DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU Issue Flying From Boat Mavic Pro 2

whiskey_throttle

Reactions
I usually launch from the back of my boat. Lately - if the boat is rocking at all - will get notice that IMU needs calibration. I assume it's because it is expecting to launch from a flat surface. Usually it will decide it is OK after a while - and I fly uneventfully. Tried this the other day - after the IMU calibration finally cleared I took off. The drone then decided to head out with no input from me. Had some control, but was like it was battling a 50 knot wind (had about 5 knot wind). With full backstick - I could get it to stop heading away, but not return. Was eventually able to sort of tack it back to the boat and grab it as it went by. Got it back to a flat surface and the IMU calibration and check flight was fine. Anybody have the same calibration issue on a rocking boat. My phantom 4 never has this issue even in fairly rough seas.

I love flying my Mavic Pro off my boat, but that wasn't always the case. I saw and recreated a simple solution to launching and retrieving my drone while underway. It's documented in a short YouTube video. Would appreciate and constructive criticism and feedback. Cheers! - Salty Doug

Mavic boat launch/retrieval solution

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123