DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Increasing drone visibility

JoostGT3

Reactions
So, last weekend I was flying with some paragliding buddies and filming them air to air
(see this thread for the result :D).

We discussed the flight plan, separated the drone flying area from the paraglider flying area and only later did I move in a bit closer. I stayed sideways, aft or above the glider, so as to avoid any chances of a mid-air.

Afterward, I was talking with my friend whom I had been filming, and he mentioned that for the entire time, he hadn't seen or heard the drone at all, and it got my thinking; what would be the best way to increase visibility on a bright sunny day?

I know that when in the air, spotting other moving aircraft is one of the most difficult things, so how can we increase that visibility? Just painting it in a bright color or having strobes on will not do a whole lot... I was thinking of adding streamers, or maybe a whistle or so... any other ideas?

I was thinking of adding streamers, or maybe a whistle or so... any other ideas?

Streamers could foul your props, and possibly cause a crash. A whistle might distract the paragliders and cause them to lose concentration.

What your friend mentioned is actually a good thing. The fact that they couldnt see or hear you allowed them to act naturally. If it was your intention to film one while he was flying, you could always get a headset to communicate with him when he is flying so you will be informed as to where he will be going and what he will be doing, and if you need him to do it again if you missed the shot the first time..

As @gnirtS said, get a bright orange or yellow skin so that the paragliders can see it, but if you are above or aft of them, they arent going to see it anyway. At that distance you are flying out of your LOS as well.

This is where the Inspire series shines. One person piloting the drone, the other shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoostGT3
I know that when in the air, spotting other moving aircraft is one of the most difficult things, so how can we increase that visibility?

One last thing. If there are multiple aircraft in the area, your friend will keep separation from them for safety, and be visually aware of their locations. If he were to launch last, after all the other gliders had launched, and you stayed aft and above him, there would be a smaller chance of a midair with any other gliders.

I used to have this problem when flying private planes to an uncontrolled field for a fly-in. Even though there are constant radio position communications, sometimes there is confusion, and has caused some near misses.

Reactions: JoostGT3
bright orange colour probably helps pick it out against the sky but ultimately the things are all but invisible beyond 300m or so.
Thanks! I was aiming to come a lot closer than that though, hence the need for the paraglider to be able to see me :)

Streamers could foul your props, and possibly cause a crash. A whistle might distract the paragliders and cause them to lose concentration.

What your friend mentioned is actually a good thing. The fact that they couldnt see or hear you allowed them to act naturally. If it was your intention to film one while he was flying, you could always get a headset to communicate with him when he is flying so you will be informed as to where he will be going and what he will be doing, and if you need him to do it again if you missed the shot the first time..

As @gnirtS said, get a bright orange or yellow skin so that the paragliders can see it, but if you are above or aft of them, they arent going to see it anyway. At that distance you are flying out of your LOS as well.

This is where the Inspire series shines. One person piloting the drone, the other shooting.
Thanks for you input. That was indeed the plan, but I would like the idea that the pilot is able to spot me as well. I had radio contact now; I had a fellow paraglider pilot sit next to me, keeping an eye on the glider and the drone (for as far possible) and warn me if I got too close. That way I could focus on flying and looking at the screen. The spotter had radio contact with the pilot, just in case.

Reactions: Former Member
One last thing. If there are multiple aircraft in the area, your friend will keep separation from them for safety, and be visually aware of their locations. If he were to launch last, after all the other gliders had launched, and you stayed aft and above him, there would be a smaller chance of a midair with any other gliders.

I used to have this problem when flying private planes to an uncontrolled field for a fly-in. Even though there are constant radio position communications, sometimes there is confusion, and has caused some near misses.
True. I had one condition; I will only fly if there are no other paragliders around. I could just see that scenario in my head, where I was really busy keeping my distance from glider #1, only to fly into #2!

Reactions: Former Member
You could attach some strobe lights. There are a few threads here about that.

The strobes I use are quite effective in bright daylight. I don't have an issue finding my quad out to about 2000 feet (depending on the conditions) using averted vision. I can still see my MP further out but it's harder to re-find it once I look away. Unless you're flying past a reasonable VLOS, I'd think being you are close to a large target, you'd be able to see the strobes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme