DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In auto, does Mavic Air prioritize shutter speed or ISO?

Prismatic

Reactions
The Mavic Air camera can tune its exposure only by manipulating either its shutter speed or its light-sensitivity (ISO). Of those choices, which takes priority when shooting in "Auto" mode?
  • Lowest possible ISO, to minimize digital noise in the output, or
  • Lowest possible shutter speed, to minimize the decidedly anti-cinematic "jittering" effect in objects that are in motion across the screen
Apologies if that's been answered elsewhere, but I searched and couldn't find the information.

Cheers!

Guess I'll have to figure it out, unless someone comes in late here!

Good question. I will have to look at it next time I fly.

ISO. Doesn't care about the "frozen image" look a single bit.

...but anyway it's not "one or the other" in the first place, since going high ISO would do the opposite of allowing you a slower shutter speed. Aka by favoring low ISO it also favors slower speed...

... it's not "one or the other" in the first place, since going high ISO would do the opposite of allowing you a slower shutter speed. Aka by favoring low ISO it also favors slower speed.
Perhaps, but a given exposure can be achieved with infinite combinations of ISO & shutter.
So in a particular situation, does it pick the lowest possible ISO and then find the corresponding shutter speed? Or does take the current shutter speed (whatever that is) and adjust the ISO as required?
You suggest it’s the former case, but I’m not sure what you base that on. It matters because it would affect the output characteristics, possibly especially when switching between manual & auto on the fly.

Every camera I've ever seen only starts increasing ISO if it is already at the slowest shutter speed it should be using (unless specifically configurable differently). That includes DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada