DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm going to a destination wedding

Rick A

Reactions
Looking for suggestions and ideas for filming it with a Mavic Pro and an Osmo+.....

I would like to film my wedding however it looks like the mouse lives in a no fly zone.
4a4f74e357390f0f10247bb285b94d0e.gif

My suggestion is to map out the number of video sequences that you would like to film. Write them down or use a method by which you can easily access and tick off each shot after performed.

Get a basic layout of the location so that one can try and understand distances between objects.
Get a list of the events that will take place. Weddings have many things that are customary that everyone does and some that are not. Ex: Releasing of doves , blowing of conk shell, intertwined arm toast, smashing of cake in face , etc.

Build a "shotlist"

Example:

1. Hover at 150 feet over venue and then decend to an altitude of 30 feet using a slow decend -This captures overall look and feel
2. Create a focal point of the and do either a clockwise or counterclockwise rotational shot from a distance of 50 feet in radius and 30 feet in height.
3. Hover at 20 feet and a distance of 200 feet away and slowly move toward the procession.
4. O - (means switch to Osmo) - Walk towards bride and groom from a distance of 30 feet and slowly move right.
5.O - (means switch to Osmo) - Walk towards bride and groom from a distance of 30 feet and slowly move left.
You can also create sections within the shotlist like

Extras
1. O- Cake cutting slow zoom
2. O - Gifts table slow zoom on names on cards addressed to bride and groom.
3. O- Children dressed up - flower girl petals landing on ground

If you get stuck for ideas with creative shooting of weddings then start viewing YouTube wedding videos with drone shots and handheld shots . Then pause the video when you see something new or exciting to the viewer. Write down and describe the shot you just saw. Well there is ANOTHER shot to add to the shotlist. This is a helpful exercise to be able to describe the shot that you would like to duplicate.

Then just keep adding to the shotlist. Try to group similar shots so that one can lead into the next and there is not a lot of extraneous flying to reach other starting or ending points (this will conserve battery)

Then when one shot is completed tick it off and move on to the next.

Visualize yourself in the wedding situation and determine your role in your head first.

Understand that there will always be screw ups or unforeseen issues that present themselves. Try and anticipate what these may be and plan for them.

For instance , find a way to indicate to people that your sole task it to provide video and pics of the wedding so that people tend to identify you in that role. Wear a jacket with name tag that says photographer or some such idea. You want people to know you have a job to do and are not there to shoot the **** about what the latest drone can do and how much do they cost. (this is a time vampire! and counterproductive)

The more work you do in pre-planning the more effective you will be day of.

Last edited:
Hello Rick, Mavic Pro is the best drone for travel and it has features of the original DJI Phantom 4 but it's half the size and weight and hence easy to carry. Recently, one of my friends had his wedding over here and the entire wedding was recorded by the Mavic Pro. The wedding was filmed very beautifully and the entire venue and all bridesmaid and groomsmen along with bride and groom were captured. You can also capture high altitude crowd shots and close-in dance video showing love between the couple. Also keep in mind that higher is not always better so try to shoot at an angle. For a destination wedding, aerial footage can give your wedding video a good sense of the surrounding city. All the very best for filming the destination wedding and do share your filmed video with us.

The very first wedding I ever filmed was with a Phantom and OSMO only.... you could only get so many shots but it can still work... If you want an idea, see below:

Great video. I didn't know the people and the video kept my attention the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Acrawford56
Maybe I'm just making assumptions, but be sure the wedding party (including the couple and their official photographers) are fully in agreement on what you should and should not do. It's HER day most of all and you can't mess it up. If you're there for a few days, I might just suggest getting surrounding scenery and not do anything with the drone during the ceremony at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka