DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Ice boating early this year!

Do they float if you went through? What sort of speeds can they hit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they flow if you went through? What sort of speeds can they hit?
Do they flow? Follow?? Basically the boats typically triple wind speed, some even more so chasing is hard. I think being in position and planning movement is key. Also, downward shots would be great art rounding marks. Didn’t do that this time. Just a quick shake out for the new boat

Great video! The music is perfect - I love the combination of the drone shots with the hand / gopro type shots. Keeping the audio of the sail / wind noise in the background of some of the shots was also really a great decision. Your video conveys the feeling of excitement and adrenaline that must come with your sport! Thanks for sharing!

Chris

Do they float if you went through? What sort of speeds can they hit?
Not very well, but ice is normally a foot thick or more. Ice boats outsail the wind and 70 mph is nothing special having sailed ice boats when living in Iowa. I live in California now and it was 75 degrees at the beach yesterday! _DSC9192.jpg

I rode one once when my neighbor invited me.
I froze my butt off and still looking for it.
I was dressed for the weather but was not expecting to be sitting in an open boat in the middle of winter going 60mph.
That was was one of my fears was hitting an open fishing hole left from someone fishing and flipping the boat at that speed.
I think I was invited to help block the wind and keep him warm since he was right behind me.
Great video and thanks for bringing back some memories.

Great job! A fun and different video. I did that many years ago when I was younger and lived in Michigan. People don't realize how fast they go, especially with a good wind.

Really well shot and well edited - what a great presentation of ice boating!!

I grew up in Minnesota and as a teenager I once built my own ice sled from a couple of crossed 2x4's, some sharpened steel plates for runners, a piece of pipe for a mast (guyed to the crossed 2x4's with twine), and an old bed sheet donated by my mom for a sail. It's scary how fast a piece of junk like that can go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada