DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inability to decide between Air and Pro Platinum

Alvarez

Reactions
Greetings pilots,

I'd like your opinions regarding to the possible purchase of either models above, as the usage will be specific. I kinda did my homework about Spark, then Air; (I opted for Spark then decided to go with Air because of the requirements).

I live in Switzerland, so 'the' drone will be used in three major domains:

* Mountain areas; during casual and/or semi alpine hiking. I'm mentioning this, because the area will have elevation, possible dark zones (signal wise), weather conditions may vary.
* Low density areas; part of the hike above. I don't expect high wi-fi interference but I do need to respect privacy laws so any passage over alpine villages has to be done relatively high altitude, also sound.
* High density areas; city coverage, maybe zones like train yards (I'm studying mechanical engineering, so call it 'I have a thing for trains'). There I expect wifi interference, and even possible interference coming from overhead lines. Again, the device must fly relatively above.
** I'm definitely planing to shoot Zurich Hauptbahnhof, so it's highly dense area, where signal will play important part.

If I use on mountains, I'm not sure if Air will works as intended. I did learn that Platinum Pro has better signal transmission than Air that is working on purely wifi. It'll be complicated if I lose the signal in the middle of nowhere because I was behind a rock or a side of a hill. Same issue applies in urban area due to the signal interference (even busses have their own wifi)

Thus the question is: what drone ?

Platinum Pro (which is 1,200ish bucks now), that is above 500g or Air that is less than 500g (1,100bucks) ? While keeping the conditions of use above

Problem is I can only get one drone, thus I'm asking your help/opinions about it,

Thanks in advance

I'm writing the weight because of two reasons (I expect other Swiss drone'rs' may ask same questions sometime in future, so maybe it helps) Swiss drone laws as the following:

Anything below 500g is unrestricted (except: habitats, game zones, certain wilds, concerts, grouped people below 100m altitude shot). Anything above 500g is excepted to comply blue and red zones that are (blue zones are limited to 150m altitude and red is prohibited zones, that are airports). Related to this:

1. Almost all major city is under blue zone
2. Red zones are NFZs, and requires permission to fly a drone with the airport.*
3. 500g> also requires 1mil insurance.

* There is a gray area (which I expect to cause problems very soon): that drones <500g are specified as light drones, and their approach or NFZ entrance is only limited with the common sense of the pilot.

Your best bang for your buck is the AIR!!! I don’t fly over 2 miles away so the even more compact size is a really bonus for almost the same quality of video!

Reactions: Alvarez
The major reason that I went for a MA rather than a MPP is that rumours of MP2 coming out. Why buy MPP when the price will drop in a few months. Plus as a first time drone owner, I'm expecting that it will be mistreated.

Reactions: Alvarez
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder