DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image Distortion and Infinity/Marco Slider M2P

GCava

Reactions
Hi Folks,
Excuse if this is a dumb question but I have looked through my settings and manual and am a bit stuck!
I am not sure what setting I have selected whilst in flight but a) a slider has appeared on the display of the smart controller which shows a infinity symbol and the macro flower symbol.
I wasn't able to de-select this so put the slider onto infinity , obviously some autofocus setting . And b) the result of this is that the images are distorted at the edges, like a fish eye effect.....
at least that is what I gather is the cause of the distortion. Any advice appreciated.

That slider appears by selecting manual focus instead of auto focus. Near the top right there is a simple AF/MF toggle and each tap changes between the two.

The distortion isn't related directly. There are two video modes, one is FOV which is effectively the full sensor, a little wider field of view. The other is the HQ setting which crops it slightly with a tighter field of view.

There are several ways of dealing with the slight distortion, including some presets for Premiere Pro that make it pretty much a single mouse click fix.

That slider appears by selecting manual focus instead of auto focus. Near the top right there is a simple AF/MF toggle and each tap changes between the two.

The distortion isn't related directly. There are two video modes, one is FOV which is effectively the full sensor, a little wider field of view. The other is the HQ setting which crops it slightly with a tighter field of view.

There are several ways of dealing with the slight distortion, including some presets for Premiere Pro that make it pretty much a single mouse click fix.
Thank you.
I am using Lightroom CC and I think there is a feature to correct lens distortion there also. I will investigate.

If you are shooting raw/DNG Lightroom will see the built in lens info and apply it. You can’t turn it off. Jpgs have applied in the drone jpg algorithm.

The M2 Pro has severe distortion due to the retro focus design of the lens. It’s made much worse angling the camera up or down. Aiming up of center causes the horizon to bend up at the edges aiming down horizon curves down at edges. More you aim up or down the worse the effect.

In raws loaded into LR or ACR this will not show this distortion again as Adobe reads the lens info and corrects the distortion. so make sure you have the latest version of adobe camera raw. You should be a CC 2018 or higher.

The AF/MF control is only for focus.

Selecting the infinity spot on the screen most often is not the best infinity. I prefer to use AF hit a spot in the distance, get confirmation then switch to MF. You may have better luck turning on focus peaking if you want to try manually focusing. Since you can zoom the live view to 100 percent to really check focus IMO manual focus on distances is pretty much a waste of time. The AF is most times accurate unless you are shooting in low light.

Paul C

Looks like i have accidentally been selecting that when hitting the settings button in the top right....

If you are shooting raw/DNG Lightroom will see the built in lens info and apply it. You can’t turn it off. Jpgs have applied in the drone jpg algorithm.

The M2 Pro has severe distortion due to the retro focus design of the lens. It’s made much worse angling the camera up or down. Aiming up of center causes the horizon to bend up at the edges aiming down horizon curves down at edges. More you aim up or down the worse the effect.

In raws loaded into LR or ACR this will not show this distortion again as Adobe reads the lens info and corrects the distortion. so make sure you have the latest version of adobe camera raw. You should be a CC 2018 or higher.

The AF/MF control is only for focus.

Selecting the infinity spot on the screen most often is not the best infinity. I prefer to use AF hit a spot in the distance, get confirmation then switch to MF. You may have better luck turning on focus peaking if you want to try manually focusing. Since you can zoom the live view to 100 percent to really check focus IMO manual focus on distances is pretty much a waste of time. The AF is most times accurate unless you are shooting in low light.

Paul C

Thank you Paul. Yes I am shooting in RAW and have no issues with photos so far in AF, and am using the most current version of lightroom CC......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr