DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm new!

Ozeb

Reactions
Had my Mavic for 2 weeks now and am very impressed. I've watched quite a few videos and have found that some are out of date. The manual is not very good and I have struggled at times.
Eventually I found that you have to turn on the Mavic before you connect to the USB port of my Mac in order to get my photos.
I'm struggling to get my flight data downloaded and DJI Assistant doesn't do much for me and continually hangs up. Never mind, I get the photos and that is the main thing.
At age 74 it was either a Mavic or a French mistress and I reckon the Mavic would be cheaper in the long run.
I live in Port Elliot, South Australia and there are plenty of places for me to fly my machine.
I could go to the nearby open range zoo and stir up a stampede or two to get some stunning photos! ;-)
I have the goggles on order.
I use the Mavic with an iPad Mini but the glare from the screen is too much. I'll get an anti-glare filter and see if that makes a difference.
Quite a few of my friends are very envious but I tell them that I don't go on cruises like them. I live in a retirement village but feel like a 10 year old again!
I always get the same reaction when I tell people I've got a drone. "Are you going to be snooping just outside my bedroom window spying on us?" I wonder if people said that when telescopes were invented! I wonder what is the best response? "Is there anything interesting going on that is worth filming?" I ask.

Welcome to the forum Ozeb.
Yes manuals that come with the Mavic are a bit wee to read !
Seriously though, even downloading and printing the PDF manual, you need to read several times, soaking up essential info to keep your drone safe, very important are all the flying features and return to home settings, tailored to every flight if needed.
I’m up in the southern suburbs, haven’t flown down your way yet, but no doubt on the cards sometime :)
Happy flying.

Good for you, my friend.

Not saying it will be better than a French mistress, but not a bad second choice.

BTW, you are gonna love the goggles too, a little better than the small screen for the bedroom windows... Just kidding, of course.

Enjoy!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

haha - welcome to the world of drones!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Had my Mavic for 2 weeks now and am very impressed. I've watched quite a few videos and have found that some are out of date. The manual is not very good and I have struggled at times.
Eventually I found that you have to turn on the Mavic before you connect to the USB port of my Mac in order to get my photos.
I'm struggling to get my flight data downloaded and DJI Assistant doesn't do much for me and continually hangs up. Never mind, I get the photos and that is the main thing.
At age 74 it was either a Mavic or a French mistress and I reckon the Mavic would be cheaper in the long run.
I live in Port Elliot, South Australia and there are plenty of places for me to fly my machine.
I could go to the nearby open range zoo and stir up a stampede or two to get some stunning photos! ;-)
I have the goggles on order.
I use the Mavic with an iPad Mini but the glare from the screen is too much. I'll get an anti-glare filter and see if that makes a difference.
Quite a few of my friends are very envious but I tell them that I don't go on cruises like them. I live in a retirement village but feel like a 10 year old again!
I always get the same reaction when I tell people I've got a drone. "Are you going to be snooping just outside my bedroom window spying on us?" I wonder if people said that when telescopes were invented! I wonder what is the best response? "Is there anything interesting going on that is worth filming?" I ask.
Howdy from Wyoming Ozeb, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

I've flown about 4 trips now and am developing confidence. I especially like the flight path display on my iPad Mini.
My biggest grizzle so far is Assistant which does nothing for me except to update firmware. Is that a common experience I wonder?
The goggles are great.
So far, I reckon it's the greatest experience a guy can have on his own.

My biggest grizzle so far is Assistant which does nothing for me except to update firmware. Is that a common experience I wonder?
What did you expect it would do for you?

The photos are stored on the Mavic's memory card. It's easiest to remove it, insert it into a memory card reader (like this one), and insert the memory card reader into a computer (or wherever you're transferring the files to).

The DAT flight records are transferred using the DJI Assistant 2 application. See more details about that here.

Last edited:
When I do that I can't find any .DAT files whatsoever. The only files I see are .DNG and .MOV files. I must be doing something wrong.

When I do that I can't find any .DAT files whatsoever. The only files I see are .DNG and .MOV files. I must be doing something wrong.
Take another look at the instructions of how to retrieve a .DAT file
How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File

DJI certainly has made it difficult. Step 3 will depend on the Mavic FW version. What FW version do you have? I don't have a Mac but I understand that can add some additional complexity.

Thanks BushWalker. I'll give it another go. However, so long as I get my photos I'll be happy.
I'm on the latest FW, 1.4.

Thanks BushWalker. I'll give it another go. However, so long as I get my photos I'll be happy.
I'm on the latest FW, 1.4.
OK, then you need the DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.6. And, in step 3 you'll want to do "Data Upload"SelectDataUpload.JPG

And, from your first post I'll be interested to know after a couple of months if you still think the Mavic is cheaper than the French mistress.

I do that making sure that the Mavic is switched on before I plug it in. I click on Data Upload and it just hangs.
I went out this morning and it behaved as though I was in learner's mode (which I don't think I was). Wouldn't fly higher than 30m. Distance was limited to about the same. It was OK yesterday. There was a wind warning.

Last edited:
I installed Assistant on my Windows 7 PC and I was able to download data with no trouble. Therefore, it's my Mac/Mavic problem. Strange!

Are the goggles for the Mavic or the French mistress?[emoji7]
They can do wonderful things with virtual reality these days!
Anyway I too have only had my Mavic for a few weeks. First drone for me too and yes, quite daunting and a lot to take in at first, but we will get there - safe flying bud.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike