DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Idiots at a football match

Sangria

Reactions
Reports coming from a Premier league football match in London (Brentford V Wolves) that, some idiot has stopped the game for 20 minutes with his DJI. I'll post a link when it hits the news in a bit.

Reactions: twickers14
Oh 1234, copy cats of that Cincinnati idiot? I wonder if the "powers that be" can trace who watched the Cincinnati video?
Is this one of the Mini's? Newish? The arm stickers are still on, how long do they last?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: heightened_imagery
Postponements or reactions like this are a symptom of societies over active imagination, brought on by the invention TV stations dedicated to only news and repeating that news constantly over and over 24/7. We have become a meek and fearful society.
Supposedly the reason they stopped the match is that it's an unidentified drone, so it represented a threat to the players.

I don't know how high above the pitch it was but wouldn't the fans in the stands also be at a similar risk?

They pulled the players off the pitch but the fans didn't get moved.

A tiny drone (looked like a folding Mavic design) can't carry much of a payload and is itself light, so maybe it crashes into people, cause a possible laceration or two. Maybe serious if it hits a vulnerable part like the eyes.

But otherwise, it's a total reaction.

It must have came down pretty low to be detected.

If it was say 200 feet above the top rim of the stadium, it probably wouldn't have been noticed.

They pulled the players off the pitch but the fans didn't get moved.
It would probably be unwise to evacuate the crowd, if a panic ensued people could get crushed in a stampede, i.e. leaving the crowd in situ probably results in less risk.
If the pilot was an adult or teen and near the ground and visible I wouldn't mind betting they would have been at risk of injury if the crowd had been evacuated and saw them.
Removing the players probably removes the 'interest' for the pilot, thereby possibly hastening the pilots departure.
If this idiot had the drone hover for a prolonged period after play stopped and the players were removed then I guess it was the battery that force their leaving the football ground.

Reactions: orionshooter
Independent article cited illegal broadcasting of matches.

That's the rub, there are billions in TV rights tied up to these matches.

Reactions: Gagey52 and AZDave
Personally I doubt broadcast rights are of a realistic concern to anyone, it might be an argument if trying to make an example of someone but as a real revenue threat I doubt it. Otherwise would not all the youtube videos shot with phones etc. be pursued? Besides which most drone's don't have the flight endurance to record a significant amount of a match. That is just my thinking

Reactions: Don Testme
Well most stadiums everywhere are restricted zones.

But for instance, if someone flew a drone over a 3rd division match or a match between junior or academy clubs, would people care?

I have not seen mention of temporary flight restriction zones, NOTAM's?, for sporting events in the UK before, are you certain the CAA? issues them? I could see they might be issued if VIP's were attending but for mere mortals would existing legislation not cover them?
Of course it may be I am 'blind'. (I have never had the need to investigate such restrictions.)

Beats me why anyone would want to fly their drone at a football match when there are loads of interesting things they could be taking images of?

Reactions: snowghost
It isn't fear of a drone dropping in on someone, though that is a real risk. It is more about someone being stupid enough to make the flight also being stupid enough to crash the drone through some hair brain notion he could fly through a doorway over peoples heads. Once you cross the stupid threshold, not much imagination to see them doing truly dangerous things.

Once you cross the stupid threshold, not much imagination to see them doing truly dangerous things.
Exactly.
Look at that Cincinnati vid, thought it was bad enough flying high over the stadium rim at the start, then the idjit took it way down low right into the arena.
You can’t put brains in pumpkins.

Nothing to do with snowflakes but more to do with liability of stadium owners.

My reply was more in response to the remark I quoted, in the sense that was posted about society now generally.

It’s not likely stadium liability is the main consideration here either, more the CAA rules of drone flight for no doubt recreational pilots, and with public safety as a priority.

At least now we know not all of the idiots live on this side of the pond.

I wonder if your idiot saw the Bengal video from our idiot and thought he'd try the same thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji