him tapping the X in the app should have as well if the tap actually registered...
There may have been another thing to push after the X but with only seconds to do something and the glare on my screen it did end in disaster

I don't think the message about the front obstacle sensing being disabled is one to be worried about; the AC seems to be on the ground (at a very skewed angle) and it was most likely unable to make sense of its surroundings. If that message persists after it is airborne, then you might have to re-calibrate the vision sensors using the DJI Assistant 2 software. Also, if you haven't already done so it is perhaps wiser to look at the sensors state and see if the accelerometers and the gyros in both IMUs are working properly. Any impact, even a slight one, is likely to cause issues with these. I had one of the accelerometers in my MA stuck all because I took it bike riding on rough roads with it hanging down from the handle bar in its original small case. This was how the "Sensors State" page in GO4 looked at the time - note the state of the acceslerometer on the second IMU (ACC1).
screenshot_20191219-150801-png.88449

I guess the jolts and vibrations were too much. Luckily I was able to fix it (the thread is here for anyone who might be curious). So, long story short, take a look at the state of the sensors just to be sure that all is well.

And also, I am sure you will have done this but just in case, replace all of the props that were involved in the crash. Some will say thoroughly inspect first and replace if necessary but I would say better safe than sorry. I wouldn't risk loosing a drone to save myself a few bucks - you can't be absolutely certain the structural integrity of the props hasn't been weakened from a visual or tactile inspection, so why take the risk? Perhaps I am too cautious but I find that it often pays off and it never backfires. Hope your bird made it through this incident without a hitch, best of luck!
That is great information! Yes, props will go. There could be micro fissures that could snap at any time. I really hope that a recalibration will work.
The video that I will be posting looks cool as it goes up in the tree so close but then you see the end of its ascent.
Video Coming Soon !

Sorry about your mishap. That is one of the things you can add to your emergency procedure list.
I use my list all the time to check off certain procedures.
1. Pre flight Checklist (at base)
2. Pre flight checklist (in field
3.Take 0ff procedure
4.After takeoff procedure
5.After landing checklist
6.Emergency procedure
On mine, I have 10 directives as what to do, when satellite connection is lost. As a example. Good to review Emergency procedures before flight.
I can't think as fast as some of you young ones. I have to go over info, for example my battery did not click in place properly, was getting low battery signal. Surprised it even went up, but that's just me.

Sorry about your mishap. That is one of the things you can add to your emergency procedure list.
I use my list all the time to check off certain procedures.
1. Pre flight Checklist (at base)
2. Pre flight checklist (in field
3.Take 0ff procedure
4.After takeoff procedure
5.After landing checklist
6.Emergency procedure
On mine, I have 10 directives as what to do, when satellite connection is lost. As a example. Good to review Emergency procedures before flight.
I can't think as fast as some of you young ones. I have to go over info, for example my battery did not click in place properly, was getting low battery signal. Surprised it even went up, but that's just me.
Well said. I will definitely be initiating RTH then pressing the Pause Button to try it.
I hope recalibrating things will fix it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica