DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU callibration issue on 1st flight

G Randy Brown

Reactions
Hi all, I finally got out this morning for my 1st flight with my MA2.
In a huge empty parking lot I went up and puttered around a while and hit the RTH to see if it would land accurately on my 32" landing pad.
It missed by a couple of feet so I went thru all of the menu checking everything and after compass calibration I had an issue when trying to do the IMU calibration.
It got to 95% of 1/5 (I assume there are 5 steps?) and it just quit.
I powered everything off and tried again but got the same results.
What would you suggest I do now?
Thanks very much,
Randy

Hi all, I finally got out this morning for my 1st flight with my MA2.
In a huge empty parking lot I went up and puttered around a while and hit the RTH to see if it would land accurately on my 32" landing pad.
It missed by a couple of feet so I went thru all of the menu checking everything and after compass calibration I had an issue when trying to do the IMU calibration.
It got to 95% of 1/5 (I assume there are 5 steps?) and it just quit.
I powered everything off and tried again but got the same results.
What would you suggest I do now?
Thanks very much,
Randy
That last 5% can take a long time. Be Patient.

Oh, I can be patient...is it something I can do inside or no?

after you have gone through the different moves and positions ,following the screen prompts then all the gathered data has to be assimilated by the IMU and this takes some time just leave it alone till it finishes if you move or stop the process you will have to start it all again

yay, just relieved I don't need to send it back...thanks very much guys!
no worries just let us know how it goes ,and make sure that the surface you do the calibration on is perfectly level

Reactions: pelagic_one
When doing the IMU calibration, make sure the table/surface you're setting the drone on is completely level as well.
Also, I haven't even done the IMU calibration since I've received my MA2 and it flies/lands absolutely perfect.

Depending on the wind that the drone is battling, it won't land perfectly where it took off. Generally on a low wind day (under 10mph), it will land within a couple inches of where it took off. On a high wind day, it will usually land within 6ft of take off position. Remember that GPS accuracy is specced to within 6ft. The vision sensor on the bottom help to hone in on better accuracy when landing, but I've had mine land within 6ft on a windier day.

When doing the IMU calibration, make sure the table/surface you're setting the drone on is completely level as well.
Also, I haven't even done the IMU calibration since I've received my MA2 and it flies/lands absolutely perfect.
My first flight went fine...it's just I thought I should try to do more calulations since it missed the pas (on RTH) by 2 feet and almost all vids I've seen are very accurate (if not perfect).
Anyway, I'm trying to do the IMU calibration indoors and I get "can't connect to aircraft" after 3 tries/reboots.
What next?

Maybe try to remove drone battery, then re-insert.
I typically do a power-on in this order:

1) Connect phone (iphone in my case) to RC controller with cable
2) Power on RC controller (1 tap, then hold to power on)
3) Power on drone (1 tap, then hold to power on)
4) Open DJI Fly app, and either wait for it to connect or tap the "Connect" button in the app

Maybe try to remove drone battery, then re-insert.
I typically do a power-on in this order:

1) Connect phone (iphone in my case) to RC controller with cable
2) Power on RC controller (1 tap, then hold to power on)
3) Power on drone (1 tap, then hold to power on)
4) Open DJI Fly app, and either wait for it to connect or tap the "Connect" button in the app
That did the trick thanks!
1st time I've heard DJI fly last step but I think I'll commit this to memory since I failed 3 times doing it in the opposite order...so I'm now at 95% and patiently waiting for it to do it's thing...I'll report back...thanks again guys!

Well after 1 hr 20 min (still at 95%) I went downstairs to make some lunch, came back up and the drone was turned off...I guess it ran out of battery because it wouldn't come back on (and showed only 1 LED).
I find this strange since I had less than 5 min flight time on this battery (after the initial full charge) but maybe the calibration takes a lot.
I'm topping off my phone (showed 67%) and topping off controller and will try again with fresh battery.

Reactions: old man mavic
Well after 1 hr 20 min (still at 95%) I went downstairs to make some lunch, came back up and the drone was turned off...I guess it ran out of battery because it wouldn't come back on (and showed only 1 LED).
I find this strange since I had less than 5 min flight time on this battery (after the initial full charge) but maybe the calibration takes a lot.
I'm topping off my phone (showed 67%) and topping off controller and will try again with fresh battery.
thats not right ,did you do all the steps maybe the MA has a different sequence to other mavics it has to be done in a specific sequence ,hope you get it sorted

Once you get to 95%, be sure to rotate the MA2 per the instruction/illustration showing in the app.
LOL, I need to get better glasses or something, I didn't even notice the illustration had changed at 95%...it finished up quickly after I saw my mistake and positioned it correctly...thanks to everyone!!!

LOL, I need to get better glasses or something, I didn't even notice the illustration had changed at 95%...it finished up quickly after I saw my mistake and positioned it correctly...thanks to everyone!!!
I’m sure many of us will learn from this thread, so thanks for posting the IMU calibration question.

Reactions: JCO1977
Yes its a common mistake. The step one finishes at 95% and then you have to rotate the drone as per instructions on the app. Once thats done the IMU is calibrated.

Here’s a video on how to calibrate the compass & the IMU for anyone else that reads this thread:

Reactions: DazTay
With all the channels I subscribed to and all the hours and hours of vids (including Billy Kyle ) I watched on MA2 prior to my 1st flight I would think I would have run across that video. :rolleyes:

With all the channels I subscribed to and all the hours and hours of vids (including Billy Kyle ) I watched on MA2 prior to my 1st flight I would think I would have run across that video. :rolleyes:
To be fair, the video’s only been on YouTube for a week

Reactions: Captain MP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada