DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If I knew then what I know now, I would/wouldn't have......

Paulark

Reactions
I thought it would be a good idea to pick the brains of other pilots who have crashed or have nearly crashed by making one little teeny tiny mistake that cost them dearly. These aircraft have so much information and so many tiny details to be aware of, maybe this will help others to be more successful pilots.

For example, mine would be: "If I knew that selecting the remote's current location for the home point didn't mean that the home point would follow the remote, I would still have my Mavic Air. I wouldn't have selected that location...in a boat, on a river."

Yep, the way that it is worded isn't real clear. When you update the home point and select the remote's current location, I thought that meant the home point would follow the remote. I didn't realize that this home point had to be continually updated by the pilot, me, and when the battery hit 36%, the aircraft dropped the signal, gave me the finger, and I never saw it again. I had been running my boat down the river and it had been following me, so we were almost 2 miles downriver when this happened. And since it appeared to take the shortest distance back home, there was no possible way I could get back even close to the home point to see where it went down. I've been searching on and off for about 3 weeks with no luck, and since I pre-ordered the Mavic Air II, I'm officially throwing in the towel on the search.

But if a new pilot reads this, and they don't make that same mistake, well then that's one Mavic I've helped save. Let's hear about those little details that one might not think about.

Ouch... And yes, wast majority here on this forum has a similar story where we can use the "If...", in it, me included. I told my story when I joined the forum, it involved water, tree line on the beach, signal loss and AC gone. But, we learn and we go on. I went with DJI after losing that AC, until now it has been good to me, hope it stays that way.

I've been searching on and off for about 3 weeks with no luck, and since I pre-ordered the Mavic Air II, I'm officially throwing in the towel on the search.
The recorded flight data will show exactly where the drone was going back to.

I thought it would be a good idea to pick the brains of other pilots who have crashed or have nearly crashed by making one little teeny tiny mistake that cost them dearly. These aircraft have so much information and so many tiny details to be aware of, maybe this will help others to be more successful pilots.

For example, mine would be: "If I knew that selecting the remote's current location for the home point didn't mean that the home point would follow the remote, I would still have my Mavic Air. I wouldn't have selected that location...in a boat, on a river."

Yep, the way that it is worded isn't real clear. When you update the home point and select the remote's current location, I thought that meant the home point would follow the remote. I didn't realize that this home point had to be continually updated by the pilot, me, and when the battery hit 36%, the aircraft dropped the signal, gave me the finger, and I never saw it again. I had been running my boat down the river and it had been following me, so we were almost 2 miles downriver when this happened. And since it appeared to take the shortest distance back home, there was no possible way I could get back even close to the home point to see where it went down. I've been searching on and off for about 3 weeks with no luck, and since I pre-ordered the Mavic Air II, I'm officially throwing in the towel on the search.

But if a new pilot reads this, and they don't make that same mistake, well then that's one Mavic I've helped save. Let's hear about those little details that one might not think about.
Sorry to hear about your loss. There will be more mistakes in your future, and that seems to be the main way people injure or lose their drones. DJI care refresh helps, although you need to retrieve the drone for that. Never think you are too experienced to make a mistake because EVERY day one could occur. Reading about peoples mistakes here is very helpful in flattening the learning curve.

Reactions: mereflyer
The recorded flight data will show exactly where the drone was going back to.

Drove Valley on YouTube has great instruction on all things drone, including crash and fly away avoidance, which i just watched yesterday.

I'd recommend this guide which is essentially a list of all the small things that can lead to a crash:

I've not crashed a drone myself but my own recommendation would be to make sure you're aware of how the drone works in ATTI mode since it can kick in at any time (although rarely) even if the drone is up in the air in good GPS reception. My Mavic 1 Pro did drop into ATTI mode one day unexpectedly on a fairly windy day which the drone could cope with fine normally but immediately started drifting, I knew what the error meant thought and managed to land the drone without issue. I've seen similar cases where the drones have been lost because the drone drifted out of range or collided with something because the pilot hadn't realised what was happening.

This. It was the perfect storm of no data after signal drop, rough terrain/private land, and sheer volume of ground to cover that has led me to here. And sar104 assisted me with the data analysis more than I could have imagined. Towards the end, I really wanted to find it for him as he dug deep into the data and we thought we might have a better idea where it went down. But it just wasn't in the cards. I even hired a couple of divers ($140) to go into the river and look...just so I'd sleep better knowing I'd eliminated that possibility. I finally just had to face the fact that sinking more money into the search for an older model drone that would likely never be found just didn't make much sense when the new one was just released. Trust me, giving up on the search was one of the hardest things I've ever done...because I'm hard-headed and never give up.

The last straw was when I got a tip that my drone may have flown all the way to Mexico. I had to go down there and check it out. Unfortunately, I was met by some pretty rough dudes that smacked me around a bit...asked me a bunch of questions about why I was there and who I was trying to find. I told them I was just looking for my drone that flew away. At that point, they threw a burlap sack over my head, tied my hands and feet together, and said we were gonna have to go see the main guy of the town, El Padron. When we get to this lavish Mexican Villa on the outskirts of town, they finally removed the sack, and standing before me....well floating really (not quite sure how he did that) was none other than the man...El Padron

But long story short, he informed me that if I didn't leave town and stop asking questions, I might regret it forever. So I took the hint and went home. But I tell ya...I think I've seen that El Padron dude before...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej