DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU calibration error 50

Grakat

Reactions
Hi Everyone

I have had my Mavic Pro sitting on a shelf doing nothing for almost a year as I have been away a lot for work. Now that things have settled down I thought I would take it for a flight. I powered it up, and it asked to do the IMU calibration. I started to do the IMU calibration and it keeps failing on error code 50 within 10 seconds of commencing the calibration. I have googled the fault but there are a myriad of answers from upgrading the firmware to its screwed.

I have tried upgrading the firmware, no success. I could not communicate with the drone in DJI assistant 2. At the moment I have a useless $1000+ drone. Can anybody help?

You probably need to take it outside and do the IMU calibration - just use the DJIGo4 app to update everything. Check your batteries they might likely be dead if they sat idle for a year

I checked that the batteries were fully charged before powering it up. Also have tried IMU calibration outside without any success.

What is under or around the quad during the imu calibration ? Its paramount that you get it to work.

The calibration is being attempted on a concrete level driveway away from external interference.

Agree totally that I need to get this to work otherwise I am the owner of an electronic brick.

Hello Moose

Yes there is rebar under the driveway, the father and law poured the driveway and specified it to take trucks.

I have a football field literally 5 minutes away, so can try there. I am starting to suspect I have an IMU board issue as even the camera gimbal is doing weird things and if I move the drone around by hand when its powered up it takes ages to level out.

Reactions: Moose1967
Why are you doing the IMU calibration outdoors? All you need is a flat level surface. I've done mine successfully a few times on a wooden coffee table. as per the procedure in the GO4 app. The compass calibration needs to be done outdoors and away from metal objects. Are you not confusing the two?

I just replaced the IMU in my Mavic Pro, cost me $30 and took about 20 minutes, so, if that's you problem, NBD. It is best to do ALL calibrations somewhere with no metal or magnetic interference. Start by calibrating your gimbal. I was told that the gimbal will throw an IMU error if it's not calibrated. Then calibrate the Compass, then the IMU (if it is still needed). It is possible that the IMU Module has frozen after sitting for a year. Remove the bottom & the Main board then give the IMU module several hard taps with your finger and try again (this didn't work with my drone, but several YouTubers swear it fixed their's). If you need help replacing the IMU Module PM me and I'll help you out.

I am having an identical problem on my Mavic Pro. Same situation and same outcome. Contacted support and they want me to mail it in...the guy via chat was no help.

I upgraded, and refreshed...but the outcome didn’t change. IMU 1 error code 1 and IMU error code -50 without ever asking me to change positions.

Reactions: Ricardo Jesus
I am also having this same problem. No crash, just flying it around my yard one day, the next day it asks me to calibrate the IMU and fails repeatedly, never making it to step two and throwing an error code. I disassembled it and gave the sensor a few sharp taps and nothing. I have a replacement board I had ordered, but man soldering does not look fun in there.

Has anyone sent one into DJI service for this? Curious as to whether or not they own up to the defect or how much they charge...?

I am having an identical problem on my Mavic Pro. Same situation and same outcome. Contacted support and they want me to mail it in...the guy via chat was no help.

I upgraded, and refreshed...but the outcome didn’t change. IMU 1 error code 1 and IMU error code -50 without ever asking me to change positions.
Guys, changing the IMU Module in the Mavic Pro is basically plug and play, no soldering. It literately took me (and I have Essential Tremor and Couldn't solder if my life depended on it!) 20 minutes to take the drone apart, remove the module and replace it. NO SOLDERING. BTW, use the IMU Module from the Mavic 2 (the module is the same, the mount is different) that I bought from Amazon for $29.00.

Once reassembled, I did a IMU calibration via the DJI Go 4 app and it passed the 1st time!

I am also having this same problem. No crash, just flying it around my yard one day, the next day it asks me to calibrate the IMU and fails repeatedly, never making it to step two and throwing an error code. I disassembled it and gave the sensor a few sharp taps and nothing. I have a replacement board I had ordered, but man soldering does not look fun in there.

See my response to AirAntix above

For those who are having difficulty calibrating the IMU, just for sh"ts & giggles, find a METAL & Magnetic interference free place to do the calibration so you are CERTAIN that interference isn't your issue.

If your not having issues calibrating your IMU, good for you! ;-)

For those who are having difficulty calibrating the IMU, just for sh"ts & giggles, find a METAL & Magnetic interference free place to do the calibration so you are CERTAIN that interference isn't your issue.

If your not having issues calibrating your IMU, good for you! ;-)
Magnetic/metal influence has absolutely no effect on the solid state IMU module.

Ferrous objects will only affect the compass.

This has been covered so many times previously

Reactions: BossBob
Magnetic/metal influence has absolutely no effect on the solid state IMU module.

Ferrous objects will only affect the compass.

This has been covered so many times previously
Thank you for your clarification.

Look, I'm no EXPERT, but I have had the experience where the IMU Calibration is not functioning properly when the compass was experiencing interference. I don't know why, and really don't care. There are several members experiencing this anomaly and I'm merely trying to assist them in troubleshooting the issue.

Does it hurt to find an interference free place to calibrate the IMU? I would guess not. But it will eliminate any chance that the compass experiencing interference is preventing the IMU calibration from completing successfully.

Thank you for your clarification.

Look, I'm no EXPERT, but I have had the experience where the IMU Calibration is not functioning properly when the compass was experiencing interference. I don't know why, and really don't care. There are several members experiencing this anomaly and I'm merely trying to assist them in troubleshooting the issue.

Does it hurt to find an interference free place to calibrate the IMU? I would guess not. But it will eliminate any chance that the compass experiencing interference is preventing the IMU calibration from completing successfully.
It won't 'hurt' but one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
The Inertial Measurement Unit consists of solid state Mems Gyroscopes/accelerometer and is immune to magnetic interference.
The Magnometer (compass) is a magnetic field measuring device that IS directly affected by magnetic influence (since that's what it is designed to measure).

I was simply pointing out that your advice was incorrect and may have some people searching out a place away from metal object to conduct an IMU calibration which is totally unnecessary.

Last edited:
The other thing to reiterate is that people shouldn’t carry out unnecessary calibrations of any type. I’ve flown my Mavic Pro, yes the same drone, for 30 months, and only needed to calibrate the IMU once after some work on the firmware, the visual sensors twice when requested and the compass as required due to travel. A bad unnecessary calibration can be worse for your drone than no calibration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98