DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image gets blurry when zooming in after exporting

lukas123

Reactions
Hello.I am beginner at editing photos and just started out. I have taken a panorama image and did some editing in Lightroom.
The original image zoomed in: (It is opened by default Image preview program in windows 10 )
1616791496686.png

The edited image and exported , I cant even zoom in that much and you can see its very blurry.

1616791558548.png

I have exported with the following parameters:
1616791702782.png

Can someone help me understand what causes the image to blur when zooming in after exporting? Thanks..

Untick below option ... with that ticked you downsize the pic. massively.

1616793745360.png

Reactions: brett8883
That will not be visible at all ... look at the export settings again, he's resizing down the pic to 1600pixels wide with 72ppi.
I concur. The resize down is the issue.

Unchecking could leave you with a big file from a multi-photo pano though. If you want to share online I’d go with between 3000-5000 on the long side.

JPEG quality over 70% is basically indistinguishable from 100%. Turning down the JPEG quality would actually help with the file size of the higher resolution photo. I’d turn this down to 50-70% for sharing online maybe even more if needed.

I’m actually not even sure what changing the PPI in addition to the resolution even does?
The ppi doesn't matter if you just want to look at the pic on a screen but if you want to print it you need to have something between 250-300ppi preferably. Increasing the ppi decrease the physical size of the print... Trying to print something 1600pix wide in 72ppi will just create a color blob on the paper. Setting the same to 300ppi will create a detailed print but it will be in a thumbnail size.

Reactions: brett8883
Thank you for the responses all. Could you clarify me regarding resize to fit option and when it is good to use? I have watched multiple youtube videos about exporting mavic air 2 images, and most people seemed to use resize to fit option ticked with 1600 pixels. Is that generally good to use for normal images?

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses all. Could you clarify me regarding resize to fit option and when it is good to use? I have watched multiple youtube videos about exporting mavic air 2 images, and most people seemed to use resize to fit option ticked with 1600 pixels. Is that generally good to use for normal images?
Why do you want to reduce the size of the image?

Why do you want to reduce the size of the image?
I do not know. I just want to know what are the best export settings for sharing the image in the web format. For some reason most tutorials I have seen used this resize option to 1600px. There must be a reason why they do it?

...Could you clarify me regarding resize to fit option and when it is good to use?
...most people seemed to use resize to fit option ticked with 1600 pixels. Is that generally good to use for normal images?
It all depends on how you will be using the pic ... not one setting will be good for all, it doesn't exist anything "in general".

If you resize the pic so it's full size is for instance 1440pix wide it will in 100% size (zoom) be good for viewing in a modern smart phone in portrait, if turning the phone in landscape you need the double to fill the phone screen ... a tad small for a usual computer wide screen. 100% size meaning that you can't zoom in any further without degrading.
----------------------------------------------
The PPI setting is what connects your pictures pixel dimension (in your case 1600pix wide x something high) to a physical size in for instance inch when you make a print.

If having only 72PPI (pixels per inch) on a 1600pix wide picture means that it will be 1600/72= 22,2 inch wide printed... but the resolution will be VERY bad. If you instead use 250PPI the finished print will be 1600/250= 6,4 inch, a lot smaller but with a good separation between the objects in the pic... a good resolution.

... I have seen used this resize option to 1600px. There must be a reason why they do it?
If you resize to 1600pix it's ok for viewing on a phone or a computer screen ... but don't expect to be able to zoom in without degrading the pic. They do it to get a small Mb size picture, faster to upload & takes up less space to store ...

I do not know. I just want to know what are the best export settings for sharing the image in the web format. For some reason most tutorials I have seen used this resize option to 1600px. There must be a reason why they do it?
Unless you have a particular reason to want to resize the image, just leave it untouched.
Any resizing will lose detail.
The more it's reduced, the more that's lost.

Reactions: Thomas B
Okay, so if I dont care about the reducing the size of the image ( I mean megabytes) , I should just leave it untouched for best image quality?

Okay, so if I dont care about the reducing the size of the image ( I mean megabytes) , I should just leave it untouched for best image quality?
Yes ... it should be obvious that if you want best quality, you shouldn't reduce the resolution of the image.

Yes ... of course.

If this is your original sized picture

1616847683014.png

And you resize it to half the pixel size & watch it in the same physical dimension (represented by X)

1616847794522.png

Which one of these do you think will be the best & hold a higher degree of detail & sharpness?

The upper will contain much more detail (data) & will by that be larger in Mb ...

Thank you :) What about the pixel per inch? Is there anything I should be aware of when setting this?
As said earlier in this thread ...the PPI is only important if you're going to print the picture, just untick that whole settings area as shown back in post #3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura