DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm frustrated with DJI and my Mavic Air....

Mr.Goodkat

Reactions
Around March or April of 2020 I bought a Mavic Air fly more kit at a good discount because the Mavic Air 2 was coming. My DJI app worked fine with Pixel 3XL until that following September or October. I suffered a i knee injury and hadn't used my drone until the following February when I found out that the DJI GO 4 app no longer worked with my phone.

A few months ago I bought the Litchi app but it's still a struggle to fly the drone. I can't calibrate the IMU, do updates, my camera horizon isn't flat anymore, and I believe the DJI app is necessary to fix all of these issues.

At this point I'm very frustrated because even with the Litchi app it still takes ten minutes to get the drone in the air because I constantly need to calibrate the compass and it takes multiple attempts to get the drone started. By this point my battery is already down to 90% or less. If I had known that DJI could make it so the necessary app only works with select type of phone I don't think I would have bought it. I guess I was naive but I never even considered that my phone could become useless for flying it. I don't want to get a new phone just to fly it or buy the expensive DJI remote either. Both are expensive options for an already expensive toy.

What can I do? Just sell it and be rid of it? I liked it when the DJI app worked but now it's such a hassle I don't even bother flying it. After this current experience I don't think I'll ever buy a DJI product again. The drone probably only has 6-8 hours worth of flying it over the past year and a half of owning it.

Is there any other way to do the necessary updates and IMU calibration?

Thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
Around March or April of 2020 I bought a Mavic Air fly more kit at a good discount because the Mavic Air 2 was coming. My DJI app worked fine with Pixel 3XL until that following September or October. I suffered a i knee injury and hadn't used my drone until the following February when I found out that the DJI GO 4 app no longer worked with my phone.

A few months ago I bought the Litchi app but it's still a struggle to fly the drone. I can't calibrate the IMU, do updates, my camera horizon isn't flat anymore, and I believe the DJI app is necessary to fix all of these issues.

At this point I'm very frustrated because even with the Litchi app it still takes ten minutes to get the drone in the air because I constantly need to calibrate the compass and it takes multiple attempts to get the drone started. By this point my battery is already down to 90% or less. If I had known that DJI could make it so the necessary app only works with select type of phone I don't think I would have bought it. I guess I was naive but I never even considered that my phone could become useless for flying it. I don't want to get a new phone just to fly it or buy the expensive DJI remote either. Both are expensive options for an already expensive toy.

What can I do? Just sell it and be rid of it? I liked it when the DJI app worked but now it's such a hassle I don't even bother flying it. After this current experience I don't think I'll ever buy a DJI product again. The drone probably only has 6-8 hours worth of flying it over the past year and a half of owning it.

Thanks.
You should be able to go back to a version of the Go 4 app that worked with your phone. Here is a link to all of the previous apk's: You searched for DJI Go 4 - APKMirror

Reactions: tlswift58
When you say "one until the following February when I found out that the DJI GO 4 app no longer worked with my phone." did you update the App when you switched it on in "February"?
If so, I would try unistalling the app and try the old version from the likes of DJI GO 4--For drones since P4 4.3.16 APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror .
If that doesn't work then I would back up the flight logs to computer etc.. Via a windows computer you will likely find them via the path

Computer/phone's-name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord

(copy the flight record folder to computer).

Then unistall the app, then, using the computer, delete the folder dji.go.v4, them reinstall the app and make a test flight.
If teh app works copy the INDIVIDUAL .txt flight logs back to the FlightRecord folder on the phone, this can be done en masse but DO NOT copy the actual containing FOLDER back. Then, via the computer, open the MCDatFlightRecords folders on the phone and the backup-copy and copy the individual .DAT files back to the phone's MCDatFlightRecords folder.
When returning logs to teh phone you may get asked if you wish to proceed, just answer or tick yes etc.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
From what I gather back in September or October of 2020 Android 11 came out and that's when a lot of issues started happening so it might be a joint issue between DJI and Google.

When I go on the DJI Go 4 app compatibility list my phone is not listed and it seems to be a lot of older iphones and Android based phones.

I have tried uninstalling and installing the app numerous times but it never helped. The screen would auto-rotate back and forth numerous times and then simply crash. In the Android app store there are a bunch of reviews stating the same thing and people have newer phones from the last year.

Do older variations of an app usually have different compatibility limitations? I assumed that a newer version would have the same compatibility as an older one. Maybe I should try the version of DJI GO4 from March 2020.

Hopefully it works and is simple because I have to admit I'm not the best with some of this stuff.

Are you able to try a different phone? That should help determine if it is the phone or the app.

Are you able to try a different phone? That should help determine if it is the phone or the app.

My wife's phone is a Note 4 so it's really old. I thought I dried it and it failed.

I just downloaded and installed version version 4.3.32 from last March 2020 and it won't even try to open. I pops up for a second and immediately goes away. Maybe I should try an older version....

I got the DJI GO 4 to work! I've been keeping up with user reviews in the app store and a week ago someone mentioned that DJI had an update on their website that isn't the same as the version in the app store. In DJI's download center it doesn't mention anything of an update nor is the device compatibility list updated. I scanned the QR code, installed it and its working for the first time in a over a year! I already have the IMU calibrated and the drone updated.

I'm so excited to finally use it tomorrow! Thanks for the responses and help.

I turned off the auto-update for the app but hopefully future Android updates don't screw it up again.

I have Go4 on S5 but it my Note 4 doesn't see Go4 in the play store. The note 4 is my actual phone lol

Reactions: RMS001

Thanks.
Many of us get tablets since they are way better than a phone and it's dedicated to the FlyApp (never used the GoApp) and nothing else. For under $200 and then about $50 for a good metal tablet holder and longer cord - you're ready to rock and roll.

As the FlyApp gets larger and larger and requires more resources - more phones will be dropping off their list (there is a list you can check to see what is and is not tested and DJI approved) that will work. Nature of the business and if you read / search much in this forum - it happens to the Apple people who pay far more for their phones / tablets than Android people.

You CAN load an older version of FlyApp - say before 1.4.0 that seems to work with a lot of older phones / etc and don't update till you update to a tablet or phone that is approved by DJI.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

When you say "one until the following February when I found out that the DJI GO 4 app no longer worked with my phone." did you update the App when you switched it on in "February"?
If so, I would try unistalling the app and try the old version from the likes of DJI GO 4--For drones since P4 4.3.16 APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror .
If that doesn't work then I would back up the flight logs to computer etc.. Via a windows computer you will likely find them via the path

Computer/phone's-name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord

(copy the flight record folder to computer).

Then unistall the app, then, using the computer, delete the folder dji.go.v4, them reinstall the app and make a test flight.
If teh app works copy the INDIVIDUAL .txt flight logs back to the FlightRecord folder on the phone, this can be done en masse but DO NOT copy the actual containing FOLDER back. Then, via the computer, open the MCDatFlightRecords folders on the phone and the backup-copy and copy the individual .DAT files back to the phone's MCDatFlightRecords folder.
When returning logs to teh phone you may get asked if you wish to proceed, just answer or tick yes etc.
Why would you want or need to copy older flight records back to the phone? I'm not a GO4 aap user, so there may be something required there!

If the logs are removed the flight and distance totals etc. in the profile/me section of the App are reduced. Or at least that is the way things stand for me with GO, Go4 and Fly.....but I do not sync so I do not know if that can somehow (without actually downloading 'missing' logs) maintain totals etc..

I have Go4 on S5 but it my Note 4 doesn't see Go4 in the play store. The note 4 is my actual phone lol

Actually it was a good phone and it takes really nice pictures IMO. It was, or is, probably the last phone that allowed the owner to take the back panel off to replace the battery and install a micro-sd card. My wife may update soon but for now, 6 years later she's still going strong!

Reactions: lee8sec
I think manufacturers should be compelled to reintroduce user replaceable batteries. Scrapping a serviceable phone because the battery dies is a waste of money in my opinion. I have replaced a battery in a Samsung S6 and getting the glued together bits apart is a pain.

Reactions: RMS001
Many of us get tablets since they are way better than a phone and it's dedicated to the FlyApp (never used the GoApp) and nothing else. For under $200 and then about $50 for a good metal tablet holder and longer cord - you're ready to rock and roll.

As the FlyApp gets larger and larger and requires more resources - more phones will be dropping off their list (there is a list you can check to see what is and is not tested and DJI approved) that will work. Nature of the business and if you read / search much in this forum - it happens to the Apple people who pay far more for their phones / tablets than Android people.

You CAN load an older version of FlyApp - say before 1.4.0 that seems to work with a lot of older phones / etc and don't update till you update to a tablet or phone that is approved by DJI.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

I actually have a nice phone/tablet holder for my remote that made things so much better, it can hold up to a 10" tablet.
I've looked at tablets in the past, mostly cheaper Android based ones, but it seemed like they didn't have the hardware to run flight apps too well. At least that's what my research and reading of reviews came up with.

So this FlyApp is not a DJI app?

Someday I'd like to have a tablet for flying, the small phone can get annoying.

Can I download the DJI GO 4 into my laptop and connect my remote to it? Its an Acer ConceptD 3 Easel that can be flipped into a big table and has a touch screen.

So this FlyApp is not a DJI app?
The fly app is a dji app, what tiswift58 meant is that the tablet is 'only' used as a screen device for viewing things such as the app.
I don't use the S6 I had to get to run the Fly app for anything else.

I think manufacturers should be compelled to reintroduce user replaceable batteries. Scrapping a serviceable phone because the battery dies is a waste of money in my opinion. I have replaced a battery in a Samsung S6 and getting the glued together bits apart is a pain.

I think the smartphone business is quite stupid be it android based or an iPhone. These things are ridiculously expensive and they are pretty much outdated the moment you buy them. It never fails that only after a month the service provider is offering "upgrade" incentives and deals. I just got the stupid thing! They are just tempting people by tugging at the strings that influence consumerism habits. It is stupid that we cannot change the batteries. They'd rather have people pay for servicing of the battery or pay the monthly insurance premium.

The biggest thing competitors are competing with now is the camera. Smart phones are very capable but after getting into photography last year I'd rather have a small crop-sensor DSLR or mirrorless camera. For the price of some these smart phones you can buy a VERY nice camera that is still more capable of better images. What phones have going for them is convenience.

Last edited:
The fly app is a dji app, what tiswift58 meant is that the tablet is 'only' used as a screen device for viewing things such as the app.
I don't use the S6 I had to get to run the Fly app for anything else.

Ok, I was under the impression that the GO 4 app was the only one that would work with the Mavic Air.

I just realized that my laptop won't work because it's not an android based operating system. Duh.... 🤦‍♂️

You are correct in that it is the only DJI app that will work with the Mavic Air ......but there may be 'after market' apps that work.

I don't understand you there, sorry.

I bought the Litchi app and it worked but it was difficult to get my drone started. I think the biggest issue was that the IMU needed to be calibrated. With the Litchi app I couldn't do the necessary calibrations, updates, etc.

I thought maybe I could download the DJI GO 4 app on my laptop from the download center but it has a Microsoft operating system, not the necessary Android operating system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S