DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I wonder, would one of the log magicians care to take a look at this log and see if they can spot anything unusual?

Yorkshire_Pud

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I like following these things as occasionally things from them penetrate my skull.
Flight log = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
The story is that it's from a thread on the DjI forum that may have left things hanging.
The pilot is convinced that RTH was set to 65ft and says witnesses agree with that but the log says it was set to 328ft and, following the disconnection at 13:10, the drone climbed to around that height.
If it weren't for the 'witnesses' I would have said the pilot made a mistake in setting the RTH height or accidentally changed it.
I know from experience that, in the Fly App, it is almost impossible to set a desired limit precisely and that it is very easy to accidentally change the RTH height whilst adjusting some other limit but his saying that he has witnesses makes me wonder.
Thanks

Last edited:
The whole flight looks very low, below 80ft apart from a short burst up 137 at 7½ mins.
At the lost coms at about 13.11 the craft entered Auto RTH and climbed slowly up to what I presume is the RTH setting at about 328ft.
I believe once auto RTH is triggered only the pilot can take back control otherwise the craft will continue to RTH.

What are we supposed to be looking for?? The log is an accurate reflection of the flight and the RTH is set to 328, I don't care what people say😲

I keep my RTH set to 212ft.
But, after doing an "update" last night, noticed the RTH was changed to 328ft in DJI FLY App..
So might be an APP Auto Reset Default RTH Height. (bug) ?

Reactions: KansasSkies21
I believe once auto RTH is triggered only the pilot can take back control otherwise the craft will continue to RTH.
Correct, in fact once the controller has regained connection the pilot has partial control even during the RTH.
What control the pilot has varies from model to model and with phase of the RTH the drone is in. During the actual return I have reduced height with a Mavic Mini. I think I have yawed it so as to get a moving panorama, I have certainly increased and decreased the return speed and I might have even reversed it and moved it sideways etc..

What are we supposed to be looking for??
Anything that would support the pilots statement that the height was set to 65ft. I doubt that there is ......but

I keep my RTH set to 212ft.
But, after doing an "update" last night, noticed the RTH was changed to 328ft in DJI FLY App..
So might be an APP Auto Reset Default RTH Height. (bug) ?
Setting a carte-blanche RTH height is not the wisest thing to due, excessive height wastes battery power, in the climb and descent. It also needlessly risks putting the drone up into high speed wind.
Additionally if you never change it and flew where there s a 212ft 'high' obstacle in the return path you could lose the drone, this has happened to more than a few people.
I change RTH height to suit the location.

The resetting of limits during a firmware update and is quite common. Whether or not it is a bug depends on your point of view. For me, no it is not a bug.

Last edited:
Haven't ever seen that value incorrect in a log. To err is human.
Cheers Bud.
One of the posters in that thread did pick up on something and that something does, subsequently, puzzle me.
The disconnection was of 13.8 seconds duration. The Mini 2 starts the Failsafe procedure when the drone is disconnected for 11sec, that leaves 2.8sec for the drone to "fly backwards" along the inbound flight path. Yet the connection was regained with the drone still at the disconnection place and climbing.
I suppose it Is possible that the drone turns before flying along the inbound flight path, which might 'eat up' time, and I suppose the acceleration could be low, but the drone was already climbing when the connection was reestablished and there was no meaningful horizontal movement.

Do you happen to know if there is any signifcance to this lack of horizontal movement?

The manual says "the arcraft will fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to en....."
Two things strike me about this, the 'flying backwards' is over a distance rather than a time (from memory it is time with the M2P/Z) and secondly, the " and ascend" bit. I assume the 'backwards' flight is (irrespective of nose direction) horizontal UNLESS the in bound last 50m of flight included a change of height, otherwise I can imagine a Mini 2 climbing into the bottom of an overhang.

Last edited:
Setting a carte-blanche RTH height is not the wisest thing to due, excessive height wastes battery power, in the climb and descent. It also needlessly risks putting the drone up into high speed wind.
Additionally if you never change it and flew where there s a 212ft 'high' obstacle in the return path you could lose the drone, this has happened to more than a few people.
I change RTH height to suit the location.

The resetting of limits during a firmware update and quite common. Whether it is a bug or not depends on your point of view. For me, no it is not a bug.

Calm down
I fly in one location
I know the surroundings and i still check
if i change location, obviously i'd check and adjust RTH if necessary
You said nothing really.

Calm down
I was and am calm.
You said "I keep my RTH set to 212ft.", which, as written, applies to everywhere that you fly the drone, you did not qualify the statement until post #10 with :-
I know the surroundings and i still check
if i change location, obviously i'd check and adjust RTH if necessary
I gave you sound advice based on what you had written in post #4.
All that I wrote is factually correct.
You said nothing really.
Just good advice and answers.

Last edited:
I like following these things as occasionally things from them penetrate my skull.
Flight log = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
The story is that it's from a thread on the DjI forum that may have left things hanging.
The pilot is convinced that RTH was set to 65ft and says witnesses agree with that but the log says it was set to 328ft and, following the disconnection at 13:10, the drone climbed to around that height.
If it weren't for the 'witnesses' I would have said the pilot made a mistake in setting the RTH height or accidentally changed it.
I know from experience that, in the Fly App, it is almost impossible to set a desired limit precisely and that it is very easy to accidentally change the RTH height whilst adjusting some other limit but his saying that he has witnesses makes me wonder.
Thanks
The app has a lot of minor bugs, I wouldn't be surprised if it reset your RTH altitude, especially if there was 2 people that can verify. Replicating it might be a challenge though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS