DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If You Crash A Drone You Might Land Yourself In Jail

Flying directly over someone is something nobody should do. But, if you crash your drone and the only property damage is to the drone, then you wont go to jail.

Reactions: flightmike
It really blows my mind how people seem to base many of their decisions on fear, not facts.

Consider this -- I know a woman who KILLED another person with her car. When she was a teenager, she ran a stop sign (accidentally, according to her). The result was a crash that killed a driver in another car.

This was, of course, just an "accident", so the woman faced NO criminal charges. Oddly, she was never even sued in civil court....I guess maybe the person she killed didn't have any family or survivors who could have filed a wrongful death lawsuit, so the whole thing carried no consequences legally or financially for the person who caused it.

Bottom line -- this lady was extremely careless and she took the life of an innocent person. Yet society treats this like it's not that serious because, after all, cars are common and we accept that accidents happen (personally, I think this is BS -- I think anyone who causes a crash that results in death should face severe consequences, even if it was "just an accident").

Anyway, just something to think about -- does it really make sense to throw criminal charges at someone for crashing a drone that results in accidental injury, but if you smash your car into someone and kill them, that usually does not result in criminal charges unless the driver was drunk/texting/etc.

I personally think all consequences should be treated the same, regardless of the cause. If hurting/killing another person is something we want to prevent, then we should have equal punishment for ALL people who hurt/kill others, even if it was "just an accident".

I personally think all consequences should be treated the same, regardless of the cause. If hurting/killing another person is something we want to prevent, then we should have equal punishment for ALL people who hurt/kill others, even if it was "just an accident".

Well no amount of punishment will prevent a true accident . I'm seriously glad you do not make the laws . An accident is just that , an accident . Reckless endangerment is an entirely different
issue and if someone was speeding in a car while the accident occurred you could evaluate the case and make a determination as to whether or not it contributed to the event . This guy knew the rules and knowingly broke them . The article also states that after his trial and conviction a new video was posted on his company website where he was flying over high school students as the drone was announcing low battery then critical battery and it went into auto landing . The guy is an idiot and reckless . He needs to do the full sentence immediately .

Well no amount of punishment will prevent a true accident . I'm seriously glad you do not make the laws . An accident is just that , an accident . Reckless endangerment is an entirely different
issue and if someone was speeding in a car while the accident occurred you could evaluate the case and make a determination as to whether or not it contributed to the event . This guy knew the rules and knowingly broke them . The article also states that after his trial and conviction a new video was posted on his company website where he was flying over high school students as the drone was announcing low battery then critical battery and it went into auto landing . The guy is an idiot and reckless . He needs to do the full sentence immediately .

Ya know, I don't disagree, but it brings up a great thought that's slightly off-topic, but related.

You described the act of critical battery auto-landing as reckless and dangerous. And yet that's a standard, intentional feature of DJI drones. And yet I only see a few folks actually pitching a fit about it.

Reactions: wayy510
I'd rather see a controlled decent makes sense not to let it drop out of sky. At least they here it coming

It really blows my mind how people seem to base many of their decisions on fear, not facts.

Consider this -- I know a woman who KILLED another person with her car. When she was a teenager, she ran a stop sign (accidentally, according to her). The result was a crash that killed a driver in another car.

This was, of course, just an "accident", so the woman faced NO criminal charges. Oddly, she was never even sued in civil court....I guess maybe the person she killed didn't have any family or survivors who could have filed a wrongful death lawsuit, so the whole thing carried no consequences legally or financially for the person who caused it.

Bottom line -- this lady was extremely careless and she took the life of an innocent person. Yet society treats this like it's not that serious because, after all, cars are common and we accept that accidents happen (personally, I think this is BS -- I think anyone who causes a crash that results in death should face severe consequences, even if it was "just an accident").

Anyway, just something to think about -- does it really make sense to throw criminal charges at someone for crashing a drone that results in accidental injury, but if you smash your car into someone and kill them, that usually does not result in criminal charges unless the driver was drunk/texting/etc.

Like a future "First Lady":eek:

Reactions: Qoncussion

I don't usually disagree with you but in this case I am wondering how you got to this conclusion?

If my tire blows out and my car skids and slams into a pedestrian should I go to jail?

If a tree in my backyard blows down and kills someone in the house next door, should I go to jail?

My feeling is that the prisons are already too full of people that should have never been there in the first place. We have thousands of people in Jail for selling Marijuana yet states are now cashing in on the sale of it like it's free lottery money and yet these people are still in jail!

We have people who have robbed banks that are spending twice as much time in jail as someone who murdered another person with a knife. CEO's of large companies make off with billions and they get no jail time but a guy that robs a liqueur store of $500 gets 5 years in jail. The system is broke but making people go to jail for clear cut accidents is only going to make things ten times worst.

Rob

How many drones have crashed into people?
Not enough for it to be of real concern. What we need is something like a statement that puts it into perspective. More people are injured by getting struck by lightning, than by drones hitting them. Hows that? Im pretty sure it would be true as well.

Reactions: dewster and wayy510
I don't usually disagree with you but in this case I am wondering how you got to this conclusion?

If my tire blows out and my car skids and slams into a pedestrian should I go to jail?

If a tree in my backyard blows down and kills someone in the house next door, should I go to jail?

My feeling is that the prisons are already too full of people that should have never been there in the first place. We have thousands of people in Jail for selling Marijuana yet states are now cashing in on the sale of it like it's free lottery money and yet these people are still in jail!

We have people who have robbed banks that are spending twice as much time in jail as someone who murdered another person with a knife. CEO's of large companies make off with billions and they get no jail time but a guy that robs a liqueur store of $500 gets 5 years in jail. The system is broke but making people go to jail for clear cut accidents is only going to make things ten times worst.

Rob
Rob, ifyou had a drone in your car when your tire blew and skidded into and killed a pedestrian.......JAIL!!

".
IMO,,,I dont think the family should have sued.
Maybe the family saw it as an accident .
Unfortunately It's a SUE happy world we live in .
Frivolous lawsuits for the dumbest things.Just look at the tv commercials some lawyers put out

Are you a lawyer?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143