DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Improving distance Dji Mini 2

Bermanator

Reactions
I can only fly this drone about .75 of a mile and I start to get "lose signal". How can I improve this? Is there a signal booster you all like?

Oh man! That stinks. So my question is can I get a booster to help? If so, what booster is liked by the most people?

Oh man! That stinks. So my question is can I get a booster to help? If so, what booster is liked by the most people?
Some people say boosters can get them a extra few hundred meters. Some say as much as 1km. There are so many different antennas for sale and each one of them has both negative and positive reviews. Basically order one and see if it works for you. If not, return it and try another brand. Although you're better off just going to an area without any obsructions. Also, keep in mind that legally your drone must be in visual line of sight at all times.

As others have said, obstructions can limit how far you can fly. But let's be honest. 3/4 mile is over 3000 feet. I know you can't see your drone anywhere near that far in daylight, even with strobes attached even if the view is unobstructed.

With only three messages on the forum I'll assume and with your question I must assume you're a new pilot. One of the rules of flying is to keep your drone within direct visual "line of sight" (VLOS). My own experience tells me that without strobes the farthest I can actually see my drones is 400'. With strobes during the day 1600'.

Edit: Having said the above, there are further replies below regarding range extenders. I have a Yagi extender and honestly I don't think it does much in terms of overcoming signal loss due to trees or buildings. Range extenders, at least theoretically help redirect signal to the drone, but also narrows the beam, so you have to be pointed more directly at the drone. The range extender products for the Mini 2 and Air2 and s are limited because of the controller design. The benefit sometime is helping to overcome interference as the controller itself has plenty of range for VLOS without obstructions or interference.

Last edited:
I can only fly this drone about .75 of a mile and I start to get "lose signal". How can I improve this? Is there a signal booster you all like?
Boosters and antennas do help. How much really depends on your situation but here’s the best antenna you can get for it.

It looks like the antenna gets connected straight into the remote with this which is good in that there is less loss due to connectors but it’s more or less permanent unless you open the remote again. I don’t see any pre made rigs with boosters for it but you could jimmy rig your own depending on how creative you want to get.

I think the issue with boosters is there isn’t a good dual band one worth getting so if you want to boost it you have to set it to one or the other. Not even sure if you can do that with the Mini 2?

My experience with this is all with the Mavic Pro and the Inspire 1. It helps massively with those aircraft. The Inspire 1 isn’t even worth flying without it. Easily doubles my range with the mavic pro. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Bermanator
Hi,
Its a problem with the Fly app 1.4.8, if you can, use a ealier version. I don't know if you have also update the
FW of the Mini-2 it too?? but downgrade that one to.
If you look at Youtube you will see you are not the only one, include me.

I still have to the Horizon Gimbal problem.

Regards
Cor

It's not a problem with any fly app, transmitter or the drones reception of signals, it's the simple fact that a tree line absorbs and blocks a fair percentage of the signal.

It's just a common fact for all radio transmission regardless of frequency!

Mike

Adding a booster and going past .75 mile with lots of trees. Maybe no Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) in that scenario! If you don't have the FAA Trust Exam done - maybe you should look into it and what the rules are for VLOS.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I live in a very rural area with oak trees, pastures and creeks. With altitude I can get a mile down a gravel road to check a creek crossing. Closer on my property I can get low, down to 30 feet, to check a water trough a half-mile away. I have tried the extender gadgets but found them almost ineffective, a pain to attach when flying. I had better luck with one using my former Mavic Pro. I'm satisfied with the missions of the Mini 2. It's just amazing.

Reactions: Gagey52
If trees were a problem I would not be able to fly, Have been out 4k feet so far. I am in the "T" shaped house.

Attachments

• DJI_0127.JPG
    DJI_0127.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 70
How do you boost the signal the drone sends back to the controller?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme