DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incompatible phone

LRL

Reactions
I just purchased a DJI mini 2 and discovered the DJI Fly app isn't compatible with my Moto G6 play phone. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Would something like Litchi app be a possible solution ? Thanks

I just purchased a DJI mini 2 and discovered the DJI Fly app isn't compatible with my Moto G6 play phone. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Would something like Litchi app be a possible solution ? Thanks
It may or may not be compatible
So you see
For some reason
They removed the djy fly app from Google play app store
So we have to download the app as the apk from the dji website

Kywon is correct. Try the app before you assume the phone is incompatible the list of compatible phones is a joke. The dji software is absolutely terrible so you never know until you try it.

Reactions: Jam0ne
The dji software is absolutely terrible so you never know until you try it.
Not the software that is terrible
It's the device comparability that terrible

Terrible?
I've not had a problem with it over many years of use.
Most complaints are from folks using inadequate phones or tablets.
i agree. What is it that makes you say it is terrible.
Very interested in what you think would be so much better

i agree. What is it that makes you say it is terrible.
Very interested in what you think would be so much better
Think I was just fortunate when I started flying DJI drones as I was already an IOS user. Whilst researching what drone to buy I read that the software was compatible with IOS and that Android users sometimes have problems . So having flown the DJI range from the Inspire, Phantoms, Mavics to the mini 3 I can honestly state that I have never had a problem with DJI software, or have I just wished some on me, at the moment I am using the iPad mini 5 and iPhone 10 , the mini 3 I purchased with the new brilliant RC. Cheers Len

Whilst researching what drone to buy I read that the software was compatible with IOS and that Android users sometimes have problems.
DJI software works just as well on Android as it does on IOS devices.
The idea that it works better on IOS is a common myth.

Reactions: Johnmcl7 and Romi
Think the questioner had an Android phone, cheers Len
The DJI apps are demanding.
If you try to run them on old, phones or tablets that don't have a fast processor and enough RAM, they will run poorly.
That goes equally for Android and IOS devices.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Thanks for all your replies. The fellow at Costco said it had to be android 9 or higher. He didn't know the DJI Fly app required a 64 bit phone. The moto g6 play has a 64 bit processor but uses 32 bit android. I'm 72 and this is my first drone. I don't want to buy a new phone just to see if I'd use it much. I live on a golf course so thought it'd be fun.
I've read the mini2 is the best in it's class but if anyone knows of a decent beginner drone maybe I should start there.

It may or may not be compatible
So you see
For some reason
They removed the djy fly app from Google play app store
So we have to download the app as the apk from the dji website
I had exactly that experience. I bought my first Mini-2, and discovered that DJI Fly wouldn't run on my phone. It wouldn't run on my tablet. So I had to go buy a new phone, which I needed to do anyway. But it was annoying.

I don't think there's any non-Rube-Goldberg way to fly a Mini-2 without DJI Fly. If you like your current phone as a phone, check the list of devices that work with DJI Fly, and pick a cheap one for this purpose. You could even get a used one.

IIRC, DJI didn't pull DJI Fly from Google play. Google did. Something about not wanting to offer apps that take over the phone as much as DJI Fly does, or some such rot.

I think you're in the market for a new phone...

I had exactly that experience. I bought my first Mini-2, and discovered that DJI Fly wouldn't run on my phone. It wouldn't run on my tablet. So I had to go buy a new phone, which I needed to do anyway. But it was annoying.

I don't think there's any non-Rube-Goldberg way to fly a Mini-2 without DJI Fly. If you like your current phone as a phone, check the list of devices that work with DJI Fly, and pick a cheap one for this purpose. You could even get a used one.

IIRC, DJI didn't pull DJI Fly from Google play. Google did. Something about not wanting to offer apps that take over the phone as much as DJI Fly does, or some such rot.

I think you're in the market for a new phone...
I got a Samsung s8 I'm good 😈

Thanks for all your replies. The fellow at Costco said it had to be android 9 or higher. He didn't know the DJI Fly app required a 64 bit phone. The moto g6 play has a 64 bit processor but uses 32 bit android. I'm 72 and this is my first drone. I don't want to buy a new phone just to see if I'd use it much. I live on a golf course so thought it'd be fun.
I've read the mini2 is the best in it's class but if anyone knows of a decent beginner drone maybe I should start there.
You've got the correct drone, the Mini 2 is great, for beginners or veterans.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803