DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In the field battery charging

Bop

Reactions
how is everyone charging batteries when your car is the only source for charging? I have 2 run my trucks engine to charge my mavic 2 batteries using the cigarette lighter adapter. Was thinking about purchasing an inverter. Anyone using an inverter?

An inverter simply changes the battery's DC power to AC power. It won't reduce the energy demand from your vehicle's battery. I have a Hanatora charger for my M2P. It works on either 12 VDC or 110 AC. To use it in the car, I plan ahead and charge while driving when I can.

Another option might be a large enough foldable solar panel to run the inverter or directly run the 12 VDC charger. A couple of hundred watts should do nicely in full sun.

Reactions: Thomas B and Bop
I charged my M2P with one of these RAVPower battery packs recently and it charged fairly quickly. I hadn't considered it before, but happened to have it with me on a bike ride. It came in very handy as one of the M2P batteries I brought was dead. I don't know whether it's faster than the cigarette lighter, but I wasn't with my car so... My Explorer has an A/C outlet, but it doesn't put out a very high wattage and only works when the car is running.

or one of these larger power stations w/ solar panels

Last edited:
I charged my M2P with one of these RAVPower battery packs recently and it charged fairly quickly. I hadn't considered it before, but happened to have it with me on a bike ride. It came in very handy as one of the M2P batteries I brought was dead. I don't know whether it's faster than the cigarette lighter, but I wasn't with my car so... My Explorer has an A/C outlet, but it doesn't put out a very high voltage and only works when the car is running.

or one of these larger power stations w/ solar panels

Nice, what adapter did you use to charge from USB to the battery?

I just used a simple USB to USB-C cable plugged directly into the M2P with the battery in it. I didn't research whether that was appropriate or safe at the time. Perhaps someone can clarify. As I said, it seemed to work well. The battery or M2P didn't get hot or anything. I just did a little Googl'ing and many people said a power bank doesn't put out enough power to charge a M2P battery, but I can tell you it works. Whether it's safe or preferred I couldn't say.

Last edited:
An inverter simply changes the battery's DC power to AC power. It won't reduce the energy demand from your vehicle's battery.

It will use more power to run an inverter from a car's DC port to convert right back to DC at the charger. You'd be converting DC to AC at the inverter with a loss, and from AC back to DC at the charger - again, at a loss.

Far more efficient to use a DC charger like the Hanatora than to mess around with an inverter.

Cheaper, too, since the Hanatora charger is around $20, and any decent inverter is $25-30 for a square-wave and $50ish for a low-end pure sine.

I have one of these (same type of thing but different model) for when I want to be in a location all day.

With 4 batteries and putting them on to charge as soon as I land I can stay flying pretty much for 6 or 7 hours straight if I want to...

Reactions: Bop
I just used a simple USB to USB-C cable plugged directly into the M2P with the battery in it. I didn't research whether that was appropriate or safe at the time. Perhaps someone can clarify. As I said, it seemed to work well. The battery or M2P didn't get hot or anything.
This is one of those embarasing timesthat I have to admit. I never thought about charging the battery in the drone ? i was totally focused on the cigarette adapter. And i like the power pack idea. Thank you all

This is one of those embarasing timesthat I have to admit. I never thought about charging the battery in the drone ? i was totally focused on the cigarette adapter. And i like the power pack idea. Thank you all

That's how the Hanatora charger can charge three batteries at once - two bare batteries, and one from the USB-C port direct to the drone.

I never need to recharge the controller in any given day - I've flown six or seven full batteries with my MA2 and never gotten the controller to dip below about 50%.

I have one of these (same type of thing but different model) for when I want to be in a location all day.

With 4 batteries and putting them on to charge as soon as I land I can stay flying pretty much for 6 or 7 hours straight if I want to...

Yes, that's similar to the one I linked to above that also comes with the solar panels to charge it or your devices if you don't want to carry the power bank.

Yes, that's similar to the one I linked to above that also comes with the solar panels to charge it or your devices if you don't want to carry the power bank.

Heh this site auto changes amazon links to be "local" and add their affiliate link.
When I click your link I get amazon uk listing generic little phone chargers (in the 20k mAh range) ?‍♂️

how is everyone charging batteries when your car is the only source for charging? I have 2 run my trucks engine to charge my mavic 2 batteries using the cigarette lighter adapter. Was thinking about purchasing an inverter. Anyone using an inverter?
I Also have the Hanatora charger... home or car and faster than DJI chargers... no ill effects noticed on my car or batteries for my M2P after almost a year and several hundred flights. It will also discharge batteries for proper storage.

I Also have the Hanatora charger... home or car and faster than DJI chargers... no ill effects noticed on my car or batteries for my M2P after almost a year and several hundred flights. It will also discharge batteries for proper storage.
I'm buying this right now!. I hate the 4 battery charger now, 1 at a time.

I use the Hanatora charger and it will charge 4 batteries at a time on my home 110 AC, however, in my car 110 AC it quits charging altogether when I add a second battery. So as near as I can tell I am stuck with charging only one battery at a time when using the Hanatora charger in the Toyota. Maybe a newer model would have more power on the outlet.

+1 for the Hantora Charger. Never had any issues and I love that it's so much faster than the standard charger when at home.

Just for the remote, on the rare occasion it needs some juice, just an eternal power bank.

I use the Hanatora charger and it will charge 4 batteries at a time on my home 110 AC, however, in my car 110 AC it quits charging altogether when I add a second battery. So as near as I can tell I am stuck with charging only one battery at a time when using the Hanatora charger in the Toyota. Maybe a newer model would have more power on the outlet.

That may be fixed by replacing the lighter. Is it showing the IN-L message when you try multiple batterie?

I have tried to charge more than one M2P battery using the cigar lighter socket but the heat generated at the plug to the cigar socket could overheat the plastic charging plug, and deform it. So an inverter wired directly to your 12 car battery that powers an inverter with 120V A~C would be a good option, provided you don't drain your car battery if you are not running your engine (on fuel powered vehicles).

Inverter will also need the engine running.

$116 for Mavic 2...I take both air 2 and mavic 2 out with me and with 4 batteries for each I usually run out of subject matter before I run out of batteries lol!

I'm still deciding which to buy, battery pack or charger. Maybe both, I like the idea of charging 4 batteries at a time (on ac). and a portable charging station looks really good in the field. My old truck has a huge battery BUT the DJI cigarette charger wants more volts than the truck battery has if the engine is not running, so, it really does not charge unless we are moving from place to place.
We plan day trips and go to multiple places during the day. Multiple battery charges will make the trips more fruitful.
thank you to everyone for your input - its appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000