DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image details not sharp when I look closer

Shane034

Reactions
Hey guys,

I've been taking pictures with my new mini and while they look good at first glance, when I zoom in the details are out of focus.

Being a photographer I assumed it may have been the f2.8. But seeing as it's not adjustable I'm guessing it's not that. It's new so the firmwares up to date.Ive been using the auto mode and the shutter button on the right of the controller.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hey guys,

I've been taking pictures with my new mini and while they look good at first glance, when I zoom in the details are out of focus.

Being a photographer I assumed it may have been the f2.8. But seeing as it's not adjustable I'm guessing it's not that. It's new so the firmwares up to date.Ive been using the auto mode and the shutter button on the right of the controller.

Any ideas?

Cheers
You would need to post some "for instance" pictures for any valuable incite. Other than that you will just get guesses, but first and foremost, Auto will not yield the "best results that this Mini can take. You say new Mini, and this is the Mini thread, so will assume your not talking Mini 2 and that this is a new unit, not just new to you?

Hey guys,

There are several possibilities but without examples, it's not possible to give useful comments.
The camera can produce sharp images at f2.8 and has a truckload of depth of field, so that's probably not the issue though.

Just because it is new does not necessarily mean that the firmware is up to date...something to check out
Firmware updates make very little difference to anything.
It certainly won't make any difference to image sharpness.

Last edited:
Hey all, I've only had the drone a few days so I may be doing something wrong. I've just been pressing the camera button and assuming autofocus will do the rest. But I read somewhere you need to touch an object on the screen if you want it set to infinity?

Can you set it to infinity in the settings or do you have to touch the focus point on the screen before every shot?

Cheers

Hey all, I've only had the drone a few days so I may be doing something wrong. I've just been pressing the camera button and assuming autofocus will do the rest. But I read somewhere you need to touch an object on the screen if you want it set to infinity?

Can you set it to infinity in the settings or do you have to touch the focus point on the screen before every shot?

Cheers
I don't think you have tap to focus, your fixed as far as I knew??? Where are you seeing a adjustable focus reference? I highly doubt DJI is putting any adjustable focus in that model as that is saved for a more advanced system and normal people hated it. I think you might be getting confused.

Trust me mine drives me nuts, with all the beeping in Auto focus mode. Auto (that I referenced in yours) sets your iso and such, not the focus as in a Mavic 2 series. Yours has a minimum focus from subject, but should be set from factory with infinity. So with some pictures we can see if your lens is off or you have edge distortion or soft corner...ect.

Last edited:
I think I've solved it. The pictures seem to be stored as lower quality on the drones sd card and dji app folder, but it's sending the higher quality ones to my phone's picture folder. I kept looking at my favorite pics in those other folders and they sucked yet those same images in my phone's folder were much sharper. Live and learn lol

Attachments

• Photo_6553784_DJI_184_jpg_6017342_0_20214269932_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553784_DJI_184_jpg_6017342_0_20214269932_photo_original.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: Armillaria
I think I've solved it. The pictures seem to be stored as lower quality on the drones sd card and dji app folder, but it's sending the higher quality ones to my phone's picture folder. I kept looking at my favorite pics in those other folders and they sucked yet those same images in my phone's folder were much sharper. Live and learn lol
That would have been solved almost instantly if you'd posted sample images.
But usually the full sized image files are saved direct to the SD card.

Perhaps you might care to post some sample images for confirmation?
I won't hold my breath waiting though.

That would have been solved almost instantly if you'd posted sample images.
But usually the full sized image files are saved direct to the SD card.

Perhaps you might care to post some sample images for confirmation?
I won't hold my breath waiting though.
Yeah apologies. I only have a phone so sorting through them was a battle. See my post above though, I'm happy enough with that as a newbie.

Reactions: Meta4
Yes .. that's 4000 x 3000 so it's a full-sized image
Catherine Hill Bay looks good this time of year.

Cheers
Both Mini models have fixed focus lenses, so if they are really out of focus, the only remedy is to open the camera and adjust it, which you don't want to try to do yourself. Touching the screen in photo mode does not change the focus; it changes the light metering to "point" mode and optimizes the exposure for the area of the image around where you touched. It's very useful when you have, e.g., a bright sky but dark ground, and you want the exposure to favor ground details (at the expense of possibly blowing out detail in the sky). It doesn't do anything in video mode, however -- no point mode for video. It seems this feature was carried over from other DJI models, but oddly, it isn't mentioned in the Mini users manual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000