DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In USA within 5 miles of multiple airports ..

4Props

Reactions
.. do I need to call all of them to inform them of my intent to fly? My guess is yes but just wanted to check.

Thanks,
4Props

Thanks for the quick response! I just downloaded Hover and see that there is only one airport I need to worry about where I am in Leesburg, VA that being Leesburg Executive. However, when I use the Mac based AirMap app there are another two airfields that overlap with me ... however when I select them I don't get any phone numbers popping up. What bad things happen if I go by Hover's single airport ring : ). Also, what is the best way to determine my coordinates and relative position and distance from the airport I'm calling .. is there a function in Hover that lets me do this? Thanks again for your help

Also, what is the best way to determine my coordinates and relative position and distance from the airport I'm calling .. is there a function in Hover that lets me do this? Thanks again for your help

In my experience, they usually just ask for an address or description of the location.

Reactions: 4Props
If you fly as hobby, you are required to notify _all_ "airports". My personal practice is that I don't call heliports at places such as hospitals and places that have dirt towers. I'd also be in violation of Section 336.

Hover uses Airmap. When using the web version I think it defaults to optional zones. Check the options. Also, you are only notifying the tower of your flight, not asking permission. If you fly there often you may be able to work something out with the tower. You only have to notify airfields that are managed.

Reactions: 4Props and ksmusa
Please understand that when you 'notify' the proper authorities that you will be flying in their controlled airspace, they, may well 'notify' you that your flight would interrupt their ability to maintain separation of aircraft and you are not allowed to fly your model plane.
This is one example (and there are many in aviation law) where one regulation (model aircraft notification) may conflict with another regulation (interruption of manned aircraft operations) and when these conflicts occur, only one of the regulations is the 'controlling' regulation. In this case there is no doubt that 'interruption of manned aircraft operations' will prevail over the model aircraft regulations.
So when people talk about how they can fly in LAX airspace with 'notification', as I have seen on this site, it is just not the case.. It will never happen, so just use your head and don't get hung up on the 'notify' rule.

Reactions: mmoguls and 4Props
If you use the FAA's B4UFly app, it will notify you of all the airports, including heliports and private airports, you are supposed to notify based on your location.

JYO (Leesburg) does not have a tower so you just have to notify the airport manager. There is also the private heliport at Inova Loudoun Hospital that you will most likely be w/i 5 miles of and should notify as well.

Just outside the 5mile radius for Loudoun Hospital where I was on Sunday. I called the hospital in Leesburg and got a standing approval .. going to follow-up with standing email approval. I called the airport twice but did not get through so I left a message with my intent to fly

Just outside the 5mile radius for Loudoun Hospital where I was on Sunday. I called the hospital in Leesburg and got a standing approval .. going to follow-up with standing email approval. I called the airport twice but did not get through so I left a message with my intent to fly

Yep, from what I've gathered, the airport management office is closed on weekends. I contacted the FBO and they confirmed the airport manager was the person to notify at JYO. I call and leave a message with my location, operating radius, max altitude AGL, operating times, and my name/contact info.

Thanks for the notes. I think I'll bring my level of detail up to match yours the next time I leave a message with JYO. BTW on a future occasion I would like to try and fly along westward along the northwestern edge of the park ... that extends beyond the designated launching and landing area of the park but there are very few if any park goers that ever go there. Got any thoughts about that plan?

I've never flown there but I imagine as long as you can avoid any direct overflight of people you should be fine. Are you flying the MP or MPP? I fly in my neighborhood and the MPP does not sound like a typical drone at 100+ ft AGL. Only complaint I received was from a neighbor who didn't realize I was doing pro bono low altitude roof surveys for the neighborhood after our big wind storm. Once I showed her what I could, and more importantly could not, see with the camera combined with the detailed report of her missing shingles she withdrew her complaint and thanked me.

I've also thought about talking to the property owners along the Potomac off Edwards Ferry Road about launching/ recovering from their property to get some nice shoreline shots. My other thought was a kayak.

I think I might just execute on my plan this weekend. I'm flying a Mavic Air.

Nice way to win over your neighbor!

If you get agreement with the property owners along the Potomac count me in! The kayak might be considered operating from a vehicle which is not allowed I think.

Probably true, although you could make the case that flying over the Potomac from a kayak is flight over a sparsely populated area which would then be allowed without waiver.

lol
I'm making some progress on my effort to get permission to fly off the Virginia side around point of rocks bridge. Found contact info for property owner and also person responsible for McKimmey Boat Ramp.

Need to ping the boat ramp person again ... if they don't respond by middle of next week I'll reach out to the property owner.

Reactions: robertkay
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian