DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iDrone - How Long Before Apple Announces Release

MrMavic

Reactions
I wonder when Apple will be announcing the purchase of DJI, and announcing the iDrone. Anyone hear anything on this, or was it an April fools joke?

I wonder when Apple will be announcing the purchase of DJI, and announcing the iDrone. Anyone hear anything on this, or was it an April fools joke?

This makes no sense at all... if Apple goes this way it's time to sell the stock.

Reactions: Timbooo
It's a matter of time. Drone market is increasing and it will if not already caught their attention.

There are other giants eye balling DJI also. There are rumors that Amazon, Pizza Hut, and Tesla have all been mulling bids for DJI.

This makes no sense at all... if Apple goes this way it's time to sell the stock.
Well, think about it. Apple has the best customer service I have ever seen. And DJI has the worst customer service any of us have ever seen. I'm all for it.

If you think about who would make the best strategic partner for DJI, it would have to be Amazon. Their distribution, marketing, return policy, and abundant fulfillment warehouses would turn DJI into a real company who cares about its customers. If they were out of stock, they would say so and not hold yourt money for 3 months.Amazon would never put up with DJIs habit of customer mistreatment for fear of losing their main asset, its customer base. And in additon, Amazons venture into drone delivery would advance by quantum amounts if they had the keys to DJI.

Apple would probably make the worst partner since it could possibly turn DJI products into an Apple Only device which would force you to buy an iPhone or pad to operate your DJI drone using proprietary Apple software. I parted ways with Apple after 8 years of iPhone usage to switch to Android, and Im never going back.

I think DJI should go on Shark Tank. Mark Cuban would make a good partner, as well as Lori Greiner who could use HSN as an outlet and sell multimillions of drones. Daymond John would also make a good partner, Im sure he would introduce new colors for the products and have athletes and superstars advertising them.

My dream would be for Samsung to buy DJI. That way I wont have to keep selling my Galaxys every time DJI finds a flaw in the interchange between Samsung models, android and DJI Go 4. Sold my S5 Active a few months ago, now my S7 is on the chopping block.

Last edited:
IMHO I would be surprised if DJI even contemplated selling up. They have resisted going public and for good reason. If they went public, all the shareholders want is return on their investment in the form of dividends and ultimately a higher share value. Fortunately, DJI has been able to plough all it's profits back into the business. This is great for us as it means insatiable R&D. They have early private investors who have now become billionaires due to the rise of DJI's market share. I think going public is not in the best interests of the company as product development would struggle relative to now given the requirement to pay those dividends. Then competitors would catch up and claw back market share. Here is a good article on Frank Wang Tao, the man behind the brand. Bow To Your Billionaire Drone Overlord: Frank Wang's Quest To Put DJI Robots Into The Sky

Reactions: KMnO4 and Soundtekk
IMHO I would be surprised if DJI even contemplated selling up. They have resisted going public and for good reason. If they went public, all the shareholders want is return on their investment in the form of dividends and ultimately a higher share value. Fortunately, DJI has been able to plough all it's profits back into the business. This is great for us as it means insatiable R&D. They have early private investors who have now become billionaires due to the rise of DJI's market share. I think going public is not in the best interests of the company as product development would struggle relative to now given the requirement to pay those dividends. Then competitors would catch up and claw back market share. Here is a good article on Frank Wang Tao, the man behind the brand. Bow To Your Billionaire Drone Overlord: Frank Wang's Quest To Put DJI Robots Into The Sky

They are ripe to get bought by a bigger fish. Going public might not be in their best interests because of some of their shoddy business practices. They would actually have to explain to shareholders why a product was delayed 3 months, and is still on backorder with most of their main dealers. Thats hard to explain to shareholders who would fire Frank in a second as CEO amid class action lawuit threats and way-behinfd production deadlines.

Outright selling or partnering up with a larger company would definitely benefit them. They need a more positive public appearance, the Mavic delay fiasco set them back in terms of trust from their customers, and their policies of lack of parts availability, lack of repair facilities anywhere but CA, crappy return policies, and negative or cavalier attitude toward their customers is beyond any company I have ever dealt with. They run their skeletal back office with an understaffed uninformed crew, and the design department is light years ahead of marketing and production. Its a miracle they have such a commanding market share.

Many companies start out with a great idea, then the founder just stays in too long and the company starts to go downhill. Frank should step away from distribution and just keep coming up with new ideas for drones. He should assign distribution to Amazon who would make sure a product is released when it is promised and is as good as is promised by the marketing team..

I think Apple wants to do something with DJI but the reality is that the Drone market is very volatile. After you invest billions it could go up in smoke if something big happens like a major airliner drone accident etc. and that would just give the anti drone movement the momentum it needs to create laws that would shutdown the consumer market in most countries. Also does Apple or any of the other big company really want their names splashed in the news every month when someone does something crazy with a drone? It would just hurt the much larger parts of their operations.

I think Apple is positioning themselves close to DJI in the hope that maybe in two to three years time an idiot proof drone can be built. When that time arrives the larger companies will probably jump into the market with or without acquiring DJI.

Rob

Yes, I think apple will buy DJI, and possibly soon

When DJI announced the Mavic they said you can pick it up at Apple Stores. I went to an Apple Store a few hours ago and I saw Phantom 4 Pro's, batteries, propellors, cases and the Mavic and Mavic accessories.

DJI's packaging and general design scheme also matches Apple's. Simple, white box for the outside and then a beautifully designed product on the inside. Top all this with the fact that DJI prefers iOS to Android, and that Apple's own website builds up the very idea of buying a Mavic and it seems that Apple and DJI have already partnered up and both advertise eachother's products.

So yeah, if a company was going to buy DJI is would obviously be Apple.

DJI is not a public company. Apple can't go do an IPO on them, the only way is to convince the owner to sell and you can bet he'd laugh at them since he knows he can do as good or better without them.

I also believe it's way too much of a gamble for a company like Apple, definitely not stable enough and at the mercy of any incident/regulation/media scandal for them to want to dive in. They like rock stable bases and minimal diversity.

DJI being the Apple of the UAV world yes, but nothing Apple would want to touch with a pole.

Reactions: Ebruce
I see apple in the drone business. I can't say they will buy out DJI but I can see them hiring people from DJI or other companies and eventually build their own.

I do agree as someone mentioned that it would become proprietary. Only apple products would work with it. Same as if Samsung was to do this.

I hope DJI continues to do their own thing for the best of our interest.

What I do see coming soon are more portable drones by other companies out there and from DJI.

More space consuming yet applicable and focused in the video shooting area. You'll see this more as families begin to invest in these machines for family vacations and such. This will increase as it becomes more exposed.

Months ago I had no thoughts of recording family vacations with a drone. Now, I'd be lost without it.

As my friends and family see videos I've made with it, they are now looking to purchase themselves.

DJI is one of the companies starting this new technology revolution as drones have become almost self flying so to speak and people are not afraid of flying them as they were before.

Drones is the new way of filming, and more and more people will be jumping on. When this happens... Every comspny will want to be part of it and that's when Apple, Samsung their brother and sister will jump in to make money.

The more competition the better. It opens options to the consumer and drives prices lower.

The problem with going public or another big fish swallowing DJI up is the shareholders/parent company want's a good return. Look at what happened to GoPro with the Karma. They felt the "need" to get into the UAV market. They stalled and stalled as they didn't have the expertise to really bring a polished product to market. Then the inevitable happened. This is partly attributable to GoPro's shareholders demanding higher returns and GoPro feeling the need to at least follow DJI into what seemed like a profitable market. DJI have been in this market since their inception 11 years ago. They've already climbed that mountain of hurdles, made minor mistakes but over time made some fantastic products. You can't just slot in as a Johnny come lately and expect to ride the wave.

The problem with going public or another big fish swallowing DJI up is the shareholders/parent company want's a good return. Look at what happened to GoPro with the Karma. They felt the "need" to get into the UAV market. They stalled and stalled as they didn't have the expertise to really bring a polished product to market. Then the inevitable happened. This is partly attributable to GoPro's shareholders demanding higher returns and GoPro feeling the need to at least follow DJI into what seemed like a profitable market. DJI have been in this market since their inception 11 years ago. They've already climbed that mountain of hurdles, made minor mistakes but over time made some fantastic products. You can't just slot in as a Johnny come lately and expect to ride the wave.

DJI is running at around 30% net profit margin. Thats a pretty good return. and the fact that they are the industry innovators is another good reason for a bigger company to buy them.

However, Frank isnt going to sell to anyone. He keeps hoarding equity by getting funding without giving away any equity, so he is his own man. From what I have read about him, he's a workaholic, perfectionist, narcissist, but also keeps a bed by his desk. He is an innovator but doesnt know how to run a company.

I hope that DJI doesn't sell out to stock owned companies. Look at how GoPro rushed their Karma drone to satisfy stock holders when they weren't ready.

I don't think Apple can design a craft on the caliber of the Mavic at DJI's price offering.

Apple isn't getting bought... There is no way that will happen. As for Apple not being able to do it... You'd be surprised.... They have hired employees from companies that they are interested in. If they can't buy DJI which most likely won't happen then they will fish for some of their employees and build it anyways.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa