DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Image/Video quality question

RoadieMunky

Reactions
Hi all,
I was wondering why in my pictures and videos some things, like the trees in the below picture, are... blurry (for lack of a better word).
The trees in the foreground of this picture seem ok, but the trees in the background have no sort of definition (blurryness). I get the same in my videos too.
Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix or is this pretty standard?

Settings from what i can remember;
Picture,
Standard picture - single shot
Iso - 100
Shutter speed - Auto (unless under/over exposed - then manual)
image format - jpg
Auto white balance (I normally set this to sunny or cloudy, but doesn't seem to make a difference)
Style - 0,0,0.
Colour - Normal

Video,
iso - 100
1080p 25fps
shutter speed - 50 (or there about, done a little adjusting, but wasn't too far off)
Auto White balance (I normally set this to sunny or cloudy, but doesn't seem to make a difference)
style - 0,0,0.
D-Cinelike

View media item 1686

Hi all,
I was wondering why in my pictures and videos some things, like the trees in the below picture, are... blurry (for lack of a better word).
The trees in the foreground of this picture seem ok, but the trees in the background have no sort of definition (blurryness). I get the same in my videos too.
Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix or is this pretty standard?

Picture,
Iso - 100
image format - jpg
Auto white balance (I normally set this to sunny or cloudy, but doesn't seem to make a difference)
Style - 0,0,0.
Colour - Normal

Video,
iso - 100
1080p 25fps
shutter speed - 50 (or there about, done a little adjusting, but wasn't too far off)
Auto White balance (I normally set this to sunny or cloudy, but doesn't seem to make a difference)
style - 0,0,0.
D-Cinelike

View media item 1686

Your pic/video doesn’t display, but one thing I know for sure, Cinelike SUCKS for color. Cinelike literally sucks the color right out of a video.
Are you using ND filters? I have Polarpro’s Vivid ND Filter set.
Check out this YouTube for more info....

Hope this helps

Looks quite a noisy picture for ISO 100. Try when the weather is brighter, the mavic air camera doesn't perform well in low light

Hi all,

Picture,
Iso - 100
image format - jpg
Style - 0,0,0.
Colour - Normal

Video,
iso - 100
1080p 25fps
style - 0,0,0.
D-Cinelike

View media item 1686
IMHO I would get rid of Cinelike and change to 2K if not 4K

What it the issue with d-cinelike? I thought it was the preferred format these days. I use d-cinelike and don't suffer any issues

What it the issue with d-cinelike? I thought it was the preferred format these days. I use d-cinelike and don't suffer any issues
To my knowledge it has a lower color profile so you can do as much work in post. With dlog you get a very dull color at first, but you are able to bring back the colors in post moreso then using something like d-cinelike.

Your pic/video doesn’t display, but one thing I know for sure, Cinelike SUCKS for color. Cinelike literally sucks the color right out of a video.
Are you using ND filters? I have Polarpro’s Vivid ND Filter set.
Check out this YouTube for more info....

Hope this helps

The picture is set for members only, but I can't see how to change that.
I was using D-Cinelike as every video i've seen on youtube says to use that setting then add the colour back in post production.
Next time we get some decent weather here in England, i'll try in Normal and see how it goes.
No, not using ND filters yet as I'm still looking into these. Thanks for the video, i'll give it a look.

Last edited:
Looks quite a noisy picture for ISO 100. Try when the weather is brighter, the mavic air camera doesn't perform well in low light

Here is a picture I took on a sunny day (no ND filters), Although a little better, i still have the same kind of problem.
Sorry, I can't remember the settings of this photo.
DJI_0002.jpg

All my tv's/computers etc only go up to 1080p, would I have any problems with image quality if I recorded in 2/4k when playing back on a 1080p?
NO not at all. Get rid of d-cinelike. Shoot in dlog. and do yourself a favor and buy a set of ND filters.

NO not at all. Get rid of d-cinelike. Shoot in dlog. and do yourself a favor and buy a set of ND filters.
Awesome, thats great to know, Thanks.
The Mavic Air only comes with D-cinelike or Normal. Nothing else.
Yes, I'm looking in to the Polar Pro ND Filters, but unsure which ones to get as they have a few. Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your help. :)

D-log is unavailable on the air and would give you a even flatter (less contrast) image such that the amount of detail in both the shadows and highlights is maximized. Such a flat image needs to be processed in post to get a nice looking image. D-cinelike is also a bit flat, so you should do some post to get the best out of your image. If you don't like to do the color correction in post yourself, you might be better of by using the normal mode which will give you a better balanced image straight out of the camera (but less flexibility in post).

Using a ND filter will in general not increase the color in your image. It is a NEUTRAL density filter and is mainly used to get the right shutter speed (2x the framerate for naturally looking video). As the apperture on the Mavic is fixed, the exposure for a given shutter speed and iso can only be reduced by means of an ND filter (sunglasses for your camera). However, ND filters with polarization can bring out some more colors (e.g. the blue sky).

Reactions: RoadieMunky
Awesome, thats great to know, Thanks.
The Mavic Air only comes with D-cinelike or Normal. Nothing else.
Yes, I'm looking in to the Polar Pro ND Filters, but unsure which ones to get as they have a few. Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your help. :)
So a couple things. To start...I was WRONG stating to use Normal vs D-Cinelike setting. See video link...
The video will explain rather than me ramble on.
#2 the PolarPro ND filters have good reviews, however, I recommend the Vivid Series. Actually I believe that is your ONLY choice for the Air from PolarPro. (I will receive my set Wednesday)
Hope this helps, I apologize for confusing the issue w/D-Cinelike Vs Normal video settings.
Happy Droning.....Fly on!

Reactions: rfc and RoadieMunky
So a couple things. To start...I was WRONG stating to use Normal vs D-Cinelike setting. See video link...
The video will explain rather than me ramble on.
#2 the PolarPro ND filters have good reviews, however, I recommend the Vivid Series. Actually I believe that is your ONLY choice for the Air from PolarPro. (I will receive my set Wednesday)
Hope this helps, I apologize for confusing the issue w/D-Cinelike Vs Normal video settings.
Happy Droning.....Fly on!

Thanks for this video.
Takes a big person to admit they were wrong, well done sir. :)
Let me know how you get on with them filters, would love to hear more :)

If you are on a budget (PolarPro filters are quite expensive) you could also take a look at PGYTech ND filters for the Mavic Air. They have a set which also includes the ND32 (for a bright day) which is not standard included with the PolarPro filters.
Furthermore, the set can be bought at AliExpress etc for less than $50 and they have good reviews (Check Mavic Pro reviews).

Reactions: RoadieMunky
If you are on a budget (PolarPro filters are quite expensive) you could also take a look at PGYTech ND filters for the Mavic Air. They have a set which also includes the ND32 (for a bright day) which is not standard included with the PolarPro filters.
Furthermore, the set can be bought at AliExpress etc for less than $50 and they have good reviews (Check Mavic Pro reviews).

Thanks bud! As always I appreciate any/all help.
Love the comradery of us fellow MavicPilots.

Reactions: Janjelmer1
I decided to go for the pgytech filter, and they came today. Will hopefully be able to test them out this weekend, if the weather gets better here in the UK.

1522761388748.jpg1522761396279.jpg

Reactions: Janjelmer1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent