DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Impressed

Ldjuk

Reactions
I have the Mavic 2 pro and also bought the mavic air 2 as a replacement for my mavic mini. It’s obviously light years ahead of the mini but falls only slightly short of the mavic 2. Yes the app isn’t great but that will be tweaked and more stuff added and the night time shots aren’t as good as the mavic2 pro but by god what a machine it is. Flown 3 batteries today and took loads of photos and video which I’ll be processing tonight and they were all superb. Video is stunning and the photos from AEB are awesome. If you are on the fence then I say go for it as it’s impressed me very much. I’d even say if I hadn’t already got the 2 pro I may have just owned this one and had a big chunk of change in my pocket.

I have the Mavic 2 pro and also bought the mavic air 2 as a replacement for my mavic mini. It’s obviously light years ahead of the mini but falls only slightly short of the mavic 2. Yes the app isn’t great but that will be tweaked and more stuff added and the night time shots aren’t as good as the mavic2 pro but by god what a machine it is. Flown 3 batteries today and took loads of photos and video which I’ll be processing tonight and they were all superb. Video is stunning and the photos from AEB are awesome. If you are on the fence then I say go for it as it’s impressed me very much. I’d even say if I hadn’t already got the 2 pro I may have just owned this one and had a big chunk of change in my pocket.

Have you tried auto JPEG (HDR), vs AEB + Merge? I'm finding myself drawn to that...and the benefits in post workflow and also hard disk space is enormous...

Reactions: Ldjuk
Have you tried auto JPEG (HDR), vs AEB + Merge? I'm finding myself drawn to that...and the benefits in post workflow and also hard disk space is enormous...

just auto? Is it good, I haven’t used auto on a drone for so long.

My first UAV was a Phantom 4, and then I bought a Mavic 2 Pro, and just recently, I bought a Mavic Air 2. I flew the MA2 yesterday for the first time (4 batteries), and I have to agree, I was very impressed. I shot 4K @30fps video which IMO was every bit as good as the M2P, and I took still images (RAW+JPG) in 48mp mode manually setting my shutter speed, and they too were every bit as good as my M2P. The range was rock solid out to three miles over open water, and the battery life was noticeably superior to the M2P.

IMO, the only advantage that the M2P has over the MA2 is low light capabilities because of its larger sensor. Some would add that the M2P has better obstacle avoidance, but this is the first thing I turn off on just about every flight. Overall, the Mavic Air 2 is now my new go to system for general flying, and although currently, it has my recreational FAA registration on the hull, I think I'm going to be removing that and replacing it with its own commercial registration, adding it to my M2P to form a 'Fleet'...;)...

Reactions: Ldjuk
I, too, am amazed by how much DJI has been able to include with the MA2 for the price. I just upgraded from the P3A and am blown away by the difference in photo and video quality. For the same price that I paid for the P3A almost 5 years ago, DJI included a better transmission system, better camera, faster speed, quick release props that fold so they do not have to be removed for travel, obstacle avoidance, object tracking, and then to top it off they even added ADS-B in so that I am informed of manned aircraft in my area and it even shows me on the map where that manned aircraft is located and which direction it is flying.

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the ADS-B system. Even though I am not within 5 miles of an airport, we do have a smaller local airport almost 20 miles away. Since we are right in the flight path for arriving aircraft we will have planes overhead around 3K to 5K in altitude as they approach, which is why I never climb above 200 feet when flying around the house. So I have had several times now where the system alerted me of incoming AC. Even though the system does not show the altitude of the manned aircraft, I have noticed the system has different levels of alert. If the manned aircraft is far away and not heading for me, there is just a general warning on the screen. If the AC is far away but heading my direction there is a audible alert as well as a screen alert. If the AC keeps heading my direction the alerts continue both audible and visually. I had one example where I had an AC approaching at a lower altitude (the manned aircraft was around 2,000 feet and I was just over 100 feet - I dropped down to almost ground level long before the manned aircraft reached my location ) and I received both the audible and visual warning like before but this time I even had a vibration warning from the remote - which quite frankly blew me away. Now, I do not know if the system somehow knew the altitude of the aircraft or if it was because the AC really was flying almost right overhead at the time that the remote started to vibrate but after using the system for only a day now, I truly cannot imagine purchasing another drone that does not have this system.

My first UAV was a Phantom 4, and then I bought a Mavic 2 Pro, and just recently, I bought a Mavic Air 2. I flew the MA2 yesterday for the first time (4 batteries), and I have to agree, I was very impressed. I shot 4K @30fps video which IMO was every bit as good as the M2P, and I took still images (RAW+JPG) in 48mp mode manually setting my shutter speed, and they too were every bit as good as my M2P. The range was rock solid out to three miles over open water, and the battery life was noticeably superior to the M2P.

IMO, the only advantage that the M2P has over the MA2 is low light capabilities because of its larger sensor. Some would add that the M2P has better obstacle avoidance, but this is the first thing I turn off on just about every flight. Overall, the Mavic Air 2 is now my new go to system for general flying, and although currently, it has my recreational FAA registration on the hull, I think I'm going to be removing that and replacing it with its own commercial registration, adding it to my M2P to form a 'Fleet'...;)...

You exactly mirror what I think of the MA2.?

Reactions: Brockrock
just auto? Is it good, I haven’t used auto on a drone for so long.
I had a few photos that I remember was on Auto SMART and they are about as good as a merged AEB.....Try it and let us know

Last edited:
I am admittedly not skilled with Photoshop, but I came to the conclusion that the HDR (Smart) photos I have taken on the MA2 are better than I am capable of producing with merged AEB.

The attached photos are taken in HDR mode. I also took 5 shot AEB bracketed versions of each shot which is what I used for my comparison. I'd be more than willing to send the the DNG files to someone with the skill to make the merge look good. That comparison would be fun to see.

Attachments

• 4948E4BB-06D2-43F5-99F4-1DB3DA434A0D.jpeg
    4948E4BB-06D2-43F5-99F4-1DB3DA434A0D.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 8D0B3930-1D4E-4751-A66D-CE420AE06D1B.jpeg
    8D0B3930-1D4E-4751-A66D-CE420AE06D1B.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 27
I am admittedly not skilled with Photoshop, but I came to the conclusion that the HDR (Smart) photos I have taken on the MA2 are better than I am capable of producing with merged AEB.

The attached photos are taken in HDR mode. I also took 5 shot AEB bracketed versions of each shot which is what I used for my comparison. I'd be more than willing to send the the DNG files to someone with the skill to make the merge look good. That comparison would be fun to see.
Can you just merge the aeb and show us the jpeg? I'm curious. Thank you

I shot some side by side Smart-HDR - 12MP - 48 MP AE shots last evening as well. MA2 Sunset AE Side-by-Side Raw, jpegs out of the bird, no touchup.
Just focusing on the sky, I much prefer the 12&48 over the Smart, but as for the shadows, the HDR really does a nice job!
What are your thoughts?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580