DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Improving fly fishing technique with help of Mavic Pro (or any other drone)

Lake_Flyer

Reactions
I'm not interested in selfies but I would like to film myself casting my various self build fly fishing rods from different angles. If I play it back in slow motion it would show me exactly how to improve my technique and rod design as well as the line weight/taper efficiency per rod.

I would use somebody else to control my drone while I'm casting of course.

(Now how to get a smooth slomo with 4K/30fps? That's another challenge/topic)

Any fly fishers here, rod builders? Do I have an idea?

It would be a good idea. My brother used to take video of himself high-jumping to improve his technique. What you could do is let the drone hover, press record, cast, stop record, and then review the video. This way wouldn't require a secondary person to control the drone. Seeing that you have multiple dones, you could get video from multiple angles. Hope this helps.

It would be a good idea. My brother used to take video of himself high-jumping to improve his technique. What you could do is let the drone hover, press record, cast, stop record, and then review the video. This way wouldn't require a secondary person to control the drone. Seeing that you have multiple dones, you could get video from multiple angles. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I don't fancy casting while having a mavic hovering uncontrolled, let alone with Inspire 1 on the other side equally uncontrolled. While casting I want my concentration fully on the casting and not on the drone(s). What if someone with a dog comes along at that time? Having a zoom camera for the I1 is helpful to keep the drone out of the way of the fly line at least. But that's a bird that really can do harm if something goes wrong. I will use an extra pilot for sure.

I'm giving it a go soon. Very curious if the footage reveals enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone