DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU Heading Error | Compass Error | Exit P-GPS Mode | Yaw Error

drewdrones

Reactions
Hello Guys!

I have been a long time lurker but never had an account so this is my first post.

I am currently in Shanghai, China and I was out filming in the late afternoon. I take out my drone out of my bag, on a bridge (error #1) and it tells me to calibrate my compass, once, I set the drone on the ground and before I take off, it tells me to re-calibrate my compass (this should have been a total warning sign, but with blue sky's and golden hour, something got the better of me. So I recalibrate, set the drone back down on the ground and again, re-calibrate the compass. ( Having spent so much time on this forum, I should of know that there was strong interference and moved somewhere else before I took off ) after the third time, I thought to maybe just call it and go home, but as I set it back down, it says all is good and I have strong GPS connections + signal. So I take off, hover a little, and start taking my shots, after 6:59 seconds, I get the first compass error and around 5 seconds later, it stops. I am a little worried at this point as around 10 flights before this one, my Mavic randomly had a motor issue right after takeoff and crashed (but that's another issue). Around 40 seconds after this I get a: Yaw Error and then a few seconds later a Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode; Yaw Error. Which at this point throws me into ATTI Mode (not a problem, I've flown ATTI multiple times) then a few seconds later: IMU heading error. Please restart the aircraft.; Yaw Error (now I'm freaking out as I am heading towards a building and my stick inputs are not transmitting to the drone whatsoever) I tell my spotter to locate the drone and make sure we still have clearance but after what seemed like an eternity, the controls came back and I came back in to land (after taking a few photos of the bridge we were on)

I have added the DJI Flight Log/Records of the flight.

What I want to know is (because there is a lot of mixed opinions on what to do on this forum)

1) Do i recalibrate the IMU?
2) Do I recalibrate the compass?

Thanks,

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-07-03_(17-52-42).txt
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

It looks like you ended up with a bad calibration on both compasses, as well as taking off from a magnetically distorted location. Comparing the IMU yaw with the magnetic yaw:

The calibration at the start reported success on both compasses:

-67.687 : 1198 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(1)] fill num:[144]​
-67.687 : 1198 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(1)] estimation error:[22.1]​
-67.687 : 1198 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(1)] succeed! bias:479.2 250.3 258.3 scal:3.242 3.258 3.234|​
-67.667 : 1199 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] fill num:[144]​
-67.667 : 1199 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] estimation error:[29.5]​
-67.667 : 1199 [L-COMPASS][scale cali(0)] succeed! bias:377.8 -585.1 232.0 scal:3.493 3.161 3.157|​
-67.667 : 1199 [L-COMPASS][save data] app cali all success​

But note that after you put the aircraft back on the ground the IMU and active compass disagreed by 36°, and the FC gradually adjusted the IMU yaw over the next 60 seconds. At takeoff they disagreed by 10°. The declination at that location is 6°, and so it had not quite got there when the aircraft took off.

Additionally however, looking at the difference between IMU yaw and magnetic yaw as a function of yaw you see the following:

The trace is color coded by time to make it easier to follow, and you can see two distinct variations with yaw, both with the 2π periodicity characteristic of compasses that have not been calibrated for the onboard magnetic field.

I suggest that you recalibrate the compasses in a good location and then just be more careful where you launch from.

Reactions: Roy A
Oh man! Your awesome!

Super cool to see all these graphs, I truly appreciate it. Funnily enough, I was really hoping you would answer this thread!

Do you mind if after the next flight I contact you to see if everything is better?

Thanks a lot again!

Oh man! Your awesome!

Super cool to see all these graphs, I truly appreciate it. Funnily enough, I was really hoping you would answer this thread!

Do you mind if after the next flight I contact you to see if everything is better?

Thanks a lot again!

Of course - I'd be interested to see how it changes after a fresh calibration.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S